<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 PM

Jem 70v colour options + gravity storm pups...

Hey all,

I recently had the pleasure of playing a Jem 70v at a local guitar shop. I was so impressed. I remember not being too enamoured with a Jem 555 I had back in the day, but this 70v blew me away. It in no way felt like a "cheap" or "budget" guitar, it felt and played like the real deal. The only problem?... My other half *really* doesn't like the colour :-(

So, any news on any colour options on this for next year? If they made one of these in white and chrome, like the current 555, it would sell truck loads :-) Brilliant guitar, I want one so bad, but it seems the other half would rather me spend twice as much and get a 7v in white rather than the green 70v!

Also, what's happening with the Gravity Storm pickups? Any Jems carrying these as standard? Or are they just an alternative at the moment?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Re: Jem 70v colour options + gravity storm pups...

You mean your wife? Is she planning to play your Jem?

Gravity Storms aren't standard in anything yet.
There's no news on new finishes for the 70V next year yet, but wait around until NAMM in January and you should know for sure.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 1

You dont have to spend twice as much to get a Nice 7Vwh!
They can be had in our very own classifieds for around 1500.00, and worth every penny, and come with an extreamly nice case.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 AM

The sea foam green has really grown on me....I do have history of liking the color, thought it looked awful on the Jem, but now I kind of like it....get one I like it better than white and gold
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 AM

I just think mine's amazing

Will have a Custom Sustainer in the gap between the neck and the neck Evo in a few weeks, stay tuned.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 AM

That's a nice guitar with the gold hardware - the one I played had kind of smoked grey/chrome hardware.

I like the SFG, I would love to get one, I just have to convince the other half that it's a nice colour! Or better still, they introduce a couple of new colours next year. Like I said, a white one would be perfect, but I guess that would make it very, very similar to the 7v, so I can't see them doing that.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM

I added the gold to it and now it looks mile better.
Believe me, the color will grow into you.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66 View Post
The sea foam green has really grown on me....I do have history of liking the color, thought it looked awful on the Jem, but now I kind of like it....get one I like it better than white and gold
Color matters over quaility and play ability? Alrighty then....
The 70 is a nice looking guitar, I like the sea foam green, but to even begin to compair the two other then them both have the same name on the head stock, well is just not going to happen.....
Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxopwn View Post
You mean your wife? Is she planning to play your Jem?
^^^ This exactly.

My wife wasn't too keen on road flare red but you know what? That's life!
I think she actually likes it now thought... maybe.

I can only imagine the hell that would be invoked if my wife had her heart set on such and such a purse with such and such a color and I stopped her and said "no, I don't like it". LOL!

Just some food for thought.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM

Good points - I shall have to work on her haha! I think once she realises it is less than half the price of the white and gold 7v she should come around!

Has anyone here had the chance to play both the 7v and the 70v? Apart from the colour, and the lack of scalloped frets on the 70v, is there much difference? From what I can see, it has the same pickups, and even the correct trem. The only real thing I can think why it's so much cheaper is because of where it was made, which to be honest has no relevance to me at all.

I watched a review from iguitarmag where they compared it to the new Evo replica Jem, and the reviewer didn't seem to think there was much difference in reality.

I'm also considering a JS1200. Decisions, decisions...
Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm'n Jimmy View Post
Color matters over quaility and play ability? Alrighty then....
The 70 is a nice looking guitar, I like the sea foam green, but to even begin to compair the two other then them both have the same name on the head stock, well is just not going to happen.....

at 1400 the quality isn't horrendous lol

well I am definitely a visual appeal person so the White and Gold Jem I can say would never be in my collection. The only white and gold combo the worked for me was my les paul custom, and even with that I'm more than half tempted to chrome her out....

I like the look of the SFG, but not the gold mod to it, sorry, but everyone likes something different

My bigger issue with the SFG has always been the pearl'd pickguard and truss rod cover, not sure what I would change it to.....

but yes, if a guitar doesn't do it for me visually, all else won't matter, for some reason I can't get passed the G&L headstock either *shrugs*
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Reviews: 21

Playing devil's advocate if you're iffy on the color yourself don't buy it. It's a good chunk of money all the same. You might want to wait until January to see what's coming out at Winter NAMM maybe. I personally love the looks of the SFG Jem and hope they keep it on for a few years. Knowing Ibanez it might just be a one-year thing. Who knows? Maybe next year it comes in red.... or Roadflare red! :P
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66 View Post
at 1400 the quality isn't horrendous lol

well I am definitely a visual appeal person so the White and Gold Jem I can say would never be in my collection. The only white and gold combo the worked for me was my les paul custom, and even with that I'm more than half tempted to chrome her out....

I like the look of the SFG, but not the gold mod to it, sorry, but everyone likes something different

My bigger issue with the SFG has always been the pearl'd pickguard and truss rod cover, not sure what I would change it to.....

but yes, if a guitar doesn't do it for me visually, all else won't matter, for some reason I can't get passed the G&L headstock either *shrugs*
I think I'd change the pickguard to a solid white. Kinda gives it more of a strat look to it.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
I think I'd change the pickguard to a solid white. Kinda gives it more of a strat look to it.
Yes - The SFG Jeff Beck Strat started my SFG weakness...

But get the color you want, not what your wife wants. My wife doesn't like half of my guitars!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM

I bought a used one.
It needs work if its going to be a good playing guitar.
Fret work that is.
The neck is set too deep in the body too.
I need to tilt it twords the body but the trem is lower than the pickguard as it is now.
I may need to shim the whole neck up to get the correct angle.

Tags
jem 70v gravity storm

Show/Hide Posting Rules