Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Steve Vai's P&W Universe Prototype Guitar

14K views 56 replies 37 participants last post by  Thomss79 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,
Just thought id share this photo of me back when i was 18 (many years ago) with Steve Vai's Universe guitar from the cover of Passion & Warfare, it was also used on the album and later Steve gave it to my friend, Thomas McRocklin (or McLaughlin as he is known now).
Such an amazing guitar and a piece of history.
Im hoping to meet with the guitar again soon, and if so ill post more pics!
Cheers, Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
Apart from my own Jems, some of which are not exactly stock guitars lol, I have one of Steve's flame guitars which was given to me as a birthday present whilst I was living with him (during the time of recording the B4G record).
I'd often go to his vault and play with lots of his guitars, but I always really loved the look of the Flame guitar, which I'm guessing he realised :p

#39 ·
Wow.

It's like seeing the Statue of Liberty's head peeking through the sand in Planet of the Apes--that thing is a piece of history.

All I wanted was that guitar and the boots Steve is wearing on PAW when I was a kid. I would probably pass on the boots now but seeing that guitar just gives me goosebumps.

Heads up!

PS Hi Thomas :)

#43 ·
Haha, any time guys!
Since I'm actually practising around 3 hours a day currently, - not 12 hours a day like I was when I was a kid! but it's enough for me to improve back to the standard I was at, or better...

I'm going through my main personal Jem's one by one (some need new Edge's etc) and getting them all playing great again. Since it seems here we're all a lover of these guitars so I'll get some better pictures of them to check out. There are some pretty funny stories from back in the day that go with each one of them. Have a great day guys : )

#44 ·
Thanks for sharing that photo Thomas. What an amazing piece of Vai history you have there. I guess we would all love to see the other Jems/Vai related guitars you have from back then.

I throw on the Bad 4 Good cd every now and then and have a good listen to it. Its a great cd. You you guys were pretty talented. Are you planning on releasing anything new?

#45 · (Edited)
I have made lots of tracks over the years apart from the 91-95 album, I just didn't release them. Until recently I've been mixing and mastering other artists projects. The studio stuff is something I've already enjoyed.

But I've now slowed those projects right down so I can start getting my playing to a standard that I'm happy with.

Maybe I should post a new thread so that people can ask any wonderful and wacky questions about myself, or Steve etc! : )

#55 ·
Thanks for sharing and taking part Thomas. I think its lovely that you own that iconic guitar.
Back in the 90's (pre internet), there used to be a friday night UK rock\metal show called 'RAW POWER'. There was an awesome video of you, Steve and Joe Satriani playing a song I think called 'Going down'. I was a student and had only just started playing and remember thinking wow, how amazing. Steve had a Jem that wasn't a production model.....it was bright green and streaky - not a GMC Jem though 😀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.