Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Universe PU selector switch - Are all of them only 3 way?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ns9 
#1 ·
I'm checking my UV7BK '97 and mine only has a 3 way switch.  I don't see anywhere on the specs pages specifically regarding the Universe's PU switch.  I would have thought the Universe would have the 5 way switch like the JEMs.  Even my JEM Jr. has a 5 way.  The guitar has been modified - I think cosmetically only - by someone in the past.  I got it pretty cheap and it seems functionally sound.  I was thinking maybe someone changed the switch as well as the other changes.

#6 ·
Universe PU selector switch

Hi! Actually, it could be an Yngwie related mod- maybe. He switches to 3-ways cause he "dislikes" the middle p/u on is strats, and used to disconnect it. 3-way mod is easier to use for quick changes between two pickup settings, less chance of hitting an "in-between" setting, if one chooses not to use the middle p/u. Personally, I don't care for the middle p/u half the time. If there is one on a guitar I have, I usually lower it as far as I can so it doesn't get in the way. Yeah,yeah,yeah...odd picking hand positioning. Damn habits. I also fret 1st pos. major barre chords "backwards" (pinky and ring finger pos. swapped). Go figure... :) Nikki :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.