<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:35 PM
(a)

Re: Leaving Ibanez guitars - No more jems for me

This is an interesting post as just the opposite happened to me. I bought a 7VWH new in 93 and then slowly bought every other guitar that caught my eye over time. A 74 strat, a PRS Custom 22, a Steinberger, but found myself only really playing the Jem. So I am selling off the others and now have a 91 BFP, 92 GMC, and a 90 FP is in the mail. Nothing else feels right to me after having the VWH for so long. But damn the PRS sounds good and sustains for days, just wish I had gotten the wide thin neck, the regular one is a bit chunky for my hands.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 PM

I mys well chime in, I have never been a fan of PRS and never will, there overpriced and they vary entirelly too much from instrument to instrument, seems like theres no quality control(WHICH I KNOW ISNT THE CASE)

But to each there own.. I to be honest dont like the way some high end Ibanez's play for example I personally dont like the Universe but thats the beauty of this world. Opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one. There is no right, and there is no wrong. It all comes down to preference.

Hell ive been playing the same Carvin for 15 or so years and havent bought a guitar in ages.. I feel at home on it, everything else seems weird.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:04 AM
(a)

What is this, PRSsite?

Nice guitars, but it's like comparing tea to coffee.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!
Well put .

Regards

André
Old 03-14-2006, 03:44 AM

Hmm, I played a high end PRS through a Diezel the other day at this store and I thought the sustain was terrible.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:56 AM
(a)

I must have gotten a particularly good one by chance. Mine sustains almost until you just get sick of waiting and lift your fingers off the note. It is a 2000, maybe the older ones are a little better, and a 10 top, so maybe better piece of maple on the top, who knows, it works.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:08 AM

The one thing I have never understood with the PRS is why can't you have a PROPER selector switch? What use is a ROTORY knob in a live situation??

What a dumb idea! What really narks me is they are vastly over priced and you can pay say £1200 for a standard then add upto £2000 for THE SAME GUITAR WITH A FANCY TOP, why??

Can PRS owners REALLY say their guitars sustain and have better tone than the legendary yamaha SG2000? I think not! I think even compared to a Les Paul Custom they will struggle, heck I bet even an Ibanez AR350PLT will out sustain it, it certainly will out tone it anyday

If you have so much money to waste on a fancy maple cap why not invest the money you would waste on it buying a decent second guitar? I mean you could buy any new JEM for that money and STILL have your pointless PRS!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:25 PM

WTF?

There is no way, anywhere no way no how no nothing no cause anything that ANY Jem owner has the right to say a PRS is overpriced. Paying extra for a 10 top with quilt so deep you could surf it is crazy, but paying 1000-1500 extra for a mirror top isn't? Someone please explain that.
POT - KETTLE - BLACK.
There's nothing wrong with the rotary selector, it's just different. If you don't want one, buy the model with the switch. Alex Lifeson doesn't seem to have a problem with it in a live situation, and he's undoubtedly one of the best guitarists of all time.
Put any new PRS against any new Les Paul and the PRS will win hands down, in appearance, quality and price.
Yes my PRS has better tone than any Yamaha or Gibson.
And what's up with the brandbashing anyways? Not cool, it's like something little kids do.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:35 AM
(a)

Mr. Clean, right on. No one here has any right to complain that PRS are overpriced. I paid more for my 7vwh (new in 93) and my GMC than for the Custom 22. It's like arguing which color is the prettiest. You find the one you like and run with it. My PRS is an awesome guitar, it wasn't her, it was me, I'm sure she'll find the right guy someday. Haha. I just can't get over my high school sweetheart!! It just "happened".
Old 03-15-2006, 05:28 AM

Brand bashing? tut tut, I am simply pointing out the obvious, compare the standard with the custom and what does the extra £2000 get you? SLIGHTLY better pickups and a fancy maple cap, how is that VFM??

The mirror JEM is an abomination of the breed, so is never counted, looke at the hardware you get on the 7VWH, how about that paint designed to never fade can PRS REALLY say that about the Navarro signature? after all it is just a standard prs in white with gold hardware so why the hilariously large price?

The rotary selector switch is a joke, ideal the studio but not practical live for one thing the numbers are hard to see and why does a 5 way selector go to ten???

