Ibanez JEM Forum banner
19K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  RGTFanatic 
#1 ·
Just got my American Master from Rich :) I sold or traded off all my jem's uv's pgm's and other Ibanezes and was about to go away from Ibanez guitars till I saw this, its every thing I have ever wanted in a guitar the best part is that its neck thru! a neck thru rg is my dream gutiar and this is it. Sustain for hours, and talk about all access. Does any one here have a American Master too? I never here yall talk about them.

Got to go play it some more
Later!  

#4 ·
Just got my American Master

Quote: from Scott Smith on 12:10 am on June 27, 2001

I'll take her off your hands when your done in a few weeks! :)
If you can pry it from my cold, dead, kung fu grip, hands then sure hehe :)
I still think pbk's are the best jems but a jem has nothing on an A.M. ( I like it better then my prs custom 24) and when I swirl it, it will be even better

#6 ·

I mite swirl it. Its blue sparkle right now and has some chips on the edges but nothing bad. I mite just get a red mirrord pickguard for it and a new bridge pickup ( that dimarzio double whammy sounds like pooh) Was that the orginal pickup Rich? cause I think its not "f" spaced maybe thats why that pick up sounds bad. none of the pole picese are near the strings( only on that pickup) I 'm gunna put a duncan jb or another dimarzio in it maybe a paf pro or super distortion.
But I'll never touch the head stock( paint it) or the " Ren and Stempie" sticker on the back!

#7 ·

I take it back that is an "f" spaced bucker in the bridge. Thats weird how the poles don't line up on the strings. and I will not be changeing that pickup out ( even if I want to) because that control cavity is crazy. ( did you peek inside it Rich?) pots I have never seen before and the way its wired is very complex. I'll just have to bust out my eq pedal so I can get some more bass out of it. Now I can't wate till my Ibanez Usa Custom comes in. :rotf:

(Edited by jem7pbk at 2:47 am on June 27, 2001)

#8 ·

Looked original, but I didn't get any 'history' with it. Didin't peak inside, but I'm still trying to figure out where this loose wire goes in the USA, guess I better stop putting it off!! It'll be my project for today.

#9 ·

Scott (Vwall) Is the other AM owner. He has had a couple of them. The last time we had a Mini-Texas-Jemfest there were many guitars there. We all agreed the AM was the best playing and nicest sounding guitar present. No kidding... It is truly an awesome guitar… and the top on that thing has to be at least a half inch thick.

#12 ·

I was a little toasty that night. :) Gabe's home is the perfect bachelor/jam pad. Most of the house is empty. Everything is in the game room and the computer room… including a refrigerator… that's stocked full. :) He must spend all his time up there with all the gear. Even his TV is in there.

#13 ·

I am in terminal lurk mode on this board but I had to post. I own 4 (yes, four) MA3s, better known as mahogany/block American Masters. I emphatically implore you to please not swirl this guitar. If you have your heart set on swirling it, I will trade you one of my cherry burst ones for it.

Later, Rich

"but I often wonder what could have been
...and I still dream of running away"
- Fates Warning, A Pleasant Shade of Gray

http://www.richhorner.com - the work of a machine

#14 ·

How is the back of the neck finished on the American Masters considering they are neck thru?

That is the only thing I don't like about the neck thru soloists - the neck is finished with paint. I prefer the natural feel of a neck.

Rich - Fates Warning rules!

#22 ·
There used to be a page here on this site about them, but I can't find it anymore. Might still be here but buried.

They were only made 1 year (though 2 different models were released in 2 consecutive years) and made by 2 small american luthiers (a different one for MA1s vs. MA 2s and MA3s) to Ibanez specs. Apparently 1) it wasn't cost effective for Ibanez, 2) the small luthiers couldnt keep up with demand, in any case, they were discontinued after one year each. I've heard various claims about the names of the luthiers that actually made them. Googling those names yields squat except the references to those names here. I doubt Ibanez farmed these out to someone no one has heard of before or since. Probably only Ibanez knows for sure, and they arent telling.

There were very few made. I've heard various estimates, but never heard anyone claim that more than 100 of each model were produced.

What sets them apart is they are handmade USA instruments and it shows in the quality. They also used very good wood. For example, the highly figured birdseye neck on my MA3 is very stable, and that guitar is strung 12-56 at standard pitch, almost never needing a truss rod adjustment for seasonal changes like nearly every other guitar. From what I understand, they also used Honduras Mahogany (i.e. real mahogany) not the bull**** fake mahogany (khaya, agathis, etc) that most guitar companies call 'mahogany' nowadays. I could go off on a rant about that practice alone..

In any case, having owned RGs, JEMS, RGTs, etc, I can tell you flat out, none of those has the playability or quality of the American Masters. Its something you can feel and hear. There is no 'super strat' style guitar ever made, by any company, that I'd take 2 of in trade for my MA1.

#25 ·
Ha I didnt even noticed the date on the previous post. Thats weird though, because the only reason I replied was it was near the top of the forum when I glanced at the topics.
Heh, this is interesting. Yours truly, Mr. Forum Detective, is always wondering how the hell people resurrect these old posts. I've never seen it happen as much as it happens on Jemsite. Others have suggested people are clicking on the tags and reading old posts. That doesn't hold water vs. what you're describing.

Do you sort the forum by number of replies or views? Default would be by last post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.