<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:08 PM

Re: Kinda makes you wanna cry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
actually not.
i did take those pics, and i personally know Ricky Portera, the owner of this 10th, i also take care of his guitars, and i can tell you he DOES play his guitars for real. he doesn't care about worning'em with belts or bracelets, he just plays them to the bone. i don't know how he did those kind of burns on the top but all the rest is pure playing. he played it for about 9 years onstage nearly every night. he said that the 10th sounds awesome, in fact he still plays it even though he's just got his own custom model from Ibanez. and being him an Ibanez endorser, he's got the guitars for free. he's just received a new BRMR, and can't think how soon it will become a broken mirror!
"Getting Free Guitar Syndrome" Thats what happened when you've got guitar for free, its value dropped
Old 07-10-2006, 05:25 PM
(a)

If Ibanez gave me a custom model I'd be happy play a 10th to death and besides I think if he's just given it road marks then it makes it look kinda honest rather than the "put me in a display case" model that it can sometimes be known as.

Ben
Old 07-20-2006, 11:51 AM

it's no more trashed than evo. I just wanna know why there are duncans on it. (hurls)
Old 07-20-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarslinger213
I just wanna know why there are duncans on it.
Ricky likes Duncans more than DiMarzios, so he's got an endorsement with SD. he kept DiMarzios only in his DY, cause he says they sound great, so, no nedd to swap'em. we're going to replace Evos in his VSBL too, it sounds so harsh and square...
Old 07-20-2006, 12:03 PM

Guitars are meant to be played, and im pretty sure you could play a Jem 10th and keep it in very good condition...but that?, that is just ricidulous, that guys wants his guitar to look like total crap, i mean...burn marks?!!!! how tha hell do you get that "accidentaly"?!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:37 PM

Seperate the COLLECTOR from The PLAYER!!

Check out :
http://cottamguitars.co.uk/index.php...&amp;Itemid=81

The 2 guitars at the top are modded VBK's.....
I gig them regularly and let any of our regular players play them, that come to the Thursday night jam session i run - and i really don't care if they get bashed, crashed or dinged!!!

The guitars underneath are my own personal favourites that i look after, polish and.......... you know what i mean!

Most people have a "beater" guitar that they leave lying on the floor, or do energetic gigs with,
Its just that some people can afford??? to do that with a better guitar!
Why gig with a piece of crap???
You find that great guitar and wanna play it all the time, just ask (if you could) SRV and Rory Gallagher...... i'm sure they could have afforded (or Fender would have given them one free) a nice new Strat - but did they???

Max
Old 07-20-2006, 01:23 PM

You know, if a guitar is nice, feels nice and sounds good, then it should be played. After all, it's only cosmetics that make it desirable really, and besides, a guitar as well played and roughed up like that has a charm, and , is obviously a bigger endorsement of the guitar's playability and quality than having it in a case all the time

I think it looks cool
Old 07-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking
Seperate the COLLECTOR from The PLAYER!!

Check out :
http://cottamguitars.co.uk/index.php...&amp;Itemid=81

The 2 guitars at the top are modded VBK's.....
I gig them regularly and let any of our regular players play them, that come to the Thursday night jam session i run - and i really don't care if they get bashed, crashed or dinged!!!

The guitars underneath are my own personal favourites that i look after, polish and.......... you know what i mean!

Most people have a "beater" guitar that they leave lying on the floor, or do energetic gigs with,
Its just that some people can afford??? to do that with a better guitar!
Why gig with a piece of crap???
You find that great guitar and wanna play it all the time, just ask (if you could) SRV and Rory Gallagher...... i'm sure they could have afforded (or Fender would have given them one free) a nice new Strat - but did they???

Max

Bingo. Why play the crap guitar at a gig, when you can play the one that feels better, sounds better and is more you? Especially when a gig is pretty much promoting your own music. Why have it sound rubbish?

