<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars

J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars Discussion about USA Custom, USRG, American Masters, Prestige and J-Custom Ibanez 6-string Guitars.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 PM

Ibanez S Series info

Hey guys, I have a pretty nice guitar i "MIGHT" buy from a good friend. He thinks it's a "Prestige Deluxe" But, I beg to deffer seeings the "Prestige" name is knowhere on the instrument. And, Is only written on the case. I've took some pics of it below. If anyone could help me out and tell me exactly what this guitar is and where it was made i would so appreciate it tremendously... Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00642.JPG (94.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00639.JPG (55.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00641.JPG (43.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM

Re: Ibanez S Series info

It's not a Prestige but a 540LTD model. Damn good guitars those.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:05 PM

540LTD is spot on. Made in Japan. Edge trem. Appears to be original pickups although not sure about the white pickup cover in the middle with the black outlined print. Anyone here know the deal on that?

If its in good shape which from the photos appears to be I'd say go for it if the asking price is within your means. I just recently scored an S myself and I honestly don't like the Sabers but it was too good a deal to pass on. These are only getting better with age and also getting harder and harder to find in decent shape. Some num nuts either got ahold of it and trashed it or those in the know hang on to them because they are simply worth hanging on to.

Best of luck.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM

High end vintage japanese saber, EXCELLENT GUITAR!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 AM

Wow, Thanks a million guys. This guitar is in pretty damn good condition. There are some minor scratches where some yuppy wiped it down with there shirt or a dirty cloth. And it's got some very minor scuffs on the back. Oh, The neck plate on this says "1726 Winchester Rd. Bensalem PA.19020 U.S.A." Do you think that is an After Market neck with neck plate ?
And just so i have an ok idea of how much to pay for this, What would be "THE MOST" any of you would pay for this ? Not trying to offer it off cause i actually love the thing. Thanks so much for answering back everyone. Much much appreciated... Steve

BTW: The single white pickup was deliberately painted that way...
Because the original owner wanted to be different. :P

Last edited by stevem48048; 11-23-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:24 AM

The plate means it was assembled in the US,the parts were shipped from japan broken down.
There are two different US address plates and then of course the made in japan plate.

Same guitar.....just assembly location.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM

i like my "prestige deluxe" cases, too.

rich
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM

How good a friend is he? Depending on fret wear and what not, these typically go from low 300's with a bunch on Ebay in the $599-$699 range. The square heel ones seem to be going for less than the AANJ heeled models. I bought a square heel assembled in PA 540S in DY (like yours minus the LTD sharkfin neck) that's going in for a fret job today. I paid less than $300 for the guitar without a case or whammy bar but it definitely needs a fret level ($100). I tend to look for insanely good deals like everyone else but if I came across my holy grail for that year, and it was in really good condition, I'd pay a premium.

It's really hard to say without seeing the guitar in person and playing it but generally, I think if you're paying between $300 and $400, you're getting a good deal for something that doesn't need any work and the trem is still in good shape. If it were mint or at least in excellent shape with a scratch or two that wasn't noticeable, I'd pay somewhere in the 5's, maybe even $600 for it. When you see the reissues selling for almost $600, the made in Indonesia stuff, the older MIJ guitars are just a no-brainer to me. And they're superior instruments.

If he's offering below $300, jump all over it. Or give me his number
Old 11-23-2012, 07:36 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah i guess the below $300 range is a sweet one for a MIJ high end guitar. Much guitar for little price depending on condition. But this seems to be in ok condition.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Shoot for 3 bills. He if goes for it you did good. The more higher he wants to settle on it will just have to depend how badly you want this thing.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM

Had one...never should have sold it. Had great action and I loved the appearance.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 9

Excellent guitars. Really without a case and no seller fees $300 to $350 would be a good deal for both. $350-$400 or so with the case.

The reality is that you can find these all day for $500 -$600 on eBay, but then you have selling costs and shipping which really takes the seller net profit down to the $400-$500 range. Then there is the worry about it actually arriving safely.

These guitars are the best available in my opinion, I have four. If you like the basic tone qualities and the body and neck shape (try it sitting and standing) I have no doubt this could become your favorite guitar. I am/was an LP guy until I purchased my first indo S. I really liked a lot of things about it, basic neck shape, weight, body shape, basic tone. But it really did not replace my LP's as my go to guitar. Then I purchased a 91 S540 and found something special there. The neck is just sweet. Played with swapping pickups and it started to become the go to guitar. Then I purchased a 97, then a 96, and now a s470 body (that I have special plans for). I had to search a bit for pickups for each as each was a bit different. In the bridge I ended up with a Parallel Axis in the 97, a Custom Custom in the 91, and an F2 with an A5 magnet (very close to a tone zone) in the 96.

These give me the sounds I want, but not quite my ideal sound in my head, close but not perfect. Then I purchased a custom set of Seymour Duncan EVH Frankenstein pickup from MJ and installed in the Indo and changed the neck to a Japan made RG770 reissue. This guitar has all the sound I want. Thick distortion, ton of sustain, evh PAF tone with more push, love it.

One other note, I have installed brass block and various trem stops in each (except for the indo ZR), just because I prefer dive only most of the time (one has a tremol-no). The brass block is a substantial upgrade for the S series because of the thin body. It adds depth, thickness, and sustain for sure.

Tags
ibanez prestige

Show/Hide Posting Rules