Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Installing EMGs in an RGA121

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  #1son 
#1 ·
Could someone tell me if this requires routing the body or if they drop right in?

Thanks

#5 ·
no routings needed, there's room enough for a 9v battery. below is a lefty RG3120 Prestige i put EMGs on, don't mind it's a lefty, it's the same thing, and the RG321's cavity has pretty much the same shape and dimensions.
I didn't mean routing the body for the battery. I know I could make it fit.

I meant routing the body for the pups themselves, which I've been told the front pup cavities have to be enlarged.

Confusing about the active/passive question since I believe the pups are the same size.

#6 ·
ok, i think no pickup cavities routing needed. usually, the pickups on rings have larger cavity than those direct-mounted, especially the "ears" need no cuttings. direct-mount pickups equipped Ibanez usually have triangle-shaped "ears" cavities aloowing for DiMarzio pickups only to fit in there. so, almost any other pickups brand need some work on its ears. as for the cavity depth, usually Ibanez's are enough (except the DiMarzio/IBZ equipped Prestiges which are pretty shallow).

#8 ·
The wings/ears of the pickup itself may require a little bit of chiselling here and there in order for them to fit. Not all the time, but I have definitely heard of people having to do it. No major routing would be need whatsoever, just a little chiselling here and there on either the pickups themselves or the body.

#9 ·
Good, much better to mod the pickup than the guitar!

I read the same thing on this review of the guitar.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/rga121/index.html

On a side note though, if you own this guitar and wish to get active EMGs isntalled you will need a 3-way selector slider, and to route the pick ups a bit. Don't route the pick up hole on the guitar, just take some sand paper and take of a hair's length on the pick ups themselves.

#11 ·
I got an EMG 81/85 set fitted into my RGA121 and yes it did need a bit of routing round the edges of the pickup cavity - also the bottom of it as there was a small piece of wood that raised the v7/8 up. The emgs themself are quite close to the strings because they are so thick but it doesnt really bother me. Will post a pic soon :)

#14 ·
well there's the shape of the tabs on the pickup but then there's the basic depth of the cavity.

i just got an RG770 that had direct-mount dimarzios. that cavities just aren;t deep enough for any pickups other than dimarzios. which bums me because i have a duncan '59/distortion set sitting around.

#15 ·
So if I want EMGs, I have to route out the depth of the pickup cavities and file off the pickup tabs? How much routing are we talking? The wouldn't that make it hard to put the original IBZs back in without some kind of spacer?

Or I could just buy the Matt Bachand signature RGA, which I don't particularly care for the graphics or controls on and is way overpriced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.