<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Just had a pro setup done on my JEM7v - wow!

Hi all,

I've had a JEM7V for a while, but the setup was not great. Basically, she wasn't playing that much better than my other Ibanezes.... which did not seem right to me! I'm comfortable doing basic setup stuff myself on my guitars, but decided on this occasion to get a pro to do it - especially considering the value of the JEMs!

Result: WOW!

The guy did a great job, right down to levelling a couple of frets which were letting the side down when he straightened the neck a bit. Action is PERFECT. I have never played a guitar with such beautiful action throughout the neck, and the difference pre/post setup is night and day. Seriously, the guitar is practically playing itself.

The weird thing is, I now feel I need to go to 10s !!! The thing is SO easy to play that it feels too light now. Might be related to the full polishing job he did on it. (I run 10s on my strat and PRS Custom 24).

Has anyone else experienced this on their JEMs?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
(a)

Reviews: 10

Re: Just had a pro setup done on my JEM7v - wow!

Whenever I buy a guitar the first thing I do is get it setup by a pro...makes all the difference. Same with my Jem7vwh and it has played great since I got it ...it's a 2004 model and it is a great player. Congrats on getting yours to your liking - they are great guitars !
Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcenary View Post
Hi all,

I've had a JEM7V for a while, but the setup was not great. Basically, she wasn't playing that much better than my other Ibanezes.... which did not seem right to me! I'm comfortable doing basic setup stuff myself on my guitars, but decided on this occasion to get a pro to do it - especially considering the value of the JEMs!

Result: WOW!

The guy did a great job, right down to levelling a couple of frets which were letting the side down when he straightened the neck a bit. Action is PERFECT. I have never played a guitar with such beautiful action throughout the neck, and the difference pre/post setup is night and day. Seriously, the guitar is practically playing itself.

The weird thing is, I now feel I need to go to 10s !!! The thing is SO easy to play that it feels too light now. Might be related to the full polishing job he did on it. (I run 10s on my strat and PRS Custom 24).

Has anyone else experienced this on their JEMs?
As a fellow UKer, who did you go to?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM

My tech used to work for Ibanez/hoshino. He does great work
Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
As a fellow UKer, who did you go to?
Barnaby who works at Guitar Village in Farnham, Surrey.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
(a)

I have Reverend tech Zack Green set mine up when I get a new one. The before and after difference is amazing..
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Lucky enough to have got a Jem and a UV from Rich and the setup is fabulous. I've compared to others bought off the shelf and even an idiot like me can tell there's a gulf in class. Any guitar well setup just inspires.

Hard part is finding someone local though to trust with a couple of others I've got for the stuff I just can't do..
Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking

I take all my stuff to my tech first thing. I take so many i get a huge discount!!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM

Anyone have a tip on how to find a good tech in your area? I would rather not just take it down to the music shop. They are fine at changing pickups and strings at all, but I doubt they would give it a quality tune-up.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
(a)

Ask a couple of local "pro" or "semi-pro" players. They'll kow who does good work.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaas View Post
Ask a couple of local "pro" or "semi-pro" players. They'll kow who does good work.
Cool thx. I live in a big enough area that there ought to be someone around.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
Cool thx. I live in a big enough area that there ought to be someone around.
I always find asking around in local venues is good too, usually they dont recommend a tech, they say they'll do it for a good price, maybe that just where i like but ive had some awesome setups done for incredible prices by people who have being setting up guitars for 20 years!

Show/Hide Posting Rules