And yes, there are collectors and players, I am a player and hence guitars get damaged. But i'd rather pick up a guitar with a few dings in it rather than one without. A guitar without dings hasn't been played much, and if i were honest, i'd be asking myself if there was something wrong with it!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
actually not.
i did take those pics, and i personally know Ricky Portera, the owner of this 10th, i also take care of his guitars, and i can tell you he DOES play his guitars for real. he doesn't care about worning'em with belts or bracelets, he just plays them to the bone. i don't know how he did those kind of burns on the top but all the rest is pure playing. he played it for about 9 years onstage nearly every night. he said that the 10th sounds awesome, in fact he still plays it even though he's just got his own custom model from Ibanez. and being him an Ibanez endorser, he's got the guitars for free. he's just received a new BRMR, and can't think how soon it will become a broken mirror!

he can get any ibanez guitar for free?? I thought endorsees could only get their own custom guitars. He could get free JS's and JEM's?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarslinger213
I just wanna know why there are duncans on it. (hurls)
This is the real problem with the axe. I have also heard a JEM7DBK with EMGs (81,85) that sounded like crap. In my opinion Pafs are the best choice.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojim
he can get any ibanez guitar for free?? I thought endorsees could only get their own custom guitars. He could get free JS's and JEM's?
yep.
to say the truth, he's not supposed to get them for free, Ibanez would just sell him their guitars for very cheap, but the Ibanez Italian dealer buys the guitars he asks, and then they give him them for free. so he actually gets the guitars for free. and of course even effects, pedals, personal picks, accessories etc.
check his Ibanezs:

UV77MC
UV777PBK
JEM7VSBL
JEM777DY
JEM10th
RPM
JEM7BRMR

i set'em up all, then took the pics. for those who don't know, each page's got a second page with "top secret" pics (wiring, neck/body joint etc) except for the JEM7BRMR, which they'll be soon available. so feel free to ask whatever about...
Old 07-20-2006, 06:31 PM
(a)

nuno - very nice collection Ricky has there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42
You cross the line between well-played and idiotic when you intentionally damage your guitar.
And I have crossed the line! Many years ago, I got a soldering iron and some solder, and dripped solder onto the body of my candy-apple-red aria pro II
from a height of about 6 ft. On second thought, it's not clear that I am
idiotic (at least, not for that reason), since it can be argued that an early 80's era aria pro II is not actually a guitar. My mid 2000's are Aria "Nashville" copy is pretty cool though -- no solder's going on that!
Old 07-20-2006, 06:44 PM
(a)

Nuno would you mind if I used one of the DY photo's as a desktop? I think they're fantastic!

Ben
Old 07-21-2006, 01:28 AM

Talking

Quote:
yep.
to say the truth, he's not supposed to get them for free, Ibanez would just sell him their guitars for very cheap, but the Ibanez Italian dealer buys the guitars he asks, and then they give him them for free. so he actually gets the guitars for free. and of course even effects, pedals, personal picks, accessories etc.
check his Ibanezs:

UV77MC
UV777PBK
JEM7VSBL
JEM777DY
JEM10th
RPM
JEM7BRMR

i set'em up all, then took the pics. for those who don't know, each page's got a second page with "top secret" pics (wiring, neck/body joint etc) except for the JEM7BRMR, which they'll be soon available. so feel free to ask whatever about...

WOW what a nice collection!! I need to meet a Ibanez rep..make him drunk and convince him to make me an endorsee so I could a few guitars for free!
Or make Ricky drunk and convince him to get another JEM and ship it to me

Nice pictures Nuno...why did he replace the dimarzio for some seymour?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
Nuno would you mind if I used one of the DY photo's as a desktop? I think they're fantastic!
i'd be pleased if you do! thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojim
Nice pictures Nuno... why did he replace the dimarzio for some seymour?
thank you! well, Ricky prefers Duncans over DiMarzios, except for the PAF Pro which he loves, that's why he kept them on his DY. he also became Seymour Duncan's endorser a few months ago, so they give him pickups for free.
actually, the only Ibanez Ricky has bought himself are the DY and the MC. he bought'em back then in the USA right when they came out, before the endorsement.

oh btw, this is the pic that some of you can see in the Japan 2006 catalogue, on the last page among other endorsers. i did take it. i didn't know they put this pic in the catalogue, so you can imagine how stunned i was when i saw it. and still i am. i grew up with Ibanez catalogues, they're my bibles, and to see my pic in there is something blasting. thanks Ibanez!

("migi" is my italian nick )

Tags
beautiful guitar, custom guitar, custom guitars, dave weiner, ibanez catalog, paf pro, seymour duncan, seymour duncans, vintage strat

Show/Hide Posting Rules