Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New custom build 77PMC

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  hangingmonkey 
#1 ·
I've ordered a PMC swirl body from Alan at OOTS and I'm going to get a neck custom made. Its still early days and but Ive been messing around on photoshop and here's the result after a bit of cut and pasting...

See less See more
#4 ·
this is a killer PMC, and one of Al's best swirls overall to me. It looks nothing like the original PMC's but it is a hundred times better.
And I'll go with the green knobs and pickup. You will find it's next to impposible to get a purple single coil cover that will fit a dimarzio single. Dimarzio does not make them anymore and other replacments you can find on eBay will not fit. I know since I needed one about a year ago.

#6 ·
Yeah, I agree, I think not so much of a PMC but more of hybrid swirl which reminds me of a cross between the PMC and a PAW. I'm not really that much of a fan of the PMC swirls mainly because most of the swirls Ive seen look washed out and dull (at least in the photos anyway, Ive never seen one in real life).

I've given up on looking for purple single pup covers, and Alan says pretty much what you said. The closest thing Ive found on the web is purple covers for rails. Heres a couple of other color combos:

(Probably too much green on that one)

#13 ·
Hey Gorija, thats a nice swirl, the purple humbuckers go really well with that swirl.
For my project I'm gonna either go with purple/green or purple/pink. Ive ordered a pup cover so I can try out both color combinations.

Where did you get the screws to direct mount the pups to the body? Also what did you use to adjust the pup height - foam padding?

#16 ·
To be completely honest, i'm not entirely sure what screw size will work. I went to my local hardware store and brought one of my pickups and tried to find the narrowest wood screw. Unfortunately the ones I found were to long. So I grinded them down to fit with an angle grinder. I also found the stick on weather stripping that worked out absolutely beautifully for pickup adjustment.

#17 ·
so, Im currently getting a custom neck sorted out for this baby. Im trying to decide between maple (probably no), a flame maple and a birdseye maple.

I've made a rough mockup using photoshop and the the TCT website:

http://www.yajimastringworks.com/tct/yswtct-kisekae-e.asp

in case anyone is interested as the v guitar site is down

I know the flame and the birdseye isnt part of standard Jem design but I wanted something a bit different anyways.

Thoughts...

#19 ·
Hi Shane,
Thanks for the pic. I went with a flame maple in the end as the guy building the neck for me said that the quality of his birdseye supplier was variable and could get better flame.
Still do post up more detailed pics of your neck, would love to see what could have been...

Nice swirls btw, the one on the right looks like a herc. Who swirled the left one?

#21 ·
Well, the most boring part of a guitar project is waiting for all the parts to be ready but Nate kindly sent me over some pics of the progress on the neck so far and it looks like good progress so far. The body should be coming later this month when it is clear coated.

I was bored so I took some pics of the hardware so far. The rest is on order...

#24 ·
Interesting. I think the yellow would look better on yours as you have some yellow in the swirl. From the colors on mine I think that both green and pink would work for the single, which is why Ive ordered a iscv2 in pink and Ive got the cover for green so I can try both.

Why did you go for just green for the neck pup as opposed to the green/pink combo?

#28 ·
Well Ive bought a lo pro cosmo trem now and the body from Alan has arrived this week.

Wow! Ive never seen a swirl up close before and all I can say is that the photos cant do it justice, the colours are so vibrant, especially on a sunny day.

Perhaps I'm limited by my camera skills also so perhaps some forum members with dSLRs could advise me about the settings and how to optimize getting the best color capture.

As for the neck, hopefully in a few weeks should arrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.