<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars

J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars Discussion about USA Custom, USRG, American Masters, Prestige and J-Custom Ibanez 6-string Guitars.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:39 PM

how to darken a light rosewood fretboard on my rga121?

Hey, guys. I got my new rga121 today... body looks great, guitar plays great... I like everything about it, except the rosewood fretboard is very, very light colored.. it came from las vegas, nevada.... so, I'm guessing it got pretty dried out there, I'm going to get some kind of lemon oil or fretboard conditioner for it to get some moisture back in the wood, but I don't think that's going to darken it up how I want. honestly, the fretboard looks pretty ugly right now.... so, what should I do? I read about two things people suggested: Watco Danish Oil wood stain/finish that a few luthiers said they used & Fiebings oil stain dye for fretboards from stewmac.com.... have any of you ever done this before? any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited by JoshuaLogan; 03-05-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
(a)

Re: how to darken a light rosewood fretboard on my rga121?

Old English scratch remover is what I use. Follow that up with some Fret Doctor.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:53 PM

Quite a few people use the Fiebings oils dye (it's actually leather dye)with good results.
Most people use it to give the effect of an ebony fretboard.It doesn't really look like ebony up close because the grain structure of rosewood is much more open but it darkens it up a treat.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Old English scratch remover is what I use. Follow that up with some Fret Doctor.
is it just conditioner or will it significantly stain the wood a darker color too? this thing is REALLY light
Old 03-05-2007, 07:58 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLogan View Post
is it just conditioner or will it significantly stain the wood a darker color too? this thing is REALLY light
It is stain, so be mindful what you get it on. I use a Q Tip and just rub between the frets. The more costs, the darker it gets.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:06 PM

thanks, guys. one more question. will these stains cover the inlays too? I actually wouldn't mind if they do (I like the look of fretboards without inlays), but I'm just curious
Old 03-05-2007, 08:15 PM
(a)

Most inlays are plastic and when you apply this, it is wipe on the wipe off. I don't let sit for more than a minute or so, before I wipe down the board with a clean cloth. Scratch remover is a mild stain, so it should not affect the plastic inlays.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
(a)

Stew Mac sells a product called "Black Fingerboard Stain" that people have used to darken rosewood boards. No telling if it's really any better than the more common products mentioned by other posters, though.
Bert
Old 03-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Dont even waste your time with those other dyes and such, just use some Lemon Oil, it will moisturize your fretboard as well as darken it up a good bit. I actually had the same problem with my RGA121TKF when i first got it, the lemon oil did wonders!
Old 03-10-2007, 02:01 PM

Thanks, guys. I did a little research and found out that bore oil is about the best thing you can use on the wood. and the only real options I found were Fret Doctor and Roche Thomas Fretboard Oil. I got the Roche Thomas stuff since it was cheap and supposed to be very good.. even recommended by guys like John Suhr

I think it's going to work well, because I've noticed over the last week that spots on the fretboard have slightly been darkening where I've been playing a lot... I'm guessing some oil on my fingertips got into the board a bit... so if I am seeing a difference from that, I bet the bore oil will work really well... should be here monday I think
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
(a)

Here is the best example of what scratch remover will do for light or bland rosewood. I follow this up with some bore oil or similar.

My brand spankin' new Les Paul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The girls 2006 087.jpg (22.6 KB, 273 views)
Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLogan View Post
Thanks, guys. I did a little research and found out that bore oil is about the best thing you can use on the wood. and the only real options I found were Fret Doctor and Roche Thomas Fretboard Oil. I got the Roche Thomas stuff since it was cheap and supposed to be very good.. even recommended by guys like John Suhr

I think it's going to work well, because I've noticed over the last week that spots on the fretboard have slightly been darkening where I've been playing a lot... I'm guessing some oil on my fingertips got into the board a bit... so if I am seeing a difference from that, I bet the bore oil will work really well... should be here monday I think
Fret Doctor is GREAT stuff. Give it a try sometime. BTW, not to be an ass, but these oils don't "darken" the wood, they merely restore the original colour. A light board is just dry, basically.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Here is the best example of what scratch remover will do for light or bland rosewood. I follow this up with some bore oil or similar.

My brand spankin' new Les Paul.
that looks a lot better imo , i usually keep my rosewood boards soaked in lemon oil but i think i may try that .
Old 03-12-2007, 12:17 AM
(a)

I want to point out that the scratch stain is not a replacement for lemon oil or any other conditioner. I just use it to darken the wood, then use conditioner.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Last edited by Ayrton; 03-12-2007 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added Fret Doctor link
Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Exclamation

Rosewood (which can be several different species of tree) does vary a lot in colour and grain, especially on Ibanez guitars for some reason. A word of warning, use fingerboard oils sparingly and only when necessary, Over use will result in slight loss of tone and sustain, and you'll end up with a fingerboard that gets 'cruddy' very quickly ! The wood will only absorb a tiny amount, any excess should be removed completely.If the wood is still light after an application of lemon oil or equivalent, the only option to permanently darken it is a wood dye/stain, which I know Fender have used in the past to get their 'very red' rosewood fingerboards. Personally I'd live with it.

Tags
ebony fretboard, ibanez guitars, john suhr, jumbo frets, les paul, rosewood board, rosewood boards, rosewood fingerboard, rosewood fretboard, wound strings

Show/Hide Posting Rules