Ibanez JEM Forum banner

UV77MC - To play or not to play

3K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  uv77re 
#1 ·
Just traded all of my toss around guitars for a 91 UV77MC. That leaves me with it and a 88 JEM77FP. They are both holy grails of playability and tone to me but is it risky to play them too often? Not gigging with them but every time they come down from the wall there is a risk of damage. What do you guy's do with your more rare guitars?

#6 · (Edited)
On a serious note skip the belt buckles,watch out for zippered hoodies and jackets and dont let your noob friends mess with them. Also if you have kids or pets and leave the guitars out lock the door or return guitars to their cases.Wow im getting paranoid about protecting your guitars I think im losing my mind. On second thought LMAO

#8 ·
Well, I can tell you that for myself, I only ever buy a guitar to PLAY. I realize rare guitars can be an investment, but that is NOT what I buy a guitar for. I own several Jems as well as a couple rare Kramers, Charvels, Gibsons and Fenders. I also have a couple of "who carws" guitars that are ok for friends/guests to play with. Invest in stocks... Play your guitars!

All that being said, I will also admit I am borderline OCD about taking care of my guitars. They get thoroughy wiped down & strings cleaned & oiled after EVERY playing session, without fail. They only travel in hard cases... Even just downstairs! I'm super conscious about what I wear when I'm playing them - soft T-shirt & no belt buckles, keys or cell phone in my pockets, etc... Nothing that can possibly scratch. At gigs they are strictly hands off & always behind me away from drunk idiots. At home on the wall they are look but don't touch.

I guess my point is when it comes to owning nice guitars you really can have your cake and eat it too! Take good care of them & they'll take care if you. But absolutely, unequivocably, without guilt or hesitation, for the love of god please PLAY THE HELL OUT OF THEM! Or I will come take them off your hands & play them for you! ;)

#11 ·
Cleaning them properly will help keep them looking good for a long time.
Get a nice micro-fiber cloth and some Martian Guitar polish.
Avoid using paper towels on guitars, they leave swirly minute scratches in the clear-coat
Keep them in the cases when you're not playing them too.
Get another guitar that you don't worry about so much for times when you need to take a guitar somewhere.

#17 ·
PLAY THEM. They are on the wall, just be careful when you take them down. Thats about the only time I have a chance at damaging mine, I am just as retentive about the condition of my guitars. When I lean into the desk to change a preset or change a knob, I instinctually hold the guitar to my chest with the other hand, I dont have anything around the area I'm playing in so I dont knock the headstock and I try to keep my picking pinky nail short so I dont scratch the pick area.

No windmills and you should be good!!!!!!!!!

#20 ·
Well, I went and bought a S470 today to toss around and decided to play the others but mostly just for cutting tracks and such. Of course I'll end up with another Prestige within a couple months to replace the one I traded. I just LOVE the Edge Zero. I'll post pics soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.