Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Moral issue with my custom builds

Tags
custom logo vai
13K views 131 replies 38 participants last post by  shayfoley 
#1 ·
I have a question for all of you. I've built more than my share of guitars over the years and I do it for enjoyment and stress relief as opposed to make money. I love building custom JS style guitars, and am going to start trying my hand at JEMs. I never do copycat guitars (save for a couple Black Dogs I've done for close friends). I love doing custom colors, using high end hot rod paint, and love trying different pickup and wiring configurations.

I typically give these guitars away for cost, or slightly more. I've never represented these as Ibanez guitars, and in fact go to great lengths explaining to whomever gets a guitar my build process. I've kept a few.

My conundrum is this. Except for a couple, I almost always place an Ibanez logo on the headstock. I think it just looks good, and as I like to paint the headstock to match the guitar, I try to pick out a complimentary logo color. Again, I'm clear with people that this is a custom guitar and not an Ibanez, but the more I read on here, the more I see that this is a divisive issue.

I'm receptive to any comments you guys have, and I'll try posting this in the JS section also.

#3 ·
. . . but the more I read on here, the more I see that this is a divisive issue.

. . .
Well, there ya go.

I'll welcome you to Jemsite, but you probably should've come up with a less inflammatory second post. ;)

You'll find people here on all sides of the issue, but what we all can agree on is this will go much more smoothly if you post some photos of your guitars. Make ten comments in a few threads, come back tomorrow and post the pictures.

Peace

Mike

#5 ·
Sounds good. I'll make a few posts and then post a few pics. I've got two here at home that I've kept and one mid build (clear coat stage).

I apologize if I've already ruffled some feathers. However, I've got three bodies and necks here, and before I start my next project, I want some sort of idea as to whether I should logo these or not.

Thank you, and I'm def not trying to start a flame war. I've been an observer on this site for more than a year, and I have nothing but respect for all you guys here.

#8 ·
Yep, this has been done before.

I feel that putting an ibanez decal on a non ibanez product is wrong. I've seen a parts guitar sold as an original jems in a guitar shop, and the seller was convinced it was bona fide. I don't think it is a good idea to do that kind of thing.

I've copied the ibanez designs for some of my customs but I don't fit new logos.

If you build a lot of customs why not design a new logo?

#10 ·
I don't think it's an issue so long as it's presented as a "replica" instead of the genuine article. Ibanez guitars don't look right without the headstock decal IMO. Even the prestige models without the check look a little weird to me. Still, if a "replica" falls into the hands of someone who has ill intentions (or just isn't aware of what he has), chaos can ensue. Perhaps the best advice is to tread carefully, but what do I know? I'm still new here, too :)

#11 ·
from what ive seen on here from other peoples opinions, if you wanna badge it up as an ibanez, thats fine, as longa s your dont try to ever sell it as genuine!

but if u become a dealer, then people will start to get really shirty with you!

personally, i dont see anything wrong with it, and you'll probably find that if you put the logo on you'll get criticism, and if you dont, you'll get criticism! :p

rich

#14 ·
All my guitars that are built from parts are meant to be played. I don't need "the right" decal for the guitar to play any better. I think it's wrong to use an Ibanez decal on something that is not Ibanez. It's very easy to make your own decals, so if you really need something on the headstock make your own unique logo.

Strange perhaps, but new people join forums every day. If everyone searched for answers, there would be no forums. Be happy that people start topics and are active. It's very easy to ignore it should the content in a thread not be to your liking. ;)

#18 ·
What I find humorous about the "decals vs. no decals on customs" argument is that people can get really passionate about the use of Ibanez logos on non-Ibanez guitars, but don't blink if the headstock is an Ibanez headstock.

People say "don't put the logo on the headstock unless its a real Ibanez", but that headstock design is just as much a registered trademark of Ibanez Guitars.

So if you use the headstock, why not use the logo that goes with it? For all we know, putting your own logo on the trademarked headstock of another company could offend even more people :D

I reckon using the logo on your own personal customs is fine. As you said, you don't try to sell these guitars off as the genuine article, which is what separates your guitars from all the Chibanezes on auction sites.

