<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:30 PM

Quality control - Built by a craftsman or monkey?

Hi,

I've just read a post from someone commenting on Jem\Ibanez quality control. I am curious to know if there's anyone that has paid for a Jem\Universe only to find that the quality is not what one expects?

About 12 years ago, my friend ordered a GMC. When it had arrived it was chipped - fair enough, that could've happened in dozen different ways.

I have a BSB which has been misbehaving by not allowing me to tune it after I removed all the strings - would only get near pitch when the floating angle had tried to fly. After several strings and tantrums I decide to take it to a chap for repairs. The missus picks it up for me and a note is included saying "Fitted a kick allowing the trem to float".

The trem is sitting perfect now but I don't understand why a kick needed to be installed to get the trem to float - it used to float before I removed all the strings. Is this a design flaw? Should kicks be installed as standard? Am I waffling bollocks?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 PM
(a)
Vendor

First you'd have to translate what a "kick" is, but nothing needed to be installed. You tuning problem was user error and nothing more.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:47 PM

Suddenly, I'm thinking of the Brad Pitt character in "Snatch"....I don't understand a single word!
Old 02-24-2004, 04:14 PM

Reviews: 5
cheers mate... we can't understand you

Floating bridges will always be a not-quite perfect science, but if you're experiencing problems on a new guitar, it's probably in the setup. Read up in the setup sections of this site and Ibanezrules.com

As a poor person who payed his own money for a JEM7VWH, I have to say I was stunned and impressed at the level of quality I found. In terms of fit and finish especially. The JEM has better sustain and generally better assembly. The RG570 I own from the 80s has a huge neck pocket and lots of play in terms neck straightness. The JEM does not. The JEM needs to be tuned very infrequently. Although I don't use the trem often, this pattern is the same on all my guitars. However, only the JEM can do without daily tuning.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:17 PM

Re: Quality control - Built by a craftsman or monkey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codnchips
Hi,

I've just read a post from someone commenting on Jem\Ibanez quality control. I am curious to know if there's anyone that has paid for a Jem\Universe only to find that the quality is not what one expects?

About 12 years ago, my friend ordered a GMC. When it had arrived it was chipped - fair enough, that could've happened in dozen different ways.

I have a BSB which has been misbehaving by not allowing me to tune it after I removed all the strings - would only get near pitch when the floating angle had tried to fly. After several strings and tantrums I decide to take it to a chap for repairs. The missus picks it up for me and a note is included saying "Fitted a kick allowing the trem to float".

The trem is sitting perfect now but I don't understand why a kick needed to be installed to get the trem to float - it used to float before I removed all the strings. Is this a design flaw? Should kicks be installed as standard? Am I waffling bollocks?
Dude, If your ever up Milton Keynes way, Just pop by with guitar in hand, I'll set it up, Have no idea what a "kick" is ... At a guess, He got frustrated and kicked something (hopefully not part of your guitar) then charged you for the pleasure

Rob
Old 02-24-2004, 04:23 PM

When I got my first VWH in '93, the inside of the monkey grip wasn't finished. At all. It was bare wood. I was working in a store at the time and honestly wouldn't have minded keeping it (since I'd waited from NAMM in January until July to get it!). But, the owner of the store wouldn't have it. He sent it back in exchange for VWH #2 which had the worst fret job I've seen on any Ibanez. Could have sawed logs with the fret edges, and frets 11-16 were all completely dead (a few of them were lifting out of their slots). Needless to say, it was September before I ended up with a suitable guitar, which I hung onto for the next 9 years

I've not personally had any other issues with Ibanez QC since then, but have seen quite a few nasty instruments come in to my favorite local dealer.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:33 PM

Fortunately, the few bugs I've seen are stuff like high or low nuts or maybe a bad fret, but never a loose neck pocket or something bigger like that.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:49 AM

Ha ha, apologies for my use of phrases, I forget some may not get it, so I shall write correctly as tawt in skool!

I must admit, I'm a bit concerned now as none of you know what a "Kick" is (Other than the physical movement). It went under the neck, where it joins.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:01 AM

Aahhhh, a shim.
He put a shim in the neck pocket - it's quite normal if your trem sits too low in the trem cavity when setup with the right (prefered) action.
I've personaly shimed the necks on all my guitars and also the nut on my VBK so it's a very normal thing to do.

Even the most diligent QC team is bound to let a dudd slip out once in a while and it seems like Chris saw 2 of them back to back.
Still, what you had were minor setup issues which are totally normal on a new mass produced floating trem guitar.

ilia
Old 02-25-2004, 07:19 AM

Shim-shiminey, shim-shiminey, shim-shim-sheroo!

Well done Sherlock (aka DEX)!

The paranoia has gone now![/quote]
Old 02-25-2004, 12:01 PM
(a)
Vendor

The only reason a shim would be needed to get a trem to float is if the action has the strings almost laying on the frets. A shim only provides additional pull-up range on the trem and still, had nothing to do with your tuning problem
Old 02-25-2004, 12:36 PM

I still reckon he kicked it ya know

Rob
Old 02-25-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Rob
Yeah right. A bloody sicko! Filthy minded Guitar abuser!......Now I come to think about there was a shoeprint on it...and white sticky residue!! A guitarophile!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codnchips
Quote:

Rob
Yeah right. A bloody sicko! Filthy minded Guitar abuser!......Now I come to think about there was a shoeprint on it...and white sticky residue!! A guitarophile!

Rob

Tags
floating bridges, monkey grip, trem guitar

Show/Hide Posting Rules