Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008 - Jemsite
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 142
Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

So I found two of these guitars. One is a 2012 Jem7vwh and the other is a 2008. I ordered the 2012 because it was a bit cheaper and it was newer so I went with the 12. Low and behold im hearing that ALL 2012 models are ****. I also hear that the 2008 has a ****ty trem system so its a lose lose I feel.

I was wondering if I can get some owners opionions on both models. I order the 2012 and I have 30 days to return it so Im gonna set it up and try it out and hope that I may have a Jem that is void of the problem.

So basically tell me about your guitar or what you know if you have experience with them please.

How bad is this intonation issue with the 2012's ?

How bad is the bridge on the 2008s ?
lorper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:26 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,510
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Dude, you already heard straight from an Authorized Ibanez Dealer on the issue of the 2012. No set up is going to fix the problem, and why would you want to spend that much money on a guitar with an intonation problem???

The 2008 has an Edge Pro, while not my favorite trem, it's a solid trem unit....

Send the 2012 back for a refund and do yourself a huge favor; buy from here:

Ibanezrules.com
Swirltop is offline  
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 142
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Oh yes I respect his opinion I was just wanting to here from some other owners that's all. Is the 2008 a good model?

I'm scouring his site now looking for something in my price range. I'm in canada so I have to add extra fees for duty which sux ass.
lorper is offline  
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 27
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Hey Lorper,

My 7VWH is a 2008 model, and it has been my workhorse for the past 5 years and I have fine tuned the Edge Pro to be absolutely perfect every time I use it. One of my guitar students decided it would be cute to buy the guitar his teacher had and picked up a 2011 7VWH and in my opinion, the quality comparison was unsettlingly different in terms of feel, playability, and quality. I would highly recommend the 2008 model and following Rich's stud mod tutorial on his site. It worked perfectly for mine. Hope that helps!
Lin-Fo is offline  
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:58 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MI USA
Posts: 451
Reviews: 2
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

My 2005 7VWH has the edge pro, and that is one awesome trem in my opinion. And I have Lo Pro's (7Vsbl and PGM300RE) and original Edge (PGM 100RE) to compare it to. The Edge Pro is not inferior at all in my opinion. In fact, I think that they are all equally great Really strange to hear that these newer 7Vwh's have intonation problems built in. Not good.
lynchfan6 is offline  
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 11:28 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

I don't own a Jem, but I have two Ibanez guitars. One has the Original Edge and the other has the Edge Pro.
While different, both are very solid and come back to pitch perfectly and intonation was no problem.
I don't even have the 'locking stud mod' on my Edge Pro, and it doesn't seem I need it. (I don't really abuse it, so I'm thinking if I did, I might need the mod)
If there are known issues with the 2012, I'd say; avoid it.
Just my two pence.
Meechy is offline  
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 03:24 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,514
Reviews: 1
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

I *prefer* the original and lo-pro edge, but many folks like the edge pro. I understand that the anchor post are not of he same design and that's one big reason that the edge pro gets a bad rep.

The 2012s are supposedly structurally flawed and so should be avoided. I can't verify that personally though.
jono is offline  
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 142
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin-Fo View Post
Hey Lorper,

My 7VWH is a 2008 model, and it has been my workhorse for the past 5 years and I have fine tuned the Edge Pro to be absolutely perfect every time I use it. One of my guitar students decided it would be cute to buy the guitar his teacher had and picked up a 2011 7VWH and in my opinion, the quality comparison was unsettlingly different in terms of feel, playability, and quality. I would highly recommend the 2008 model and following Rich's stud mod tutorial on his site. It worked perfectly for mine. Hope that helps!



Is the mod pretty easy to do yourself? I have no issues with setting up trems and stuff so I'm fairly handy with that stuff.
lorper is offline  
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 08:45 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,510
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorper View Post
Is the mod pretty easy to do yourself? I have no issues with setting up trems and stuff so I'm fairly handy with that stuff.
The stud mod is the easiest mod you could possibly do. Unscrew the old studs and screw in the new studs with locking set screws in the bottom of the stud...

The set screw locks the stud into place so it doesn't wobble around with trem use, it also has some modification to the slots to keep the knife edges stable..

Super stud:

Swirltop is offline  
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 11:36 AM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,114
Reviews: 2
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
The stud mod is the easiest mod you could possibly do. Unscrew the old studs and screw in the new studs with locking set screws in the bottom of the stud...

