Ibanez JEM Forum banner
27K views 295 replies 47 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
#105 ·
Re: look at this sacrelige jem (old grip too!) with a floyd rose swap and bill lawrence!

I've never believed the tone of the guitar really comes through in any pickup, it's mainly the pickup and amp you're hearing. Of course, the wood does influence it somewhat, but not nearly as much as people think. Just my opinion.

I wasn't saying my RG750 sounded like Darrell's tone, and that wasn't what I was after anyway, but that pickup is great for metal in general, whatever guitar you put it in.

#106 ·
I've never believed the tone of the guitar really comes through in any pickup, it's mainly the pickup and amp you're hearing. Of course, the wood does influence it somewhat, but not nearly as much as people think. Just my opinion.

I wasn't saying my RG750 sounded like Darrell's tone, and that wasn't what I was after anyway, but that pickup is great for metal in general, whatever guitar you put it in.
I think the wood matters a lot.. thats why you cant get that awesome neck pickup blues tone that a strat has, out of an RG... well it's difficult. But yeah I wasn't really saying you were trying to get that tone... I was just saying the guitars aren't the same so the tone is obviously going to vary quite a bit... especially when they aren't even made of the same woods? I dont really know too much about this yet i'm still moderately new to the whole woods-tone pickup-sound thing.... I've just noticed certain things from guitars i've played so far... But anyway :) i SWEAR im going to bed now.... lol

oh yeah and edit: the amp does matter QUITE A BIT in tone... you are correct there.. i've learned that too...

#116 ·
Re: look at this sacrelige jem (old grip too!) with a floyd rose swap and bill lawrence!

I like the Floyd, I could happily live with one. It's as good as the Edge, IMO. And actually it flutters way better, from my experience (I've played a hell of a lot of Floyd's). There is no way I'd replace an Edge with one, though.

#117 ·
I know this is a little off topic, but I still don't see how the people who agree OFR's are just as good as Edge's can think EP's suck more than both even without the locking studs? The OFR doesn't have them either ;)

This isn't directed at anyone because I can't remember whether Dee or Aryton like the EP or not. But it's just odd to me...

#118 ·
I dunno, IMHO you can't say whether an OFR or Edge is better, until you have it on the guitar. I usually tend to "judge" a guitar as a complete set of parts assembled into a functional object, in this case a guitar. If the axe feels good right away, I couldn't care less about what type of whammy is on there. If the thing works, it's fine.

I really liked the Kahler Spyders. I Still have a guitar with that one in it.

Regards,

JP

#119 ·

Well for the record, I can use the Edge, OFR or LoPro. I have never owned a guitar with a EP long enough to have an opinion.

The OFR gets a bum rap due to the number of crappy pot metal copies out there.

#122 ·
Well for the record, I can use the Edge, OFR or LoPro. I have never owned a guitar with a EP long enough to have an opinion.

The OFR gets a bum rap due to the number of crappy pot metal copies out there.
No, it may be very necessary depending on what he wants. The Floyd feels and sounds different than the Edge.

I guess you have never used one then.

The bottom line is the guy can do whatever he wants to HIS guitar.
I guess so, it is his guitar... but it's poor in taste to do what he did.

I dunno, IMHO you can't say whether an OFR or Edge is better, until you have it on the guitar. I usually tend to "judge" a guitar as a complete set of parts assembled into a functional object, in this case a guitar. If the axe feels good right away, I couldn't care less about what type of whammy is on there. If the thing works, it's fine.

I really liked the Kahler Spyders. I Still have a guitar with that one in it.

Regards,

JP
Hey i have a kahler flyer on my neckthru locally-handmade strat. :)

#121 ·

OFR, Edge, and Lopro Edge carry equal weight with me. Edge pro with locking stud mod (in any softwood), is just barely behind that.

Although that guy is a tool to be sure, his mods arent all that suk.

#125 ·

Out of the three I have used, one is not preferable to the other (to me). I can be happy with any of them, and I am much more subtle with the tremolo than in my younger days. :)

#135 ·

I sold the pickups (green PAF Pro's) a while back to help pay for an RG3120. I then sold the RG3120 to pay for my RG550 20th Anniversary which hasn't been released yet.

Apart from the 750 having no guts, it also has a broken bridge stud, no paint, ancient strings, broken fine tuners, and needs a fret job. :)

#141 ·

I have not read the threads for a while and am gob smacked with this one.
What a prick.
Pink pick ups may not be a good combination on something like a Les Paul but this is a Jem and thats what they came with.If I got my hands on a Root Beer with faded pick ups then id put pink ones back on.And as for removing the Edge to replace it with a Floyd Rose,what a knob.
And as for saying that the knobs on the 777 series didnt match,well neither do the ones he fitted.Prat.
But what can you expext from anyone wearing a sh*thouse vest like that.

#144 ·

Come on now people, each to his/her own. I feel the homophobic comments are a bit much. Let the guy do his thing! I find the rock god poses quite silly, but the guitar mods aren't that bad, I've seen much worse.

#147 ·

Haha. I can't! No matter how run down and beat up it is, this 750 was a present from an ex-girlfriend. I wouldn't get rid of it because it was given to me. One day I'll repair it and fit new parts.

Here's a pic from the day I got it back in 1990:

#149 ·

Well, it's nothing special, Ayrton, basswood doesn't really look very interesting. It could be burnt, stained and clear coated, I guess, like a Root Beer JEM.

I actually like the un-amplified sound of it with no paint, it's quite vibrant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.