#23 ·
omg. you guys are nerds ,put the logo on it.
Its just a tribute and if a cool ibanez wasnt 500000000000000 dollars im sure you would buy one.

Better yet put a logo on it that says: Ibanez i'm sorry i made a copy of your guitar and am now to scared to put the logo on it because its like putting my head in a hole and hope people dont see me.

I don't know if it would fit but would be awesome.

#29 ·
My stance has always been that these should be labeled as a copy/tribute somewhere visible (back of headstock?) as well as in the neck pocket. That way if the guitar ever hits the market, the potential buyer will know that they're getting a counterfeit.

Being upfront and honest doesn't really take a lot of extra effort and shouldn't be a debate.

#31 ·
My stance has always been that these should be labeled as a copy/tribute somewhere visible (back of headstock?) as well as in the neck pocket. That way if the guitar ever hits the market, the potential buyer will know that they're getting a counterfeit.

Being upfront and honest doesn't really take a lot of extra effort and shouldn't be a debate.
This is the perfect answer!!

Shay: Your obviously proud of your work, and rightly so (I would be too). Put your name to your work....let people know you did it now and in the future.

Stamp something like "This tribute Ibanez JS1 is proudly crafted by (your name here)" and then a "tribute/copy" stamp in the neck pocket, trem cavity, or electronics cavity. This will protect future buyers from buying one of your guitars from a second "less scrupulous" seller. I DO think a stamp/branding is necessary. A clear coated sticker is easily removed.

I applaud that you came here with a genuinely good question and stated that you have a moral dilemma with the logo. Anybody that want's to give you a hard time for being honest is an a-hole, which (to me) renders their opinions moot.

Please post some pics of your work. God knows, any JS/Radius guitar is the hardest to do. I'd love to see what you've done with yours.

Ryc

#30 ·
Welcome to jemsite. :) I have made 3 of these custom type ibanez guitars, 2 I have sold and the other I have kept for myself. All the guitars have used stock ibanez parts ,tuners, Trem ect ect. The bodies have all been custom made however the necks have been Ibanez jap factory made. So I have had no problem refinishing the headstocks and re fitting an Ibanez logo

The one in the middle, was a yellow jem, When I purchased the guitar the body was damaged very badly, pretty much beyond repair. I didnt fancy owning a guitar that had 1/2 a ton of filler and glue holding it together, so I got a custom hand made body from area51 customs. I then thought I would change the colour to LNG.
If I was to sell this guitar I WOULD inform the buyer that the body is not an Ibanez factory body.
with regards to fitting an ibanez logo onto a custom body/ neck guitar then ......... hmm Im not sure.

#65 ·
The guitar is based on a jackson soloist, the guitar was built back in the late 80s by a british builder 'Gordy' formerly 'Manchester Guitar Company' and formerly the other half of 'Gordon Smith guitars' (or company founder). Two of these guitars were made one in black with a 'Kahler' and the one pictured with a scalloped board and a floyd. the workmanship and attention to detail is far far greater than any jackson I have ever seen. Neither of these guitars has the 'Jackson' logo on them. funny really this reminds me of the old saying "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is a duck" clearly not the case with this though :)

#35 ·
Just put custom logo's on the guitars. Ones that look like Ibanez logo's but don't say Ibanez. Maybe paint/stamp the back of the headstock stating CLEARLY that it is not an OLP and has no direct relation to Ibanez guitars. Then there's no way that people will think you're making copies for prophit and no one will get mad. And no one will sue you :)

#38 ·
That's a great idea guys. My father has been a master woodworker for the last 45 years (mostly furniture), and he has a custom wood burning stamp that states "Handcrafted by Daniel M. Foley". I'm going to order one with my name, and then stamp the inside of the neck pocket on the body, and then also the back of the headstock, or the inside of the neck joint. That way I can feel good about this, as well keep others from doing anything unscrupulous with them.

Pics are forthcoming. I just did my first swirl paint job ever, so please, please take it easy on me you guys! lol. The swirl looks a bit disjointed on a JS style, but I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.