<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM

Unhappy

Stolen JEM777LNG #174

This is probably fruitless, but it's been breaking my heart so I wanted to post it JUST IN CASE...

Back in 1987 a 19 year old guitarist went into a Guitar store and purchased his FIRST NEW premium guitar, costing much much more than anything he'd ever had in his life, a JEM777LNG numbered 174. Putting cash down for some of it, the rest he put on his first credit card. He proudly carried home his purchase and was so in awe of this guitar he just stared at it in it's case for two months before he had the courage to pick it up and try to play it. He placed a piece of clear tape across the signature to protect it's integrity. The guitar wasn't even paid off yet the locked storage unit where the band practiced was broken into and it was stolen along with some other equipment. It was 10 years before he could talk about the incident without wanting to murder someone and was able to accept that it was gone. 25 years later you can still hear the pain in his voice when he talks about it.

I am asking, if you have JEM777LNG #174 please contact me. I would dearly love to get this guitar back for my man for our wedding. No, I can't pay thousands of dollars for this guitar, I simply don't have the funds. But you'd be doing the right thing. He has survived cancer twice in the past two years, almost dieing. He is the sweetest, kindest man you would ever meet. His first love after me and his children is his music and he has the smoothest, fastest fingers. I could share some videos that would blow your mind! Please help get this girl back to her rightful owner.

Thank you,
April
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Re: Stolen JEM777LNG #174

That is a heartbreaker. I will keep my eyes open. What finish and parts does it have on it? Is there anything really specific about it in case we find it and there's no visible serial number? With a guitar as specific and somewhat rare like an Ibanez Jem, it's not fruitless, especially posting here.

My drummer had his guitar stolen, which was a one of a kind Ibanez JS 100 with aftermarket black EMG 81s on it, transparent red finish, and a visible crack through the signature inlay on bottom fret. He has since replaced it with so many guitars like other Ibanez, Fender Am. Std strats, and several Gibson Les Pauls, all somewhat nice, but nothing quite so special as that particular instrument which had a certain mojo with body and pickups that even no other JS I have seen has including several JS 1000s I tried out. That one was stolen in Gilroy, CA (near San Jose, CA) so I assume it won't be anywhere near norcal.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM

I did mean to mention, it was purchased in Raleigh, NC and also stolen in North Carolina. It was the Loch Ness Green and I don't know all the lingo but I know it had all the "accessories". Palm rest or something?

It IS heartbreaking and I know he's looked for it on the 'net but I thought I would reach out knowing how rare these are and maybe someone has come across it and maybe that someone might be a really awesome person and will get in touch with me.

Thank you all!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilrayn View Post
I did mean to mention, it was purchased in Raleigh, NC and also stolen in North Carolina. It was the Loch Ness Green and I don't know all the lingo but I know it had all the "accessories". Palm rest or something?

It IS heartbreaking and I know he's looked for it on the 'net but I thought I would reach out knowing how rare these are and maybe someone has come across it and maybe that someone might be a really awesome person and will get in touch with me.

Thank you all!
And go onto:

TheGearPage.net
TDPRI
strat-talk
sevenstring.org
and others.

Many of us guitar players love more than just one brand and if you canvas the big sites like these, somebody may eventually come up with it or a lead. Also put e-mail notification in case it turns up months from now, or later.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM

Finding it is one thing,getting back another...it wouldn't be cheap as they are still big money.
Totally understand his loss and pain,i would kill the thief if i got hold of him.

Sadly though the current owner probably bought it legit for big dollars not knowing its past history and may love it dearly also....but just knowing where it is may ease your mans pain somewhat, especially if the current owner promises to give your man first chance to buy if it is going to be ever up for sale.

Good luck with the search,don't give up and contact Rich Harris of Ibanez rules,it MAY have passed through his hands at sometime over the years.
His business banner is at the top of the page (ibanez rules),worth a shot.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM

Thank you so much, I will follow up on all leads. I know it's a HUGE longshot, but miracles happen every day and I thought it was worth a shot. He's often said he just wants to know where it is (and that he'd cause serious bodily injury to the thief and he's a lover not a fighter). But I also know there are some good people left in this world and if perhaps it's gone to a collector, who might have more than one... you never know. And I just felt like I have to try.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM

Sometimes bad things happen in life... Its fated.. Its how you handle it...if the guitar cant be found.... Just let it go
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM

He has accepted it's loss. I thought I'd try to find it because I love him and I can tell it meant a lot to him. There's nothing wrong with that. I hope that one day you have a woman that will love you just as much, djanggo.

Thank you for everyone's support. It's appreciated. Those of you who have loved an instrument understand why if I love this man I should look and hope. Stranger things happen every day. And you never gain anything from doing nothing.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

You can count me in on the search!!!

Does you fiance' have any pics of the guitar?? Did the case also have a numbered pyramid on it??

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM

That really sucks. I had a 96 Les Paul Standard that I had bought new when I was 15 that got stolen a few years ago, so I know how it feels. I knew who it was and the person responsible was punished to say the least, but I didn't get the guitar back. Best of luck getting it back.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM

The weird thing is #179 is on E BAY right now. I was somewhat interested in it since it's my dream to have an LNG, but the "Steve" and the "179" is rubbed off, what if that 179 was really 174? (given 4's being mistaken for 9's)

It's killing me seeing 2 LNG's up for sale in the same week, this one, and the one here on JEMSITE a few days ago. I didn't think I would see one for a while and 2 in the same week.

I'm just not ready to fork over the $3K since I just bought a 777DY and need to recoup a little financially.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM

We looked at that one on ebay. His had no "symbol" on the back. I guess Steve would draw various symbols and his did not have one. You're being rained on by desirable guitars right now. :-)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 PM

It was the pink lined case, but he can't remember if it was numbered.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM
(a)

Reviews: 13

Hmmmmm........

-Wolfram
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 AM

I just bought #124 here in NC. Scared me when I saw the post. I hope you get it back, I really do! However, you're probably going to have to pay market for it as I bet it has changed hands many times over the years. Do you have any pictures with it for some legitimacy? I monitor LNG's, so if I ever see it, i'll be sure to report back to this thread.

Tags
#174, jem777lng, steve vai, stolen

Show/Hide Posting Rules