<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 AM
(a)
Vendor

Re: Jem 70V arrived today, SEAFOAM - and it KILLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick2496 View Post
I just got my Jem70 a couple of days ago and I'm experiencing the same problems that others have reported.

Nut too high, strings not centered on the neck.
I've also noticed I'm getting some fret buzz at specific frets like at about the 13th fret on the high E and some buzz around the 8th fret on the low E.

Fret job needed on a new guitar in that price range? I find that a bit difficult to stomach.

With the truss nut completely loose I don't quite get the relief that Rich suggests on his site either. I guess that would correct itself with time from the tension of the strings.

I'm not really impressed right now but I have 30 days to return it.

I've been thinking of trading this for an RG3550 and would really appreciate some opinions on this. Would I be getting a whole lot more guitar with the RG?

Money was an object when I first bought this guitar but I'm starting to think that it would be worth it to spend a bit more and get an instrument I will be happy with.

I should of bought from Rich. Lesson learned!
All your problems can be taken care of under warranty so it's really up to you if you like it enough to keep, to exchange for a different one and hope it's better, or to change into a Prestige.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 AM

Kind of top but would like to mentioned that jemsite community probably lost briliant topic starter. Here the quote.
"I am tired of this SITE's administrator so this is my last post. The guitar is NOT for sale any longer. Good bye to the folks who were nice on here, unlike the site administrator who cannot stand to ever be wrong.

Take the Jem70V thread. Instead of thanking someone for a new post on a new release by IBANEZ, he rips it apart and turns it into a war of words and a 70 reply thread. The video clearly shows it plays quite nicely.

It was nice while it lasted, but I do not wish to be insulted any further. by him For those of you who are afraid to speak your mind on here for fear of rejection or havng your account deleted - I speak for you.

AGAIN, due to the site administrator, regardless of your offer (even if I wanted to go much lower and take $1800 for example), this guitar is NOT available."
"Sorry, it is not the SITE ADMINISTRATOR, rather RICH who is stalking me. Oddly, I have had great conversations, deals and luck with many of you. But one person can ruin the whole lot. And he has.
quote"
The reaoson why i posted this quotes from other thread cuz I am really confused . I didn't notice anyone include Rich or Admin insulted JemSearcher in 70 thread. People were offering different opinions trying to support it with examples and etc.. Anyone who hung out on Jemsite knows that Rich has exceptional reputation. This is really rare now days when world is ruled by big corporations. I personally pretty fresh on Jemsite but have to admit that this forum has one of the most nicest , tolerant, liberal community online. When hundreds people says only great things about person and you state opposite ...than maybe you should look at yourself . Again I am so confused, in this thread JemSearcher claims that after his great contribution to community in way of this new guitar revelation post , ungrateful people put 60 post which had nothing to do with anything. I would like offer apology to JemSearcher since I didn't know that having different opinion means insulting and war of the words. I am really interested in 70v as well as other Ibanez guitars. I am asking questions to collect adequate opinions not to offend.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 AM

Seriously? The problem was that the OP made a bunch of statements that he couldn't back up. Jemsite is an AMAZINGLY forgiving board, but most people here have a low tolerance for BS. When he got called on his exaggerations and misstatements, or simply encountered opinions contrary to his, he got his feelings bruised and wanted to argue. Unfortunately for him, he wanted to argue with Rich, who probably knows more about Ibanez guitars than anyone here. He figured since he spent a few grand on collectible Jems, that made HIM an expert. Never mind that Rich has probably handled more Jems all of us combined, and currently DEALS in the very guitar the OP was whining about.

THEN, he posts an ad in the classifieds which was not only erroneous, but a little crazy as well. Oh, and wanted to bump his ad every 10 minutes. Rich, I'm assuming from the content of the posts, called him out on the errors in his listing (which I see as a service to anyone on the board who might get screwed by someone who misrepresents a guitar, either unknowingly or otherwise). The guy reacted like a 5 year old and ran off. That's it.

I'm not saying he INTENTIONALLY misrepresented his guitar, but when Rich asked him about it, he got all defensive and rude. Then decided he'd had enough of our little online community and checked out. All he had to say was, "Oh, wow. I didn't know that! Thanks for the info!" and adjusted his ad accordingly. He chose the other route.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 AM
(a)
Vendor

^^^^

That pretty much sums it up.

It started out where I was making sure the guitar didn't have the discoloring that was clearly on the 88' he bought on ebay, that came in the original factory box. He was claiming no discoloration, that it was a different guitar, newly aquired. I asked if he put the factory box from the ebay guitar with it to sell, he claimed, no, now he had 2 with factory boxes. I know the odds of that are infantecimal so I called him on it. Make outragious claims and be preparred to back them up.