Anyway the JEM and the PRS are too different directions, but to say the over priced PRS is value for money compared to nearly every mahogany bodied hardtail/vintage trem guitar is very funny, try the competition and you will wonder why you spent so much on a guitar that comes from a range that all look identical and you just pay massive amounts for very little
Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 AM
(a)

Akuma, the prices must be crazy wherever you are, because I paid 2200 US dollars for my custom 22, 10 top, trem, birds, the works. Extra 2000 pounds?!?! That alone is more than I paid for my PRS. People are buying them, and the tone of mine is great, it just doesn't feel right to me. I am with you bro, I am getting rid of all mine for jems, but jeez, how bout you just don't buy one?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
Brand bashing? tut tut, I am simply pointing out the obvious, compare the standard with the custom and what does the extra £2000 get you? SLIGHTLY better pickups and a fancy maple cap, how is that VFM??

The mirror JEM is an abomination of the breed, so is never counted, looke at the hardware you get on the 7VWH, how about that paint designed to never fade can PRS REALLY say that about the Navarro signature? after all it is just a standard prs in white with gold hardware so why the hilariously large price?

The rotary selector switch is a joke, ideal the studio but not practical live for one thing the numbers are hard to see and why does a 5 way selector go to ten???

Anyway the JEM and the PRS are too different directions, but to say the over priced PRS is value for money compared to nearly every mahogany bodied hardtail/vintage trem guitar is very funny, try the competition and you will wonder why you spent so much on a guitar that comes from a range that all look identical and you just pay massive amounts for very little
The standard to the custom, part of the extra cost is the difference between bolt on neck, and neck through design which typically adds to the guitar cost.
Is the hardware you speak of the gold hardware that wears off in a matter of months? Yes the Navarro signature is overpriced, it's a PRS signature model and they charge more for it simply being a signature guitar. The EXACT same arguement has been used here in regards to Jems (IE a Jem is a RG550 with a monkey grip and lion claw trem routing).
I also didn't say a PRS is value for the money for EVERY guitar out there. I specifically compared it to Gibson. However, I will compare them to EVERY guitar out there and say that they hold their own very well against any brand. I have played a decent variety of different guitars (ESP, Jackson, Yamaha, Charvel, GIbson, Fender) and still go back to Ibanez and PRS each time.
And you've got to get off the rotary switch issue...If you can't work it, that's your issue with the guitar. I have no problem using it to switch pickup arrangment, Alex Lifeson doesn't, Larry LaLonde doesn't and countless others. It's really not that hard. I don't like the knob going to 10 either though. I think, and it's only my opinion, that side by side with other companies, PRS makes a very beautiful guitar with great fit and finish, wonderful tone and wonderful playability. PRS also has a range of neck styles to choose one, so if one doesn't match your style, you have the option of selecting other designs. If I didn't like my Jem neck, what's my option?
I'm just saying, I've got a Jem90 and a PRS CE24, and I love them both dearly and will keep both for as long as I'm around. They're both great guitars and deserve all the accolades they get.
Just don't call the kettle black though please.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:26 PM

I say PRS are overpriced. Bigtime. I've only played one so I can't speak for all of them but I feel sorry for the guy that bought it, and I'm not brand bashing. I'm talking about my experience with one guitar.
And to be fair it didn't play like crap really but it didn't play great either. And considering the price I guess I expected a whole lot more.

Last edited by Rotti; 03-15-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:05 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
I say PRS are overpriced. Bigtime. I've only played one so I can't speak for all of them but I feel sorry for the guy that bought it, and I'm not brand bashing. I'm talking about my experience with one guitar.
And to be fair it didn't play like crap really but it didn't play great either. And considering the price I guess I expected a whole lot more.
Exactly - I was wondering what all the fuss is about. I thought it just wasn't all that. Or even a little that. Again - it could have just been the one I tried,, but it was pretty much lame. Maybe becasue I am used to Jems
Old 03-15-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Exactly - I was wondering what all the fuss is about. I thought it just wasn't all that. Or even a little that. Again - it could have just been the one I tried,, but it was pretty much lame. Maybe becasue I am used to Jems
Are Jems all you play?

To be fair though, that would be a typical statement from a Jem player, and a PRS player would say the same thing about Jems. Two vastly different guitars, both great in their own right.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my old JEMS from 88 to the late 90s -- some of my fave guitars ever bobbydevito JEM and Universe Guitars 26 07-25-2011 04:28 PM
Well... I'm leaving today... FloridaNative Off-topic / Miscellaneous 44 06-14-2007 08:44 PM
FS: Lots of various guitars including 2 Jems... Davey Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 24 04-14-2007 10:14 AM
Storing Jems (and other guitars for that matter) jemboyee JEM and Universe Guitars 6 07-26-2005 11:57 AM
Jems are just about the most frustrating guitars around! shreddervai JEM and Universe Guitars 5 11-22-2004 03:24 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29