<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 PM
(a)

Re: Importing guitars and the Lacey Act - need "country of harvest" for DNA, UVMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2009 View Post
Yeah man screw endangered species that can't grow fast enough to be replaced.
Yeah, make the US enforce it. China doesn't give a s*it. They by far are the largest polluters or environmental "criminals". Their industrial waste is an enormous problem. By far, most of the mahogany and rosewood goes into furniture, not guitars.

The Gibson issue is a fiasco. The Indian government said the wood was properly harvested. Why should DOJ care? It has to do with the political leanings of their CEO. If you think anyone truly gives a s*hit about endangered hardwoods in the government, you are naive. Just like the govt doesn't care about jobs. Otherwise we would build that damn pipeline.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM
(a)
Vendor

Reviews: 3

Re: Importing guitars and the Lacey Act - need "country of harvest" for DNA, UVMC

I've heard all kinds of crazy stories about this. People getting their guitars taken away at airports, Gibson and others. I've haven't had a problem yet with wood and the laws, but Import Taxes, Tariffs, and whatever else they can think of to charge me more is a big prblem.
There are no regulations. After the other countries get the guitar, they charge whatever they want. I have no control over it and I never get a straight answer.

It recently cost me $75.00 to ship a body to Hawaii. I went to a FedEx shipping office, bought the box from them, and had them pack it. A week later I got a bill for $150.00.
I called them and they made up a story about the weight. Shipping is a big scam.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
I've heard all kinds of crazy stories about this. People getting their guitars taken away at airports, Gibson and others. I've haven't had a problem yet with wood and the laws, but Import Taxes, Tariffs, and whatever else they can think of to charge me more is a big prblem.
There are no regulations. After the other countries get the guitar, they charge whatever they want. I have no control over it and I never get a straight answer.

It recently cost me $75.00 to ship a body to Hawaii. I went to a FedEx shipping office, bought the box from them, and had them pack it. A week later I got a bill for $150.00.
I called them and they made up a story about the weight. Shipping is a big scam.
THIS is why I only use USPS anymore..............

Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM
(a)
Vendor

USPS is pretty bad at losing stuff. Also, they have a size limit.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I've never had a problem with them. I don't send out THAT many guitars, but all have arrived in their new countries unharmed and on time.

The size limit only counts if they actually measure the packege.....which they never do.

Thank God for the lazy folks at my USPS office....LOL

Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:

So it cost you $225 to ship it?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Got a message from my HUSA guy--I'll talk with him in the morning.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
In terms of guitars, their size limit is the same as FedEx. In order to ship something as large as an entire guitar internationally, the only service available from the US is Global Express Guaranteed (FedEx). But you can ship it through the post office cheaper than if you went to FedEx directly. The size limitations are typically length and total dimension, but those are determined by the country you're shipping to, not FedEx or USPS. Many countries (Australia for instance) have a 46" limit on total length, which is easy to exceed if you're shipping a guitar in a case.

If you're referring to the 108" total "limit" at USPS for a package, it isn't a limit. They just charge you a small balloon fee if you exceed it.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
So it cost you $225 to ship it?
No they just doubled the $75.00. After I told them I bought the box from them, and had them weight it, they put me on hold. They came back and said it weighed more when they got which is still bull crap because it was their shipping office. When they see I have a business account, they just charge my account more all the time.
FedEx and UPS both suck.
I got a letter in the mail about a UPS LAW SUIT. They were over charging people. I got a check for like $8.00. What a joke.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
In terms of guitars, their size limit is the same as FedEx. In order to ship something as large as an entire guitar internationally, the only service available from the US is Global Express Guaranteed (FedEx). But you can ship it through the post office cheaper than if you went to FedEx directly. The size limitations are typically length and total dimension, but those are determined by the country you're shipping to, not FedEx or USPS. Many countries (Australia for instance) have a 46" limit on total length, which is easy to exceed if you're shipping a guitar in a case.

If you're referring to the 108" total "limit" at USPS for a package, it isn't a limit. They just charge you a small balloon fee if you exceed it.
All I know is that USPS told me if the box is over so many inches long, and I can't remember the length, they won't take it.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM

I used to deal with Fedex and UPS on subject of international shipments on regular basis. Fedex has weird rule that you have to fill out commercial type of invoice even if you just sending private non-busines package. My understanding is that if you just mailing individual guitars you should be fine.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Brett--check your PM box.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 PM

I found a J-custom in Europe. I've talked to Fish and Wildlife. For every plant or animal derivative used to make the guitar the exporter needs to state the common name, scientific name, country of origin and adte acquired for each item.

That means we need the info for the body, top veneer, pup surround, knobs, neck, fingerboard, inlay, purfling, nut, truss rod cover and headstock veneer. This is a 14 year old guitar. I've contacted Hoshino USA and those tried to help and came up with the body is Honduran Mahogany. That is fine because it is listed in Appendix II of the endangered species list and doesn't pertain to finished products. But the rosewood, ebony and abalone we have no idea.

Once you find the species you have to determine if it's on Appendix I, II or III. Appendix II species are ok to import and don't require an import permit, only an export permit. Then you have to call Customs a few days before anticipated arrival to let them know it's coming. Once there you have to fill out a form. If plant/animal component of the guitar isn't listed or is listed incorrectly the will seize the guitar and you can be slapped with a $100,000.00 fine and imprisoned. This is a case where we are guilty until proven innocent. It's up to you to prove the stuff is ok.

AlaskaBat who is your contact at Ibanez.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:22 PM

Re-read post #24 by me on the previous page.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Re-read post #24 by me on the previous page.
Thanks, I did. APHIS/USDA wisely exempt items that predate the regulation and for personal use.

Fish and Wildlife operate on their own and the info posted in #24 does not apply to them. That pertains to APHIS/USDA only.

Now, there is language in the CITES regulation about items for "commercial" use. However, the definition of commercial use is subject to many interpretations. Even they acknowledge this.

I can't post links yet so Google "CITES commercial use definition"

Tags
dna, gibson, jem, universe, uvmc

Show/Hide Posting Rules