Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD: '88 JEM777SK

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  sebastian 
#1 · (Edited)
I already had a really nice SK, but an even nicer one popped up for sale locally for only $200 more than I had spent on mine, so I had to snap it up. Thanks to sebastian for taking my other one and making that transaction so easy!

This thing is a virtually unplayed guitar. There is no wear of the clear on the fretboard and negligible fret wear. No neck joint cracks and no paint chips. Only damage is two clearcoat dings in the top of the guitar, which don't show up in the pictures. There is a small amount of fading on the guitar, especially on the headstock, but overall I liked that this guitar appears more pink than the one I sold, despite the fading. I was really tempted to keep the neck off the other guitar, since the headstock matches this body almost perfectly. But in the end I decided that a mint board was better.

On with the pics!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Ryc! She feels great and stays in tune perfectly. I need to A/B it against one of my other Jems, but I feel like the sound is a bit off. I felt like it sounded a bit muddier than the one I sold Sebastian, but I didn't play them back to back (mine wasn't together yet) and it may have something to do with how mine is wired.

Sebastian's guitar is wired the way you'd expect, with the red wires being hot, the white/black tied together and the green/bare tied together and grounded to the volume pot. Middle pickup has the red going to the switch and black to ground.

On my guitar, I found the pickups were wired in reverse polarity, with black going to the "hot" spot on the switch, green/red tied together and going to the other spot on the switch and white/bare together and going to ground. For the middle coil, black is going to the switch and red to the volume pot. This is the factory wiring of the guitar.

Of course, this may all be in my head, and maybe I just had a lot more mojo coming through my hands when I was playing Sebastian's guitar LOL!

#9 ·
Hi Guys,

I have 3 early Jems wired as Rides' SK.An '87 DY,LNG + '88 FP.In comparison to a '91 DY wired as alternately,I can't tell a great difference to be honest.Perhaps Dimarzio wired the pickups differently for the 1st year or 2.Then changed for ease of production ?
Either way,if Ya not happy with the way she soundz,I'll be happy to take her off your hands. ;-) That thing is just stunning. Congrats. (The SK is the missing link in my Neon collection :) )

Regards:Shane155

#15 ·
Mine is pinker than yours. The color on yours is more bold, but the clear coat has ambered somewhat. It's odd because there is no fading of the paint on your whatsoever. If you take off the truss rod cover or the pickguard, the paint is totally uniform under there.

Mine has some slight fading, especially on the headstock, but the overall effect of the guitar is more pink. You can see an outline of the truss rod cover if you take it off and to a lesser extent the pickguard. However on my guitar, the clearcoat is more clear, which is why overall the guitar seems more pink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.