J-Custom & Prestige confusion - What makes a J-C a J-C? - Page 12 - Jemsite
J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars Discussion about USA Custom, USRG, American Masters, Prestige and J-Custom Ibanez 6-string Guitars.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 231 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Re: J-Custom & Prestige confusion - What makes a J-C a J-C?

Nothing "bad", but nothing great. You might get better woods on a JC from that era, depending on how upscale the model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 231 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Nothing "bad", but nothing great. You might get better woods on a JC from that era, depending on how upscale the model.
Actually, ive owed a few pre-2000s and thats pretty much my take one them
- i.e. they are comparable to say a 3120 from that period, with perhaps (but not always) a slightly nicer top. I dont know if that's a bad thing, I guess it depends on how much you pay for them. (obviously, some offered appointments like binding, ebony, or different body woods, and that was probably those models raison d'etre)

I certainly wouldnt say they have 'terrible QC' (to me that makes it sound like they are all falling apart), but we're probably just differing over a choice of words.
post #168 of 231 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 PM

Terrible, compared to current. It was a qualified statement
post #169 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:06 PM

i think rich knows about the guitars....and J.c are superiour to a simple rg.but there will be differents in quality i think.ask the people who knows it al..
post #170 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

My computer monitor is being somewhat of a bitch, but that guitar is black, correct?

Either way, I just wanted to say, in reply to this "show me an RG3120 with a J. Custom headstock" debate .... the guitar in this picture could be a one-off type of thing that Ibanez made for a particular store or a limited edition type of thing.

As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I have a black RG3120 that was only made for Guitar Center in Texas back in 1999. I believe there were only ten or fifteen of them made, so they weren't shown in catalogs and you couldn't go order them through just any Ibanez dealer.

I'm not saying that IS the case with the guitar Rich posted because I don't know anything about the guitar, but, if it's true, then it might support Kevan's argument that you'll never find an RG3120 with a J. Custom because, what's really important, is whether they sold them as regular production models, not as one-off, limited edition models.
post #171 of 231 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:48 PM

cool guitar...very nice
post #172 of 231 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Banned

Last edited by Rodney James; 02-01-2008 at 02:21 AM.
post #173 of 231 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney James View Post
Man... that Pink J-Custom with the vine is so killer! Did they ever make one like that without the Edge pro?
What's your problem with the Edge Pro then Mr James ??? It looks great and performs brilliantly ! Nothing touches it IMHO.
post #174 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:17 PM

I got a JC RG21A last year for Xmas. It is used but in mint condition. I will say by far, it is the best I've have ever owned and played. Very well built guitar and sounds great. These are not the best pics, but it's all I have now.

I'm playing thru this

This rig kicks major ass!
post #175 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdover View Post
I got a JC RG21A last year for Xmas. It is used but in mint condition. I will say by far, it is the best I've have ever owned and played. Very well built guitar and sounds great. These are not the best pics, but it's all I have now.

Awesome guitar! That is one of my favorite Ibbys. I played one and have GASsed for it for the past 3-4yrs. I'd ditch many axes out of my possesion to get one of those
post #176 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJazzTerminator View Post
My computer monitor is being somewhat of a bitch, but that guitar is black, correct?
Methinks that's a JCRG 1702, from 1998. I have a similiar one. The color is indeed "black", called SLK (Silky Black). But if you ask me, or anyone else, I would say its more green than black. I've compared pics taken from 1702s in the internet, and they are all more or less green. Doesn't matter, because its still a great guitar, best I've ever owned or played.

Compare to mine (crappy pic taken with my cellphone, sorry):

Hmm. To that "pre-2000s suck" -conversation: Some people even think, that the older ones are better than the ones from 2000+. I haven't played any other JC than the 1702 I have, so I can't compare it to JCs made later. But its still much better to play than my friends' ESPs (Horizons, M-IIs) and such.

Last edited by Myrkrid; 05-08-2008 at 04:55 AM.
post #177 of 231 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 PM

So what is the big issue with Prestige models that changed in 2000??? Why did the quality go down there???
post #178 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:33 AM

Talking Re: J-Custom & Prestige confusion - What makes a J-C a J-C?

only this sjcrg hehhe
http://hotimg3.fotki.com/p/b/116_197...2/j-custom.jpg
post #179 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 03:12 PM

I thought the J customs were more expensive than the prestige models therefore they are not the same level of production. Also the word custom suggests they are a limited run
post #180 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 03:19 PM

Tags
abalone inlays , acoustic guitar , angled jack , cavity cover , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom models , custom shop , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , electric guitar , eric johnson , flame maple , flame maple binding , flamed maple , fret access , fret level , guitar shop , headstock overlay , hoshino usa , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jack socket , maple binding , music store , neck joint , neck pockets , neck thru , neck thru body , paf pro , piezo pickup , piezo pickups , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , production model , rosewood board , signature guitar , stainless steel frets , steel frets , texas prestige , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode