<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:47 AM

not likely a sustainer jem soon....

Went to the G3 show in Oslo on sunday, and as the lucky guy that I am, I won an aftershow pass ticket! So I asked steve after the show if there will ever be a jem with a sustainer.(just thought I'd share this)
He said it was difficult to find one that was stable and worked well. The one he used in FLO was very stable, while he was having many problems with the one in the triple neck guitar.

So it didn't seem like we can expect one of those soon

However we can expect a new album. He was thinking about a release in the fall (yey!)

BTW: During the concert I did see him use a guitar labled EVO, so she's probably not retireing yet.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:53 AM

How cool is that! Well at least you have heard it from the horses mouth.
Quite a reliable source I would think!
Gary - The.Godfather
Old 06-22-2004, 12:16 PM

I wonder what he means by "stable".
Old 06-22-2004, 09:27 PM

Well, I've owned two Jackson PC1's, and the Jackson/Floyd Rose sustainer in those are very stable and reliable...and expensive! $900 just for the system!

Brian
Old 06-22-2004, 09:43 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1
I don't understand the comment, as followup commentary would be needed to make heads or tails of it.

Either way, it would save alot of hassle, speculation and waiting just to put in your own sustainer in a JEM, RG or whatever. Ibanez doesn't seem much interested in anything these days the customer paying $$$$ wants. I mean, could you imagine Guitar Center, MF, etc. trying to "service" a sustainiac guitar. ROTF... glen
Old 06-23-2004, 12:16 AM

I don't know if he means the same thing, but by "stablility" in these systems, i have installed several at work for people, and found the driver pickups to not always be equal. Some seem to have more power than others, and while the first thing in mind is battery power, we checked...

With sustain systems, you can usually lightly touch a note and have it swell up to whatever intensity it's set for. But it's been wierd where you'll find a system where it may not like certain notes, and will actually not catch them as well...we have a butchered guitar at work where we tried several ideas out to see what the issue was, because obviously different guitars have different personalities (sustain, note resonance, etc...)

We found some very wide variances in the driver pickups. In the same guitar, we'd change just the driver and nothing else, and find some picked up just about everything, and others were much less dynamic, where you'd have to pick the note to make it catch... In the case of Vai's triple neck, this is a picky issue because he's also fretless there. So he's gotta have a good driver to keep it rolling...

Just sharing...he may have meant something else...but that's been our experience...

Tags
floyd rose, triple neck

Show/Hide Posting Rules