The set screw locks the stud into place so it doesn't wobble around with trem use, it also has some modification to the slots to keep the knife edges stable..

Super stud:

AFAIK, this won't work on an '08. The anchors are different. Most EP anchors didn't have a solid bottom for the lock to push against, plus the EP anchors are a smaller diameter with a different thread pattern. To use ED/LP studs- the anchors need to be changed as well. Not a big deal, but should be known


RGTFanatic is offline  
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 818
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

You'll find that older jems have better quality, and they have the edge or lo pro stock. They're usually cheaper.

If you don't like the edge pro on the 2008, it will take you five minutes to route a tiny bit away to fit a lo pro or edge. If you don't like the studs have them replaced as well!

Personally I wouldn't go through the hassle- buy an older 2001 model or something.
Kyle am I is offline  
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 142
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Lin Fo. Posted above and said he did his 08 following Richs turorial and it worked fine .

Lin Fo can you weigh in on this ? Did you simply buy the gear and follow Richs tutorial or did you do a little more modding ?
lorper is offline  
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 142
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
You'll find that older jems have better quality, and they have the edge or lo pro stock. They're usually cheaper.

If you don't like the edge pro on the 2008, it will take you five minutes to route a tiny bit away to fit a lo pro or edge. If you don't like the studs have them replaced as well!

Personally I wouldn't go through the hassle- buy an older 2001 model or something.


I really don't want any hassle I'm not gonna lie. I'm getting frustrated at the thought of two guitars that are $3000 new have simple issues like this. However I do want it bad. I don't have any issues with the bridge. I have only played the edge 2 on my rg370dx and I hate that. It's absolute junk. Wot hold tune at all. I had to block it. Maybe I had a bad model. I'm hoping the edge pro will be better.

If I can get away with the 08 and a stud mod I'll be happy. As for routing and stuff I really don't want to get into that.

Whats te problem with the edge pro? It seems to b a solid bridge. Especially after a stud mod from what I'm reading
lorper is offline  
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:31 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorper View Post
I really don't want any hassle I'm not gonna lie. I'm getting frustrated at the thought of two guitars that are $3000 new have simple issues like this. However I do want it bad. I don't have any issues with the bridge. I have only played the edge 2 on my rg370dx and I hate that. It's absolute junk. Wot hold tune at all. I had to block it. Maybe I had a bad model. I'm hoping the edge pro will be better.

If I can get away with the 08 and a stud mod I'll be happy. As for routing and stuff I really don't want to get into that.

Whats te problem with the edge pro? It seems to b a solid bridge. Especially after a stud mod from what I'm reading
That's the only 'issue' with the Edge Pro (EP from here on in) the non-locking studs.
It's 'slightly' less stable than an Original Edge (OE) at returning to 'zero pitch'.
As I said; I have no problems with it, even without the locking studs.
I've even 'gone to town' on it a few times and even my fiancee's 'seasoned ears' said it came back "close enough". In other words: not far enough out to really hear it. If you look at a tuner, sure, it's off, but if you're only talking a few hundredths on the tuner, most won't hear the difference.
I don't normally do that though, just some light vibrato and some dives/pulls. I never beat on the thing, and it always comes back in tune for me.
Meechy is offline  
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 02:26 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,510
Re: Jem 7vWH 2012 and 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
AFAIK, this won't work on an '08. The anchors are different. Most EP anchors didn't have a solid bottom for the lock to push against, plus the EP anchors are a smaller diameter with a different thread pattern. To use ED/LP studs- the anchors need to be changed as well. Not a big deal, but should be known
Oooo... I did not know that

I'd go with Kyle's idea and find an older one with an Edge or Lo-Pro.

Just curious why are you so dead set on these 2 guitars with the hundreds readily available? They aren't even at good prices really...
Swirltop is offline  
Reply

Tags
2008 , 2012 , 7vwh , ibanez , jem

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: 2008 Ibanez Jem 7vwh Excellent Condition w/ Hardcase $1600 LiamB Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 7 12-25-2012 09:08 PM
NFL 2012 Wolfram Off-topic / Miscellaneous 116 12-02-2012 07:14 PM
2012 Jem Classic 59 JEM and Universe Guitars 113 02-11-2012 01:03 PM
FT: My 2008 ESP M-II for your 2008 - 2010 Gibson SG Standard in black Of Angels Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 10-09-2010 08:33 PM
7Vwh 2008, clean playing on dirty gain tips fastonebaz JEM and Universe Guitars 3 06-18-2009 04:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome