Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Replacing just the pickup covers ?? - Can it be done ??

13K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  mike777 
#1 ·
Hey, thinking about changing the pickupcovers on my new jem10th to black, so I can play it without worriing about tearing on the chrome. Can I buy just new pickup covers or do I have to buy the pickup itself ????

#5 ·
Replacing just the pickup covers ??

Rich, can't he check out the Jeannie Pickguards 'pickup covers' section?
I don't know much about these vinyl pickup covers for humbuckers, but they sound like a great alternative... esp. if you want to bring back the color in faded pink PAF-pros. Has anyone tried these out? How do they attach? Do they wear well?

-Ben

#7 ·

That's what I was worried about- I would never apply those to ANY Jem. . . I'd rather buy new pickups than "gum-up" the originals. And it's only a matter of time before they peel, right?
I had this hope that there wasn't an adhesive involved... that they snapped on or something. Too bad.

-Ben

#8 ·

thanks for the replies guys !
This means I will have to go for some new pickups.
I am gonna use my jem 10th as a "players guitar", and I rather just safely store the chrome pickups away before it`s too late.
- there goes another 300 $ !!

#11 ·

you might want to try to use "rubber cement" or less abrasive type adhesive to glue the covers on. Double sided tape to me, seems like the least logical choice. You can change the middle cover and buy two black DiMarzios for about half of $300. Good luck... glen

#14 ·

DAMN!! I never even THOUGHT of that!! Congrats Caprile, I think you solved the problem for bloaks that want to play their 10th's and JS90's!! Although you could peel it off the bass side while playing it couldn't hurt and will add alot of protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.