<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Re: The collection

killer jems..great collection u got going there enjoy them all.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:25 AM

HI guys...thought I would put this here. I am updating my insurance on my guitars and would like feedback on value for the JEMs. Not interested in selling them just want an idea or what to tell the insurance company.

SK-not much fade. 2 of the pickups replaced, fretboard discolration, a few dings and wear on the neck joint plate. Signed by Vai

DBK-Dead mint

VWH-corrosion on the birdge and a few clear coat scratches on the body that are hard to see, ebony fretboard.

BFP-Close to dead mint. Looked at it again. very very faint fading on one portion of the neck plate. No dings and other hardware perfect. Pot backing plate signed by Vai

all have original cases. SK case has some wear.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by jimmi; 01-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Reviews: 13

Very nice collection!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 AM

Man, that '50s Les Paul is beautiful..... Any close up pics available???

Awesome collection....
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 AM

Overall very nice collection of guitars! I agree, that blue Strat really stands out. Wow!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Wow. You have all the bases covered nicely. I had an '80 Les Paul Custom and your '81 Gibson may have those really great Tim Shaw (Gibson engineer then, Fender engineer now) humbuckers. Serial on back will reveal that with cross check on internet. They are the one thing collectors are excited about in the Norlin era of Gibson and Epiphones with Gibson humbuckers. Some Gibsons work well and others are not that great but many have ripped out anything from '80-'86 and put them in their favorite axe. I thought about getting some Shaws for my favorite ESP. The Classic '57s are basically the same idea but there's something about the Shaws that are magic and collectors are snapping them up driving up the price every year. Other than finding them used in a store from an owner who doesn't know, some of these puppies can go for more than the guitar they are in and I have seen them at $500 each, but certain examples can fetch almost an unlimited amount of money. You may have one of those if it's double creme and a proto with no serial on back. However 99.9 % percent of them will have serial thought but look out for extra small cable/lead hole on bottom. Readings on earliest ones, while they were on the way to final, will vary. Someone in Japan will give you an amount that could re-buy your entire collection twice over. PM me and I can tell you more.

Look for something along these lines in the inked serial for regular production Shaws:

137/138
372/373
498/499

Tim took Gibson away from the experimental '70s pickups and put the humbucker squarely into the original design as close as possible. Next to real, vintage patent applied for humbuckers, these are the most sought after, actually, along with Ibanez Flying Fingers humbuckers.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-20-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Lovely collection mate. Love the SK and BFP.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM

I have owned the Heritage award almost since it was new so the pickups are original Shaws. I have never had the covers off so I don't know if they are double cream or not. This was a gift...one of the last, from my grandfather so not sure I would part it out anyway....besides, it goes for a nice sum together in the unlikely event I every wanted to sell it. I am about to purchase 2 more les Pauls, one of which is a Leo Special that has Shaws (see below) I will post more pictures in this thread when I get them. The other is one of the historic reissues....currently talking to 2 different people about 3 different ones. The Leo is more of an investment, the historic is for me to play gigs with as I am starting feel uncomfortable taking the les Pauls I have. Playing more southern rock/blues type material recently so these are getting more playing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Wow. You have all the bases covered nicely. I had an '80 Les Paul Custom and your '81 Gibson may have those really great Tim Shaw (Gibson engineer then, Fender engineer now) humbuckers. Serial on back will reveal that with cross check on internet. They are the one thing collectors are excited about in the Norlin era of Gibson and Epiphones with Gibson humbuckers. Some Gibsons work well and others are not that great but many have ripped out anything from '80-'86 and put them in their favorite axe. I thought about getting some Shaws for my favorite ESP. The Classic '57s are basically the same idea but there's something about the Shaws that are magic and collectors are snapping them up driving up the price every year. Other than finding them used in a store from an owner who doesn't know, some of these puppies can go for more than the guitar they are in and I have seen them at $500 each, but certain examples can fetch almost an unlimited amount of money. You may have one of those if it's double creme and a proto with no serial on back. However 99.9 % percent of them will have serial thought but look out for extra small cable/lead hole on bottom. Readings on earliest ones, while they were on the way to final, will vary. Someone in Japan will give you an amount that could re-buy your entire collection twice over. PM me and I can tell you more.

Look for something along these lines in the inked serial for regular production Shaws:

137/138
372/373
498/499

Tim took Gibson away from the experimental '70s pickups and put the humbucker squarely into the original design as close as possible. Next to real, vintage patent applied for humbuckers, these are the most sought after, actually, along with Ibanez Flying Fingers humbuckers.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Man, that '50s Les Paul is beautiful..... Any close up pics available???

Awesome collection....
Thanks. I will post a few that I have that I made for comparisons to the Heritage for someone

Last edited by jimmi; 01-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 AM

Thanks for posting them... As I said, that is one awesome looking Les Paul. I bet she plays sweet?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM

Very nice collection!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM

wow... nice!

Show/Hide Posting Rules