<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars

J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars Discussion about USA Custom, USRG, American Masters, Prestige and J-Custom Ibanez 6-string Guitars.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 PM

Custom work: vine inlays

Hi folks. I noticed that cottamguitars (a banner site here) offers custom work to modify your neck and add a jem inlay. Are you folks aware of any other company that does the same but that is based in the USA?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:46 PM
(a)

Re: Custom work: vine inlays

SIMS Custom Shop (USA) (not the banner at the top) They are based in TN. I believe.

You can also try www.christopherwoods.com

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 06-22-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpingua
Hi folks. I noticed that cottamguitars (a banner site here) offers custom work to modify your neck and add a jem inlay.
Yeah for £225 lol.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:18 AM

why? what's the going rate for that kind of work over here? i don't even know who else does it.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:25 AM

i havn't bought from them but http://stores.****.com/The-Guitar-Parts-Center

..offers inlay design precut fretboards, precut inlay, and boards already fully inlayed. the guy is a real luthier and seems to be good, i also know the guy who gave him the vine dimensions is a player and builder who knows his stuff and wouldn't have skimped on the dimension accuracy (probably IMO)

if you have a locking nut and want to order a fretboard, i've heard you need to ask for an extended fretboard. it should be extended at the nut because floyd rose guitar boards need a base for the nut

and lemme know how it goes if anyone goes with them, i'm thinking one day i'll buy a preinlayed one and get a luthier to attach it and refret for me

edit- you know what to replace the **** with
Old 06-23-2006, 10:56 AM

I do really wish the admins would reconsider their anti-th**** policy.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfingersminion
why? what's the going rate for that kind of work over here? i don't even know who else does it.
christopherwoods.com

you can get a completely new neck made to your specifications with a vine inlay for $250
Old 06-23-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman
i havn't bought from them but http://stores.****.com/The-Guitar-Parts-Center

..offers inlay design precut fretboards, precut inlay, and boards already fully inlayed. the guy is a real luthier and seems to be good, i also know the guy who gave him the vine dimensions is a player and builder who knows his stuff and wouldn't have skimped on the dimension accuracy (probably IMO)

if you have a locking nut and want to order a fretboard, i've heard you need to ask for an extended fretboard. it should be extended at the nut because floyd rose guitar boards need a base for the nut

and lemme know how it goes if anyone goes with them, i'm thinking one day i'll buy a preinlayed one and get a luthier to attach it and refret for me

edit- you know what to replace the **** with

Some of those fingerboards look very cool. How easy is it to replace a fingerboard, though?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpingua
Hi folks. I noticed that cottamguitars (a banner site here) offers custom work to modify your neck and add a jem inlay. Are you folks aware of any other company that does the same but that is based in the USA?

Thanks.
New site sponsor cool and even in Europe .

Regards

André
Old 06-23-2006, 02:18 PM

My thoughts as well.......I can't imagine it's very easy to remove an old fingerboard.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills
Yeah for £225 lol.
Where's the joke Danny???

Most UK repairers will charge you upwards of £120 for a refret.
So for the extra £105 you get a new fingerboard on your original Ibanez neck and a vine installed. Received back, and ready to bolt on and ROCK.

As with alot of things, in any walk of life, you get what you pay for and if you've seen someone doing it cheaper - Fine, go there and get a cheap job - less attention to detail etc.....
The guys who've had it done by me, have been happy

Max
Old 06-23-2006, 02:44 PM

I think £225 is very reasonable.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeswift
Some of those fingerboards look very cool. How easy is it to replace a fingerboard, though?
well there's tutorials on most of the processes on projectguitar, from that the fretboard removal looks pretty easy, i'd do that myself.

then attaching the new board and sanding the sides down(i think they come with oversize sides so it fits any neck) is tricky so i'd probably get a luthier here to do that and then fret it for me(there's tut's for all that stuff too but i personally am not up to that yet ), then i'd do all the neck conditioning/setup myself,

if any luthiers are here, how much do you think attaching a preinlayed board to a neck with preremoved board and then fretting it would be?

Tags
custom shop, floyd rose, floyd rose guitar, ibanez neck, locking nut, sims custom, sims custom shop

Show/Hide Posting Rules