Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jem 777 fretboard separation from neck - Need help to repair

Tags
truss rod
6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hendjo1 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!  I'm having a problem with my LNG.  The neck has a crack between the fretboard and the neck, starting at the nut and ending at about frets 2-3, where it looks like the fretboard has separated from the neck.  Has anyone else seen this?  A tiny crack had been there since I bought it on E(vil)Bay last Dec., but while I had the neck off today to clean and shim it ala Rich's "Grunge Off", the crack got bigger, and now I've got bad buzzing all over frets 1-5.  Truss rod adjusting won't help, because the fretboard is sticking up too high!  I guess I could try clamping it down and gluing it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Jem 777 fretboard separation from neck

You'll need some good wood glue, a clamp, wet paper towel, clear mylar like a report cover, and a spreader (I have a small wedge that's sorta like a pencil but with a tip as wide as it is around). Spread the board from the neck enough to allow you to get glue in there. Cut the mylar into a strip. I'll lay glue all down the seperation and then on the mylar, work the glue into the gap as deep and far as you can using the mylar (if you use paper it'll just act like wet paper, it needs to be stiff and why I use the mylar). When you get the glue dispersed clamp the board down, but not TOO tight, you don't want to squeeze all the glue out!! Just clamp it down till it visually looks together, no further. Cleanup all the glue that came out with the wet towel and let it sit overnight. Problem solved, and a very easy fix, I'd rate it a 1 hammer on the toughness scale :biggrin:

#4 ·
Jem 777 fretboard separation from neck

Also, use two pieces of wood (front and back) with the clamp. Insert them between the clamp and the wood of the neck.

There's nothing worse than un-doing the clamp and seeing a nice little circle on the back of your neck. :)

"one hammer"...that's frickin' funny!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.