<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM

Re: Jem 70V arrived today, SEAFOAM - and it KILLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermonkey7 View Post
Well, from what I gather from all the info & opinions posted on this thread & others, these guitars seem to be worth every penny of their price. I have not played a premium, but it seems to me that even if the MIJ Jems are better, they might not be $2000 better... I can't say because I haven't played the indo version. Thx to the OP for the review and pics. There are other pics & reviews of this guitar on jemsite BTW. People seem to love them
Everyone confirmed that premium nice guitars. However I would think that 1399 for 70v is way too much . Its getting in rg3550 price range with very similar specs. I would say that reasonable price for this guitar is 1100. I would agree with 1400 if it would be alder body ( not because I am alder fan ), but it would make it unique in indo rg line. Also , for me 1400$ is some kind of mental point. Same like pay 1000 for Mexican strat .....when I can get American one for the same money .... This is price area of highest level guitars. You can get any top notch used Jackson , Gibson , Fender for this money . I am not fan of SL1 but I would take it over 70v any time. You can easily get new USA Fender Deluxe for this money.

Last edited by judoka777; 05-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoka777 View Post
Everyone confirmed that premium nice guitars. However I would think that 1399 for 70v is way too much . Its getting in rg3550 price range with very similar specs.
Sorry to bring it up but the RG3550 is $1,700 now, which is also quite ridiculous. Considering that Prestige quality can be off here and there too I may just avoid all new MIJ guitars and go completely used when I'm able to go back into the guitar market to make a buy.
$1,400 is a tad much for the 70V but its somewhat reasonable these days for what you get. I'm sure it can be found at better prices if you look.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Sorry to bring it up but the RG3550 is $1,700 now, which is also quite ridiculous. Considering that Prestige quality can be off here and there too I may just avoid all new MIJ guitars and go completely used when I'm able to go back into the guitar market to make a buy.
$1,400 is a tad much for the 70V but its somewhat reasonable these days for what you get. I'm sure it can be found at better prices if you look.
I bought Rg3550 for 1500 few months ago using price match and discount. I am sure you can buy rg3*** around this price point . By the way I was always amazed why ibby have so low used price compare to other brands. Its bunch of used rg prestige in 400-750 price range
Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 AM

The Premium line seems to be in that range where if you pony up just another 1-200 dollars you can get a whole lot of used guitar. I've played a couple premiums that were great players, but were like $900 without a case and there are plenty of used Prestige guitars out there for less coin.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

I think the 70V is a great guitar that really delivers the goods AND gives those looking for a REAL Jem an affordable option.

Are there other guitars that deliver "the goods" as well as the 70V in it's price range (or a little lower)? Absolutely, but they're not Jem's..

Obviously, there is a huge Jem market out there. It's also obvious that, with world economics the way they are, There is an absolute need for "affordable" Jem's if the line is to survive. The 505 was, IMO, another great guitar that delivered. Unfortunately, it must have been off the mark for Jem players. The SFG seems to be getting a better reception than the 505 did. Maybe Ibanez has the the mark on this one, if not I'm sure there will be another model to follow.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:50 PM
(a)

Reviews: 1

I'm not that thrilled with the looks or quailty of the 70V. Seafoam belongs on a Strat. This "JEM" has the right parts but the quality seems to leave a lot to be desired. It really shouldn't be a crap shoot for that price. And no scalloped frets with the 400mm radius. To me, the scalloped frets and the high end neck finishing with the 6105 frets is what makes a JEM. It is what it is but I would rather get a used MIJ JEM for the same price as this new Indo one.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:46 PM
(a)

I just got one in from Rich. It's a very well made all around great guitar. I like it, alot.

I'd like to launch a campaign to eliminate the phrase "for the money" I've got $500 guitars that play, sound, and have a way better vibe, feel, and overall tone than many $3000+ Custom Shop, small builder, etc guitars.

Also, in the global economy we're in, like it or not, country of origin and quaility of build are not necessarily tied together as they once were.

The Premiem Jem is a great guitar if you like it. If you do, it's worth every penny.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaas View Post
I just got one in from Rich. It's a very well made all around great guitar. I like it, alot.

I'd like to launch a campaign to eliminate the phrase "for the money" I've got $500 guitars that play, sound, and have a way better vibe, feel, and overall tone than many $3000+ Custom Shop, small builder, etc guitars.

Also, in the global economy we're in, like it or not, country of origin and quaility of build are not necessarily tied together as they once were.

The Premiem Jem is a great guitar if you like it. If you do, it's worth every penny.
First congrats on a new guitar. Second no doubts it's great axe. However, 500$ vs 3000$ custom shops ???? Would you please be specific and give some examples of which of your 500$ brand , model etc are better than 3000$ guitar ...again brand , model etc..
Cheers
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 AM
(a)

I could, but I don't want " The guy from Reverend was on the Jemsite saying that he thought $%^&* sucks "

I'm not saying that I find that to be the case as a general rule, I'm just saying that just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's going to be perfect for everyone.

I buy sell trade keep a lot of guitars, my own brand, and other brands, because I love guitars... As one example, I bought a popular floyd equipped US made $3200 guitar from one of my dealers here in the states, I thought it was beautiful, heard good things, and wanted to check it out. It was perfect - fit, finish, frets, everything.. the build quality was amazing. I never bonded with it. It's a great guitar, just not my bag. It was so perfect, it seemed kind of sterile. My opinion. This Seafoam Jem is not that - it's crazy resonant and just looks & feels "cool".

I still own 3 Fender custom shop guitars I bought in the nineties..I like them which is why I'm still hanging on.. I've been paying very close attention to what they're getting out of China, and they're $400 thineline tele-thing is a really well built, totally playable kick ass little guitar. It needs to be set up, obviously, but it's there. If I had a use for that style of instrument, I would honestly find it hard to justify spending 4-5 times that for a US build or 8-10 times that for a custom shop.

My main gig guitar is a Reverend Jetstream HB loaded with Joe Naylor's new Railhammer pickups. The guitar new with the pickup mod is under a grand. The fit and finish are perfect, and it screams. Most importantly, it works for me.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I never bonded with it. It's a great guitar, just not my bag. It was so perfect, it seemed kind of sterile. My opinion.
Yeah i had that with pretty much every Suhr i ever bought. Would take my $400 Charvel Model III out of the case before the Suhr every single time.

Crazy
Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 AM

I'd love to own one of these new Jem70v's... In my opinion, one of the best color choices they've offered.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Yeah i had that with pretty much every Suhr i ever bought. Would take my $400 Charvel Model III out of the case before the Suhr every single time.

Crazy

I didn't say that!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 AM

I don't know guys. Haven't mess with Suhr but all other big brands like ibanez Gibson fender had same feature. ..which is the more expensive guitar means better guitar . However , this is true if we compare apples to apples. .I meant if you put sss fender custom shop in high gain and compare with Ltd with emg than Ltd would sound better. Again every fender I played for 1600 always sound better than 1000 one. And please I would like to hear exact examples of you think otherwise ..brands models
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that!
I know you did not. I did.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Nice to have you here representing Reverend guitars. I agree with you for the most part, although I do use the "for the money" qualifier. I've never spent more than $900 on a guitar, and I have to make good choices with my money to get the best instrument I can afford. If I could find a guitar for $700-800 that was as good as a $2k-3k instrument, that would be great, but for me, it's more like "what's the best I can get for my budget?"

Peace

Mike

Tags
ibanez jem 70 v seafoam

Show/Hide Posting Rules