<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM
replica  is online

The JEM guitars are not "Signature Model" guitars.

With the exception of the couple of models that have Vai's wacky pyramind logo on them, I don't consider the JEM guitars to be signature model guitars. They don't have his name on them anywhere. They were designed to his specs, sure. But they were designed first and foremost to be just really great guitars.

I was just reading the "Untold History of Ibanez" book and I've read elsewhere that Vai wanted the JEM guitars to transcend signature models, and I think they do.

When you look at the typical "Signature Model" such as a JS or Wolfgang or Tremonti, it's the other guy's guitar first. They've got the guy's name right there on the guitar. Everyone knows you're playing some other guy's signature model.

So that's why I dig the JEM guitars. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM
(a)

Re: The JEM guitars are not "Signature Model" guitars.

That's a really good point, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that knows anything about guitars and guitar players that doesn't automatically think Steve Vai when they see a Jem. Steve Vai and the Jem are such an iconic combination and the two are so nearly inseparable that the Jem doesn't need his sig on it to be a sig line....
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM

Semantics. I don't think anyone that sees a Jem and knows what it is doesn't think it's not Vai's signature guitar. I know Vai wanted it to transcend the signature guitar idea but it really doesn't. Even he said it's the longest running signature guitar in history, save the Les Paul, in which he doesn't consider a signature guitar. Either way, it's a fine guitar.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM

Yeah, either way, when everyone sees a JEM they think Steve Vai. It's the thought that counts. lol
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 PM
replica  is online

A great guitar no matter what.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:09 AM

Reviews: 11

I see what he means. Regardless of if it's associated with him, the only consistency between the Jen and vai is that association. I believe it's more than a signature, it's a artfully created guitar that is top notch.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 AM

I dont even like vai's music that much yet love his guitars, i agree with you 110%
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Reviews: 11

Yeah, I think you can't look at a Jem without thinking Vai. Unless you don't know who Vai is, then, we can't really comment on how we would think about that when most of us here are quite the fan of the man and his product line.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM
replica  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancap77 View Post
I see what he means. Regardless of if it's associated with him, the only consistency between the Jen and vai is that association. I believe it's more than a signature, it's a artfully created guitar that is top notch.
Yes. Someone who has no idea who Vai is will think it's just an awesome guitar.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Or, people who know who Vai is thinks the Jem line is great. I really doubt there are many Jem players out there who don't know Vai. Also, the models available to the public has been the same he has used live. I think the relation between Vai and the Jem is strong. Stronger than many other signature models - especially thinking about all those Fender Strats where you can't tell the difference from a picture. The Jem is instant Vai to me. If you just want a great guitar, there are a lot of options out there without a monkey grip.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
the models available to the public has been the same he has used live.
Not true. Production Jems don't come with sustainors.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
(a)
Vendor

Steve has a couple guitars with sustainers, you can have one too if you have one installed as he has. Otherwise most of his guitars are standard Fujigen production just like you can buy off the rack.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Reviews: 4

I'm sure licensing with Fernandes for a factory install on a production Jem would probably be a sticking point. Is the Sustainer factory equipment in any guitar besides those made by Fernandes?

I wonder if Steve's tried the Sustainiac?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
(a)
Vendor

FLO and FLO2 are not VWH's, they just look like VWH's.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM

Ever since I got my first JEM a few months ago, I've never had it referred to as a "JEM" I've taken it out a lot and every guitarist I met has called it the "Steve Vai Guitar." I agree that it wasn't Steve's intent to have it be a signature line, but most people's first encounter with a JEM are through pictures of them with Steve in a *************** magazines or something similarly. They are always advertised with Steve for a reason.

Tags
jem, signature

Show/Hide Posting Rules