Ibanez JEM Forum banner

jem goes sharp

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  pipsqueej 
#1 ·
hi,
im new to this forum althoug ive been watching this forum for about 6 months.
i have a little question.
i have a jem 555Bk from 2001 wich i totaly love, but it has a lo pro bridge that is constantly sharp. i cant get it right. if i do a divebomb, the tuning is ok but a minute later its sharp again. how can i solve this problem?
thank you.
sorry for my bad english BTW

#4 ·
Buddy, i've been dealing with this for soo long.

its about setting your trem to the appropraite heigth for intonation, streatching your strings properly, oiling the bridge pins, and set the trem up to what you do more. i'll explain:

when your tuning your guitar you want to find the best spot for the trem to sit and we will call that 0.

1. pushing the trem arm down and then release it with out pulling up on it is one type of 0.

2. pushing the trem arm down. stop. then pull up on it slightly is the other type of zero.

if you do more dive bombs than pull ups, you would use #1. and if you do more pull ups, go with option #2.

i do both, so i set it up with #2. when i tune my guitar, im always giving the trem arm a yank up to ensure im in my 0. now i just have to pull up the trem arm after every dive bomb during a song. not bad, i got used to it real quick.

i play an ibanez JEM 7VWH and an ibanez JEM 77BFP. plus i have several other floyd's that have the same problem with out the trem blades my two jems have.

if you have the trem blades and you have had your guitar for some time, its time to replace them and keep them oiled. i had to replace my blades in my 7VWH after 5 years of playing on it. and now that i keep them oiled, i dont have a problem.

i hope this info was helpful, if you follow those steps it should fix your problem. and if it dosent, im sorry to say it probably needs to start from scratch with a full set up.

#5 ·
thank you. i already found that zero point (wich was 1 in my case) however, i still have the same problem. its a little late here in the netherlands so i think im going to bed now, but tomorrow i will try zero point 2 and i will oil the bridge pins wich i havent done. ill keep in touch
rowdy:cool:

#6 ·
Chapstick lip balm works wonders, also remember that the bridge needs to be set level with the knife edge, the baseplate has a downwards angle towards the posts...

It will take some tweaking but im sure you will get it perfect...

then you can wail away to your hearts content...

#9 ·
i guess the next step would be start with a fresh set of strings. pulling on them to much will believe it or not, over stretch them causing them not to stay in tune.

this has happend to me before and starting fresh helped me. strings can be very tempormental.

i use D'Addario 9's

what are you using? some strings you dont have to stretch like DR's. those are realy funky strings.

#10 ·
i guess the next step would be start with a fresh set of strings. pulling on them to much will believe it or not, over stretch them causing them not to stay in tune.

this has happend to me before and starting fresh helped me. strings can be very tempormental.

i use D'Addario 9's

what are you using? some strings you dont have to stretch like DR's. those are realy funky strings.
thats a good idea. i havent changed string in a few months and i play 5 hours at day (at least). i use d'addario 9's too. those simply rule for their brilliant jangly tone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.