Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New Project

Tags
vlng
2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  CSwick_2 
#1 ·
Well, it's time to start on this project. I have had these sitting here for some time and I have cleared up my other projects so time time to get started.

The body is Pearl Swirl and it's not so great. Since this photo was taken I have prepped the body for paint. She will be getting a nice LNG paint job, coupled with the neck it should make an interesting VLNG style replica.

I will document the journey as it happens.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

-B
Shot of the pair together as I got them in a trade.

Not a bad trem

View of the neck, I'm having it re-fretted right now.

Good blank headstock. I'm still deciding on what to do here, I picked up one of the green headstock decal kits from the bay, but I may have my buddy airbrush the logo and shoot some clear.

See less See more
#3 ·
very cool - green swirls are my fave swirls...can't wait to see how it turns out!

btw, I should probably know this, (hopefully not a dumb question =0 but what does VLNG stand for? If LNG stands for Loch Ness Green then what does the V in front stand for?
The V simply stands for Vine. Ibanez produced certain guitars back in the day with colored vine inlays such as the 777VDY a desert yellow paint scheme with a yellow vine inlay on rosewood as opposed to the pyramid on maple neck.

Ibanez of course never made a VLNG, but since it's my replica I'm building I figure I should make something a little different than the usual suspects.

#8 ·
The swirl was ok; but the body was not properly prepped prior to swirling. Lot's oh hanging bur's and nicks etc. A very poor example of a Nate Pearl swirl. A moot point anyways as I have already sanded and sealed the body in preparation for it's new paint job

#13 ·
Honestly, I'd be tempted to change things up a bit. Especially if the 550LNG is already yours.

Maybe go with yellow pups/claw and pink knobs/tip. You could also go a little nuts and go with multi-color pink/yellow pups like I did on my swirl.

Regardless of color choices, I would go bannanas if you were to use IBZusaF/C pups. That would put a killer touch on any custom. They're stupid expensive from DiMarzio brand new, but I think they're worth it. Expect to see a set on my (not so soon) coming RG760 NGD thread.

#23 ·
There has been a change in plan. Chris over at Mai sent me a picture of a GMC he just finished so it's going to be a GMC with a maple vine neck :razz:

I think I'll be taking my 777DY body in and get it restored. That's my next project when the GMC is complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.