Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V - Jemsite
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

I apologize for my bad English.

Okay, so I bought a brand new JEM7V about three months ago. I wanted a good guitar with a tremolo system that almost didn't go out of tune at all, so i tried it out and it seemed to be working fine. Now, about a month ago I noticed that when I whammy up (strings tighten) the tremolo system doesn't go back to its original position. Instead it stays up a bit so the guitar becomes sharp. If I then whammy down (strings loosen) after that it goes back to its original position. I have visited two different guitar technicians and none of them could figure out what the problem was. However, neither of them picked the tremolo system apart so I can't be sure if there's a malfunctioning or if it can be solved. They told me to send it back but I bought it in Japan (live in Sweden) and rather not pay the expensive shipping costs.

Has anyone had the same problem? Can it be fixed or do I need to send it back?
Borgen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 597
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

Pretty typical problem with floating bridges, though I've definitely run into it far less frequently with Ibanez Edges. I would initially suspect that the guitar just needs a good setup, wherein you make sure that the knife edges of the bridge are exactly parallel to the top of the guitar. If that doesn't help, it's possible that the knife edges could stand to be sharpened a bit.

Check out some of this stuff for more info:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

In particular, see "Trem Angle" and "Sharpening Knife Edges", but there's plenty of good information there.
djohns74 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

I'm sorry, but I just can't seem to understand what the knife and the knife edges actually ARE. I tried to google it, but couldn't figure it out so could you just explain it to me please?
Borgen is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:33 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 597
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

So then you didn't check out the link I provided? Because the knife edges article there really couldn't make it much clearer.
djohns74 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

Sure I did. I just couldn't figure it out by looking at the photos, perhaps they were TOO much close-up. I'll have another look, thanks a bunch btw!
Borgen is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 1,041
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

Edge pro equipped?

it might be the studs have created an oval shape since they're not locked down and that's why it's going out of tune maybe?
Homebake is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 597
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
Edge pro equipped?

it might be the studs have created an oval shape since they're not locked down and that's why it's going out of tune maybe?
Being a brand new guitar, it would have an Edge Pro, so yeah, that's another possibility. Though I don't really know how quickly this can become an issue for a new guitar, whereas I have heard that the knife edges can be too thick straight from the factory.

Borgen, the knife edges are nothing more than metal inserts in the bridge which rest up against the posts and essentially provide the surface that the bridge pivots on. All Floyd type bridges will have some kind of surface that rests up against the posts and provides the pivot point, but with the various Ibanez Edges, this surface is a separate metal piece that's inserted into the bridge. You can see it in the pictures on Rich's site, though yeah, they are pretty close up.

Anyway, from what I've heard, these knife edges sometimes come from the factory not "sharp" or "thin" enough and thus don't pivot entirely reliably against the posts, thus the advice to sharpen them slightly and make the edge that contacts the posts thinner and more reliable in terms of tuning stability. I haven't experienced this exact problem myself and have never sharped any knife edges, so I can't exactly speak from experience here, though perhaps someone (like Rich, the unquestioned expert in such matters) might offer some more substantial advice.
djohns74 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
Being a brand new guitar, it would have an Edge Pro, so yeah, that's another possibility. Though I don't really know how quickly this can become an issue for a new guitar, whereas I have heard that the knife edges can be too thick straight from the factory.

Borgen, the knife edges are nothing more than metal inserts in the bridge which rest up against the posts and essentially provide the surface that the bridge pivots on. All Floyd type bridges will have some kind of surface that rests up against the posts and provides the pivot point, but with the various Ibanez Edges, this surface is a separate metal piece that's inserted into the bridge. You can see it in the pictures on Rich's site, though yeah, they are pretty close up.

Anyway, from what I've heard, these knife edges sometimes come from the factory not "sharp" or "thin" enough and thus don't pivot entirely reliably against the posts, thus the advice to sharpen them slightly and make the edge that contacts the posts thinner and more reliable in terms of tuning stability. I haven't experienced this exact problem myself and have never sharped any knife edges, so I can't exactly speak from experience here, though perhaps someone (like Rich, the unquestioned expert in such matters) might offer some more substantial advice.
Thanks for the info, I understand what you mean now. It's still down at the workshop, I'm thinking about calling the technicians down there and ask them first if they have considered knife edge problemes. Otherwise I guess I have to try to fix it myself, there's not exactly a Floyd Rose expert around every corner here. :P
Borgen is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South West UK
Posts: 953
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

A number of people recommend lubricating (!) the pivot point between the knife edges and the posts. It seems that lip salve (chapstick or similar) gives good results!
You'll need to take the trem off the guitar so you can apply a thin layer to the two contact points.
I'm not sure if medicated or original is best!
Jim
Vim Fuego is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Re: Whammy bar troubles on JEM7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
A number of people recommend lubricating (!) the pivot point between the knife edges and the posts. It seems that lip salve (chapstick or similar) gives good results!
You'll need to take the trem off the guitar so you can apply a thin layer to the two contact points.
I'm not sure if medicated or original is best!
Jim
Yes, I read that too. Well, the guitar is still down at the workshop, but when i get it back I'm gonna remove the tremolo and see if the knife edges are too thick. If they aren't, I'm thinking about just lubricating.
Borgen is offline  
Reply

Tags
edge pro , jem7v , problem , whammy bar

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**** troubles dimefan90 Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 1 04-20-2008 08:50 PM
Ebony JEM7V VS. Rosewood JEM7V f'boards Mario5150 JEM and Universe Guitars 9 07-09-2007 11:33 PM
Amp volume troubles. IbanezPrestigeBoy Gear and Equipment 2 04-08-2006 04:48 PM
Used 93' Jem7V vs Brand New 04' Jem7V V JEM and Universe Guitars 7 10-08-2004 03:10 PM
tab troubles marshall Guitar Lessons & Music Theory 2 11-26-2003 01:50 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome