My Jem 30th Review - DY - Jemsite
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

My Jem 30th Review - DY

Bear in mind that I am putting aside aesthetics, collectability, and just down right cool factor and focusing on the utility of the instrument. The aforementioned are there in spades. However, if they are of no importance to you, then with your eyes closed and a pickup swap you won't be able to tell the difference between the 30th and a 505. In either sound or feel. Now, this isn't a knock on the 30th by any means as it's a great guitar and I'm pleased with it. What it is however, is a strong endorsement for just what an outstanding bargain the 505 was/is. Regardless, a couple of obligatory pics, and one with a well seasoned original...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 AM

Re: My Jem 30th Review - DY

When you say Jem 505 you're talking about the midrange budget Japanese built Jem with cheap pickups? I'd be more interested in how you felt it compared to that original Jem 777 you have sitting next to it.

From the picture it looks like the original is longer/different shape, I'm guessing just an illusion caused by the newer guitar getting out angled in the photo.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:12 AM

Since you already own a DY, why get another one? Why not a different color?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
When you say Jem 505 you're talking about the midrange budget Japanese built Jem with cheap pickups? I'd be more interested in how you felt it compared to that original Jem 777 you have sitting next to it.

From the picture it looks like the original is longer/different shape, I'm guessing just an illusion caused by the newer guitar getting out angled in the photo.
I prefer the feel of the original models. I'm sure that has to do with the fact that I came up on the originals, so those are what I grew accustomed to and what are most comfortable to me.

The only thing that is midrange about the 505 are the pickups, and perhaps lack of locking studs. Everything else is top notch on those.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post
Since you already own a DY, why get another one? Why not a different color?
Maybe yellow is my favorite color. But seriously, I own all three of the original neons. A situation arose where picking this up was a no-brainer. I may end up getting rid of it, or I may end up owning all three 30ths before everything is said and done. I won't be getting rid of any the original three, though.

Last edited by jemboyee; 02-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 01:26 PM

How does the 30th differ in feel to the original then? The only Jem i've properly played is my own, a 94 7V that I bought in 2005. So really I don't have much in the way of gauging how these Jems are meant to play compared to the older ones.

Tomorrow I recieve confirmation on my possible order (colour pending). How is the fret wire and compared to the original, and like the fretwork in general (edges especially), and stuff like the neck profile shape (is it the same or different?)

Cheers!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:31 PM

Nice review! Do you by chance have any of your Jems tuned a full step down? I have a LNG coming and was thinking about tuning it down a full step since my other guitars are either in standard or half step down.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Maybe yellow is my favorite color. But seriously, I own all three of the original neons. A situation arose where picking this up was a no-brainer. I may end up getting rid of it, or I may end up owning all three 30ths before everything is said and done. I won't be getting rid of any the original three, though.
Cool. Yeah I really like my LNG 30th. Been playing it a ton. How does the neck finish compare to the orginal? Are they done the same way now as then? Satin poly? Only other Ibanez I've had was a RG770DX which was like a satin poly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:22 PM

Paying for exclusivity and crazy aesthetics has always been part and parcel with the Jem. I doubt many people buying this guitar are comparing the 505 and this guitar and honestly thinking that they're getting something more from a playability standpoint with the 777 reissue.

The problem with the 505 is that it looks too much like an RG550/655. Add to that the fact that you have a mob of people piling on saying a Jem is just an RG with fancy aesthetics and I can see why that model didn't sell. Which is unfortunate because the neck is the really great part about the Jem and is certainly not like an RG550.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
How does the 30th differ in feel to the original then? The only Jem i've properly played is my own, a 94 7V that I bought in 2005. So really I don't have much in the way of gauging how these Jems are meant to play compared to the older ones.

Tomorrow I recieve confirmation on my possible order (colour pending). How is the fret wire and compared to the original, and like the fretwork in general (edges especially), and stuff like the neck profile shape (is it the same or different?)

Cheers!
The neck on the newer one has a flatter feel to it, while the old one is a bit more rounded. Fret edges are fine, and I actually prefer Warmoth 6105 frets. I've had my SK and LNG originals refretted with it. The original DY has had enough fret dresses that the wire really isn't 6100 in height anymore, so it's smooth and comfortable to me.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Nice review! Do you by chance have any of your Jems tuned a full step down? I have a LNG coming and was thinking about tuning it down a full step since my other guitars are either in standard or half step down.
I do not, but with this scale length tuning down should be of no issue. Sometimes the shorter Gibson scale length can get flubby.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Cool. Yeah I really like my LNG 30th. Been playing it a ton. How does the neck finish compare to the orginal? Are they done the same way now as then? Satin poly? Only other Ibanez I've had was a RG770DX which was like a satin poly.
Just satin.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Paying for exclusivity and crazy aesthetics has always been part and parcel with the Jem. I doubt many people buying this guitar are comparing the 505 and this guitar and honestly thinking that they're getting something more from a playability standpoint with the 777 reissue.

The problem with the 505 is that it looks too much like an RG550/655. Add to that the fact that you have a mob of people piling on saying a Jem is just an RG with fancy aesthetics and I can see why that model didn't sell. Which is unfortunate because the neck is the really great part about the Jem and is certainly not like an RG550.
I believe I covered that in my first sentence or two.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:

The originals use 6100 frets, while the reissues use 6105 (same as your 7vwh). Not a huge difference though. The edges should be fine with the Prestige edge treatment. Although they haven't really been doing it with maple boards, I'd imagine they'd be nice on the reissues.

The JEM neck profile seems to be similar to the Wizard Prestige profile for several years now - 18/20mm thickness and 58mm heel. Like most RGs these days, the reissues will likely feel wider and flatter than the originals because of the wider heel.

I have a '00 7vwh, and briefly owned an '88 JEM777 SK. Both feel narrower and chunkier/rounder in comparison to the RGs/JEMs that Ibanez is producing these days. All that being said, I haven't had a chance to play a reissue yet.. Just going off past exp's and the specs

Quote:
Was your 770dx an original? My 770dx reissue has a satin poly that is very nice and smooth. I find that the golden era RGs have a slight gloss finish. The '88 JEM777 SK that I used to own felt more bare than my 770dx reissue. Not sure if that's how they all are, or if it was a result from years of play. Both are smooth and comfortable.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
The edges should be fine with the Prestige edge treatment. Although they haven't really been doing it with maple boards, I'd imagine they'd be nice on the reissues.
Comparing pics from Rich's inventory, the fret ends don't look all that pretty on the SK but the fretboard edge looks comfortably rounded. The RG655M board edge has little to no radiusing. Neither do the bound birdseye boards for that matter but at least those could be corrected without going through the finish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode