Ibanez JEM Forum banner

UV77MC production: ATD vs MKR. Everybody's help requested.

105K views 275 replies 74 participants last post by  msm944 
#1 · (Edited)
Due to a number of past debates it's time to settle this once and for all. Without accurate production numbers deliniating ATD from MKR production lets do this the old fashioned way, hard work.

If you have a UVMC, if you see one for sale, if you know somebody else that has one, if all you have is a picture of one, I WANT IT!

Pictures are the only thing required. Not 7 pictures from every angle. ONE single picture of the front of the body is enough to tell an ATD from an MKR in 98% of the cases.

Post a link to where a picture can be found, email a picture to me [please, no 17gigabyte files] ALL pictures of original UVMC's welcomed and needed.

Pictures, links to pictures, anything you've got can be emailed directly to me, rich@ibanezrules.com , or can be posted in this thread. I will create pages on my site to post the pictures and let the counting begin!

[Edit] - I've made this a sticky topic. Imho this is the sort of thing Jemsite was originally created for, so I'm giving this thread all the help I can! :) - jono

I'm not sure when this got unstickied, but there would be no wonder why it went dormant for so long. Thanks to [somebody] for bringing it back to the top!

I'll leave the previous stats below and just add current stats over, if this thread lasts another 2 years [and no doubt a few bourd crashes] I'll continue to update [when somebody else resurects it again ;)]

THANKS TO ROBB MURRAY [Lefty Robb to everybody here] for taking the time to sort and photoshop the 34 new guitars added to the pages. 23 were MKR's and 11 were ATD, although I have another 4 ATD's that I forgot about that still need to be done, just so I'm never accused of salting the mine!!

Current total on the page [11/7/06]

ATD - 49
MKR - 86
Unsure - 2 [unchanged]

It's still clearly evident that MKR's far outweigh ATD's, I have no doubt when somebody else resurects this thread in 2008 that the added guitars at that time will reflec the same percentages.

Just to bring the meat to the table, the pics are finally organized.

Count at this time [1/09/2004]

ATD - 38
MKR - 63
Unsure - 2[/b]

Far surpassing the supposed 60 in existence ;)

All pics have been resized to minimize the bandwidth drain. This isn't meant to be a master UVMC Gallery, it's only meant to show as clear [and some of these pics are ultra fuzzy] a front body shot just to be able to diferentiate one from another.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/uvmc_mkr.htm

http://www.ibanezrules.com/uvmc_atd.htm

http://www.ibanezrules.com/uvmc_unsure.htm

The following comentary [if any, there sure shouldn't be much arguing now! ;)] starts here

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=280777#280777

THANKS for the pics so far guys!! KEEP them coming but ONLY if the guitar is not already shown on either page, please!! ;)
If you know of an MKR that was reswirled into an ATD please specify.

See less See more
#157 ·
yeah, I have found that website approx a year ago, and that UVMC is one of the best swirled I have ever seen!!! Perfect balance of colors and swirls directions, a lot of chaos and tiny details. In my opinion most of the ATD swirls much more attractive than the MKR ones, but not every ATD is nice. Sometimes an MKR is better than an ATD!

#177 ·
Like I said, no problem at all, I actually enjoy doing stuff like that. These are truely one of the most stunny production guitars Ibanez ever made, and each one is a true work of art.

Some of them came out kinda crappy, but its very hard when they start out bad (I swear a few of these were camera phone shots, :roll: ), sometimes photoshopping them just makes them worse especially blowing them up, stretching them out and what not...Luckly I was able to make a match on a few really crappy ones that you sent me to the ones that were already up on the page. And of course some of the really dark ones held really nice surprises after brightening and sharpening them up, the colors just popped out..

Its to bad ATD went MIA because his work is unreal.

oh, and this one seems to be really popular, it was in 3 photos Rich sent me and was already on his site..

#173 ·
Yes, usually but sometimes an ATD could be very ugly as well. The best ATD swirls were made only for VAi. If you see those UV's you will see, that the swirls directions, color balances are so unique. For the mass producing Darren had not done the same. Sometimes Darren's swirls are so simple with big, wide stripes across the guitar body without tiny details, chaos.

Perferct examlpe the DNA proto. That is perfect. If you see the DNA gallery you can find terrible swirls, wide stripes across the body ( as I mentioned ).

This is only my opinion and Darren is a pro and the God of swirls, it is no question about it. I just wanted to say, that an ATD basically does not mean it is killer.

#174 ·
Nobody said just because it's ATD it's killer. Far from it. And just because it's MKR doesn't mean it's lame [although it's mostly true].

The DNA proto should be just the best pick of the color sample batch it came out of. It's not a single swirl done for anybody, just the nicest of that batch. The artist usually gets the proto or show model because that's usually the only one in existence fully completed and it's all about getting the finished product to the artist. Many times in advance of the show and they have to borrow it back to show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.