He then send the link with the for sale pics and shows the boxes. 1 factory box, one HUSA shipping box, which he wanted to continue to argue was a factory box and the problem was I just wouldn't admit I was wrong

IMO he couldn't figure out how he was going to sell it, look at his pictures. He has most of them shot with it in an 87' JEM1000C, and then shows it in a UV1000C also. Well, those boxes only fit one of those cases!!

1990 Ibanez JEM777DY with original box and papers

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Like you said, he could have just learned from the information, but he wanted to think he was the expert instead and stomped his feet like a 6 year old. Wow, we can't buy his guitar now, what a travesty......

It was a decent DY, it would have taken 8 hours to get it sorted though. The trem is laying against the pickguard the anchors are so loose, the string alignment is so far off, no wonder he liked the JEM70 [although that is just a neck move and not a pocket correction like the JEM70's are], and who knows how much scarf joint shrinkage it has, but guys like this don't sell guitars as the instruments they have to be, they're just commodities and it doesn't matter if they're actually playable.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:20 AM

yeah, not worth it.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 AM

Even first page of this thread were suggesting irrational logic. Jemsearcher start talking with statement: "70v is better than DNA " and " it is so demanded guitar that you have to wait months cuz you are not so lucky like he is".
When Rich who is DEALER said they are in stock and they don't kill DNA ( Facts ) , he started reply about that he can make guitar scream while others can't probably cuz they don't have experience ( skills ) and getting to 100000.00$ collection worth and other emotional stuff. Which has nothing to do with initial statements.
P.S Getting back to actual guitar discussion.I am kind of got idea on quality of craftsmanship from people's post and little personal experience ( played few hours one 70V ). Specs of 70v are identical with MIJ 77v. I believe this is first time ever Ibanez put the same hardware as MIJ models. So at this point I really would love to get some information on wood quality in regard of body and neck materials . I meant compare with MIJ models. I have to admit that most of the 7vwh I tried had really top notch rosewood and ebony on them . Really high quality wood. 7vwh's rosewood looks almost like ebony without fretboard moisturizers , and sounds awesome too. 70v I tried had a little lighter and not so silky fretboard .. Is this particularly one or most of them like this ?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Reviews: 3

I saw a red flag with that ad for the dy right away. I'm no Jem expert, but paperwork with instructions on how to install the edge hand rest were included, as well as a sorry letter from Hoshino as to why the hand rest was not included. I read it. It says demand for the Jem 777 had far exceeded their expectations, and they would send one out when they could make more. I can see these documents being included on an 88, but by 1990, that feature was gone for 3 years... Does that sound right Rich? Dunno, seemed like all the stuff that would be included with his 88, but then he states he is not selling his 88, it's his 1990. I saw his Jem70v thread, with a DY in a glass case behind him in the video, not signed on the front, where his for sale DY had a big Steve Vai sig on the front. I believe he had 2 Dy's for sure, and was selling one, but when Rich called him on the boxes, he acted childish like it was Rich's fault for us not being able to buy the guitar now. He needs to get over the honeymoon with his 70v, and not try to BS Jemsters in the classifieds. That's it! I hope he gets it and comes back eventually. He can play, and loves Jems. Sux to loose folks like that..
Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermonkey7 View Post
I saw a red flag with that ad for the dy right away. I'm no Jem expert, but paperwork with instructions on how to install the edge hand rest were included, as well as a sorry letter from Hoshino as to why the hand rest was not included. I read it. It says demand for the Jem 777 had far exceeded their expectations, and they would send one out when they could make more. I can see these documents being included on an 88, but by 1990, that feature was gone for 3 years... Does that sound right Rich? Dunno, seemed like all the stuff that would be included with his 88, but then he states he is not selling his 88, it's his 1990. I saw his Jem70v thread, with a DY in a glass case behind him in the video, not signed on the front, where his for sale DY had a big Steve Vai sig on the front. I believe he had 2 Dy's for sure, and was selling one, but when Rich called him on the boxes, he acted childish like it was Rich's fault for us not being able to buy the guitar now. He needs to get over the honeymoon with his 70v, and not try to BS Jemsters in the classifieds. That's it! I hope he gets it and comes back eventually. He can play, and loves Jems. Sux to loose folks like that..
There no way those papers about the handrest came with a 90', and I'd be very skeptical they came with an 88' either. More than likely they just happened to be in that 87' JEM1000 case. What case the 90' actually came in, or was being sold in, we'll probably never know.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoka777 View Post
Even first page of this thread were suggesting irrational logic. Jemsearcher start talking with statement: "70v is better than DNA " and " it is so demanded guitar that you have to wait months cuz you are not so lucky like he is".
When Rich who is DEALER said they are in stock and they don't kill DNA ( Facts ) , he started reply about that he can make guitar scream while others can't probably cuz they don't have experience ( skills ) and getting to 100000.00$ collection worth and other emotional stuff. Which has nothing to do with initial statements.
P.S Getting back to actual guitar discussion.I am kind of got idea on quality of craftsmanship from people's post and little personal experience ( played few hours one 70V ). Specs of 70v are identical with MIJ 77v. I believe this is first time ever Ibanez put the same hardware as MIJ models. So at this point I really would love to get some information on wood quality in regard of body and neck materials . I meant compare with MIJ models. I have to admit that most of the 7vwh I tried had really top notch rosewood and ebony on them . Really high quality wood. 7vwh's rosewood looks almost like ebony without fretboard moisturizers , and sounds awesome too. 70v I tried had a little lighter and not so silky fretboard .. Is this particularly one or most of them like this ?

