<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 AM
(a)

Re: SK Clone project

Where the grip transitions to the top and back, feel how smooth and rounded it is on the DY. Then look at the Jem plans on this site. The grip has a much rounder radius than the edges of the body. None of the aftermarket body makers do this correctly.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Reviews: 2

Them aftermarket bodies are a pain in the arse to prepare, especially in the lions claw and monkey grip.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 AM
(a)

Also, the paint in the pickup routes isn't flat black paint, it's shielding paint.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy mills View Post
Them aftermarket bodies are a pain in the arse to prepare, especially in the lions claw and monkey grip.
Yes, the lion claw is the worst part because of sanding, I can't find/make the best instrument for sanding the groove. A small piece of sandpaper over my finger just isn't doing the trick. Someone in a past thread mention a drum stick...so I found something close to that and trying it. I was the grooves sanded without sanding down the tips of the claw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride
Also, the paint in the pickup routes isn't flat black paint, it's shielding paint.
Thanks, I could go over all the cavities with applying it with a brush, I need to read up more on that.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM

After several iterations of priming and sanding and priming and sanding, I'm getting ready for the final sand and move forward. After a little research I found the claw sanding to work best is a sanding sponge and cutting slots for the peaks of the claw. Unfortunately I appeared to wear down some of the main peaks of the claw, and bring it out more during the taping.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM
(a)

Looks nice and white man
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks. Had the body almsot ready with just 320 grit paper, but after I wet sanded with 600 it was like glass. Pretty happy with the prep work.

Can't wait to get color on, that's the scary part. I want to be 100% before putting this color on, and need to match how I did on my test sprays.

Also, just remembered when I put a pickguard on my RG570 in the past about having to get longer volume/tone pots, but remember the switch was the problem, so I've read and found out that in my situation here I should just cut a hole in the body for the switch to allow it to attack direct to the pickguard.

Last edited by LMDAVE; 08-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 PM

OK, since this is a progress thread, I will show the results of the paint application. I can't make up my mind if I'm happy or not. I like it, but it's not completely what I expected. I made a youtube video showing the guitar also, the quality isn't good enough for you to see it ion great detail, but I talk about the outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgrLYmypK0k

Here's a pic also, when I refer to rough spots in the video, it's not from the prep work, it just that the florescent paint puts out a powderish coat that I wanted to smooth out.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 PM

What brand/kind of paint did you use? I did a LG 7 string refinish a while back and based the body in white and then sprayed the neon green over it. The neon green base color went on smooth but it was really transparent, so it required about three wet coats for good coverage. I used House of Kolor when I did mine.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 PM

Let me know if you need any help on this and I will try to walk you through it.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM

I'm not using a spray gun system or any professional paints, I'm using cans. These 3 rustoleums almost match the three 777's perfectly...with the exception of how the pink applies

Yeah, these are very transparent also, with is why I didn't apply directly over the white, I sprayed a coat of cool light blue (over the white) to give the purpleish tone. If you look on page one of this thread you'll see some samples I sprayed. Unfortunately when I started putting more coat the less transparent it was.

I'm testing some lion's claw colors with this also. I sprayed a coat of yellow first then applied the green over it to give this tone. I may test a few other variations before I move forward with the actual application.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 PM

ive had some problems with those exact paints the neons that is. the paint never seemed to stick correctly and it was very transparent. Bubly as we'll
Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM

I've had no problem with it sticking, it goes on well. I feel I prepped this guitar better than any other than I did in the past. Its really just the pink tone that changes.

I think a really nice LNG or DY can be made with the above cans.

I know the other member here Paul who is doing the LNG project right now is using this same stuff and had some problems. I would probably relate that to the undercoat/primer.

But, ready to get the claw painted and start sealing this in with the clear coat and polishing it up.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 PM

yeah the pink florescent turned kinda orange when i used it a few times. but the green looks really nice real close to an LNG.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 PM

I work at an autoparts supply store and I have tried refinishing a couple guitars my self. Take some 1200 sand paper and soak it in water. Wet sand the guitar. Do not soak the guitar. You want to have the sand paper wet so it doesn't "clog" with paint. Smooth it out and after that apply another couple coats. When it happens again repeat the process.

Tags
777sk

Show/Hide Posting Rules