<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
(a)
Vendor

Re: There's A HARDTAIL Jem Coming [2009 JEM7EAFX see post #73]

I think they're running neck and neck down the back straight.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 PM

Not up to me what changes they made. My point was that this is basically a no cost incurred (other than the bridge) new model for Ibanez that's uninspiring.

For a new model Jem, a totally landmark guitar for Ibanez and Vai fans, it's weak. The fact that Vai signed off on it is believable, and disappointing.

But, a couple more posts and I'll think it's as nifty as the new PGM, so no worries!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 PM

Well yeah...obviously Steve (or someone else at Ibanez) likes black and mirror...and I agree that when HE wants something different we'll see it. I would also feel a little different if every other picture I saw of Vai was with a black guitar with a mirrored pickguard....but that's not what I see most of the time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the JEM models are NOT the only Ibanez models that have had mirror pickguards are they?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Not up to me what changes they made. My point was that this is basically a no cost incurred (other than the bridge) new model for Ibanez that's uninspiring.

For a new model Jem, a totally landmark guitar for Ibanez and Vai fans, it's weak. The fact that Vai signed off on it is believable, and disappointing.

But, a couple more posts and I'll think it's as nifty as the new PGM, so no worries!
You think it's so uninspiring but have no suggestions of what they should have done? Until you could do better.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjem View Post
Well yeah...obviously Steve (or someone else at Ibanez) likes black and mirror...and I agree that when HE wants something different we'll see it. I would also feel a little different if every other picture I saw of Vai was with a black guitar with a mirrored pickguard....but that's not what I see most of the time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the JEM models are NOT the only Ibanez models that have had mirror pickguards are they?
Feel free to start naming them.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 PM

Well I cant accurately account which if any models had it (which is why I asked to be corrected) and I know if I so much as miss one minor detail of a model number you'll pounce on me for it (in order to correct me in the kindest manner of course)...I do alot of catalog slobbering and thought I remembered some lower model RGs of years gone past with smokey mirror pickguards, if by your reply you're saying they didn't exist, I'll take your word for it because I damn sure wont remember which model I might have been thinking of off the top of my head.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
(a)
Vendor

Smoked mirror doesn't count

I can only think of 1, RGMETAL, which of course became the JEM90, and was plated brass instead of "mirror" so doesn't really even count. There may be more, but I can't think of any.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 PM

I could do better based only on MY perception of what I wanted to see from the new Jem, and what I hoped for from Vai based on things I've seen him do before. But then it would be MY guitar, not a Jem. Yeah, he's been stuck on black and white for a while, but he has great potential for unique looking guitars. Guess he just reserves that for the special editions.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
I could do better based only on MY perception of what I wanted to see from the new Jem, and what I hoped for from Vai based on things I've seen him do before. But then it would be MY guitar, not a Jem. Yeah, he's been stuck on black and white for a while, but he has great potential for unique looking guitars. Guess he just reserves that for the special editions.
So I guess we have to wait for the JEM30th. Maybe then I will be able to afford something that expensive.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:37 AM

it makes me think : hm.. it's kinda cool if someone collect all the black jems, imagine this :

from left to right :
Black JEM with green inlays and pickups, JEM 10th anni, JEM DBK, JEM 77V BK, JEM hardtail.

and of course : Black UV.

please DO post the pic when you have them all.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 AM

Thumbs down

Let me say up front that I didn't see the point of a Jem hard tail, if Steve really wanted a hard tail to play they should've started from the ground up. If they are only doing it to placate those who can't deal with floating trems, why bother with the heavy handed Vai connection.

Personally I'm not interested in one, I would own a PGM90 if I did. However, I think the mere presence of a hard tail Jem dilutes the Jem brand, even more than the 555 or 333. So this is a bad idea for all Jem owners.

Secondly, the implementation of this monstrosity is just abysmal:

BRMR/VBK spare parts = fail; even if they did reprogram the CNC machines, it still gives the impression that they had no inspiration.

Breeds = fail; not that I dislike breeds, but if you design new pups to go with an acrylic guitar, why not redesign pups to fit a fixed bridge.

non fitting pickguard = fail; the best proof that it is indeed a spare parts job: they couldn't be bothered to redesign a 15ct piece of plastic.

black + no binding = fail; they understood black needs binding, on the UV, VBK and 10th, why not on this thing?

new age decal circa 1997 = fail; worst part is they couldn't even get the decal centred on the body...I hope carvin sues them for misusing the VAI script-logo.

tight end bridge = fail; stupid name written in a stupid font (spells "tight and") stupid brass nuts to hold the damn thing together. It almost looks like a regular HT wrapped in a Pup-ring...the only thing I dislike more than non-fitting scratchplates is pup-rings on a non-arched top.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 AM

So the body is actually routed for the lion claw?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:25 AM
(a)

Reviews: 25

The worst part is that it looks like a chibanez, and thats going to confuse the hell out of people who dont know any better.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:14 AM

I think the new bridge, especially with the way the logo is written, has a kind of retro look about it!!

Maybe Steve has so much on his plate he couldn't be bothered putting in much effort into ideas for the new JEM. Fair enough, that's understandable. A real shame as surely the marketing people behind this must understand Vai fans like extravagent looks. Come up with another success like a DY colour and these things could've become intensely popular with the biggest market for JEM guitars

I guess Vai has settled for his guitars being merely the tool to get the job done, rather than the flamboyant statement that grabs your attention and makes you want to listen to what he's going to do.

(before the usual BS replies, i am not saying they should've been neon/DY, just come up with something that would make most JEM owners say "WOW I'm having that.").

I'd sure be interested in trying one though just to find out how a hardtail JEM feels
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
I think the new bridge, especially with the way the logo is written, has a kind of retro look about it!!
Yea, It looks like something Peavey would have designed to be used on a late 70's T-60. --Jason
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post

Maybe Steve has so much on his plate he couldn't be bothered putting in much effort into ideas for the new JEM. Fair enough, that's understandable. A real shame as surely the marketing people behind this must understand Vai fans like extravagent looks. Come up with another success like a DY colour and these things could've become intensely popular with the biggest market for JEM guitars

I guess Vai has settled for his guitars being merely the tool to get the job done, rather than the flamboyant statement that grabs your attention and makes you want to listen to what he's going to do.
That is what I tend to think happened here....its not like this is the only thing on his plate but I dont think the marketing people at Ibanez understand anything about Vai fans...or maybe they think there's no way to please us...probably isn't really...so they play it safe with black and Steve's okay with that. Like was mentioned earlier, if Steve wanted it to be something special he would have made it that way....as it sits right now....to me...thats what it is missing....that "specialness" that a first year, hardtail JEM deserves. This thing looks like a JEM project guitar that someone built and is finished like a $500 guitar. I said it earlier, my flame maple topped RGA321 blows this thing out of the water in the looks department......but of course, it's not a JEM.

Show/Hide Posting Rules