The bodies are American basswood, that's good stuff. The necks are not quarter sawn like a MIJ JEM would be, and the rosewood is just a different species but I have not seen grades of it that come anywhere close to the grades of the best used in J. They may exist, but I haven't seen it yet. The rosewood is also not straight grained but has lots of swirls and waves in the grain, which I do like as it gives it character.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The bodies are American basswood, that's good stuff. The necks are not quarter sawn like a MIJ JEM would be, and the rosewood is just a different species but I have not seen grades of it that come anywhere close to the grades of the best used in J. They may exist, but I haven't seen it yet. The rosewood is also not straight grained but has lots of swirls and waves in the grain, which I do like as it gives it character.
Rich, do you think quality of basswood used for body is identical with MIJ? Is it chance they use same vendor and sorting requirements for Indonesia and Japanese facilities? I read a lot about basswood.I am very interested about this basswood thing. Many says that tonality of this wood can vary drastically depends on a quality. I am not sure if all American basswood has consistent characteristics compare to other sorts of basswood. So I really interested how they handle this
Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Reviews: 3

I was actually wondering the same thing. My first JS1 was " American Basswood", and my current JS1200 is just "basswood". Besides country of origin, what is the difference? I read somewhere American Basswood is lighter in weight. Anybody care to elaborate on the subject? I DO know my JS1 would ding if you looked at it wrong, and my 2010 model is pretty durable. Not sure if one was heavier than the other..
Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 PM
(a)
Vendor

All wood comes in all grades. If you want the lightest, cleanest, most straight grained Am, basswood look at what Sugi is using. I've had 6.5# BDG's. Sugi is no doubt paying for the highest grade and whoever the wood supplier is to Jawa is not paying for the highest grades. They may be buying B grade, they may be buying the same grade Fuji is, I really have no idea. In 92' Fuji was claiming Am. basswood for the JS1's but a few years later they stopped making the distiction and never have since, and since they make it a point with the Premiums to specify, I'm betting they haven't used Am basswood at Fugi for that long.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
All wood comes in all grades. If you want the lightest, cleanest, most straight grained Am, basswood look at what Sugi is using. I've had 6.5# BDG's. Sugi is no doubt paying for the highest grade and whoever the wood supplier is to Jawa is not paying for the highest grades. They may be buying B grade, they may be buying the same grade Fuji is, I really have no idea. In 92' Fuji was claiming Am. basswood for the JS1's but a few years later they stopped making the distiction and never have since, and since they make it a point with the Premiums to specify, I'm betting they haven't used Am basswood at Fugi for that long.
Please forgive my lack of the knowledge. Would you please tell what is Sugi ? Jawa? 6.5# BDG's. I guess it's some specific terms in regard of wood or manufactures. I really would appreciate if you reveal those details.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 PM
(a)
Vendor

Sugi - a Japanese custom spec builder.
Jawa - where they build Premiums
6.5 pound
http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/jsbdg.htm
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Sugi - a Japanese custom spec builder.
Jawa - where they build Premiums
6.5 pound
http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/jsbdg.htm
I was mainly concern about difference between Fuji facility and Indo fabric. You have such a huge experience so what will be your personal subjective opinion based on feel of the guitar ? is wood the same grade ?

Tags
ibanez jem 70 v seafoam

Show/Hide Posting Rules