<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars

J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars Discussion about USA Custom, USRG, American Masters, Prestige and J-Custom Ibanez 6-string Guitars.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Re: NGD--Premium RG920QM

"I forgot how to read Kanji a long time ago"

Best line of the review
Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post
"I forgot how to read Kanji a long time ago"

Best line of the review
What--you didn't like the Jawa bit??? I actually did learn how to read Kanji when I was stationed in Japan from 1991-1994. Did you see the little wind-up Godzilla on top of the Epiphone Valve Jr. head? The bigger version is on top of my Legacy head. My daughter HAS to have the same guitar and accessories that I do (RG-570PN, tube amp head, modified Boss DS-1, and a Godzilla--Daddys girl 1,000,000%. I also learned Hangul (Korean)--which I actually found easier.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 PM

Reviews: 11

pretty cool, you have up the ONLY vids of this guitar on youtube.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
pretty cool, you have up the ONLY vids of this guitar on youtube.
Yep! Even some of the guys at Ibanez are pretty jazzed about that review and brand exposure. Wait until you guys see the new review coming! I've got the audio tracking sync issue worked out, and will be reviewing an Electric Ear-Candy modded Boss DS-1 that blows all of the others away...including the Keeley ASE/Ultra...
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 PM

Excellent review on the 920! I'm definitely sold on them now...Although I just got my hands on a 90' Uni so.....These will have to wait a bit longer!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 PM

Reviews: 21

Excellent review! Ultimately I'll have to play one myself but it looks like the real McCoy. Looks to be essentially a Prestige neck, complete with volute, with the shorter 400mm radius. Thank goodness they screwed the nut down from the front like the Prestige.
The Prestige like (mother of pearl?) "Ibanez" lettering with the checkmark is the dogs nuts! I always thought that's how the prestige logo should look.
It might be a smaller detail but I didn't see a close up of the input jack. It looks like they did the right thing and used the MIJ style inset jack rather than the screw applied Indo version. It might seem like a little thing but if you're playing live and your input jack is sketchy then it is a big deal. It's also usually the first place an evil buzz would occur but this one sounds pretty sweet.
The pickups DO sound pretty good. EZ2 looks like a definite step up from Edge 3. It looks like its a major plus that its going on all other Indo's too. Who cares if you have to screw the bar in as long as it works!
I'd have to disagree on the cosmo black if you're referring to powder cosmo. Cosmo black isn't bad and actually stays on an instrument well. If you were referring to powder cosmo... well that's the greatest sin perpetrated on the music buying public if you ask me. Hopefully Ibanez didn't skimp on the hardware finish.
Well done, AlaskaBat!
Great playing too!
And nice green lantern shirt!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Takin' a Ride  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Ahh the elusive USRG30. I still want one. Had a shot a few months ago at one and a car accident derailed me..
Quite honestly I'd skip the USRG30. I owned a BT one for years and while I owned it, I thought it was the be all end all of Ibanez guitars. I stopped playing for a number of years so I sold it. Now that I've owned a variety of different Ibanez guitars since then, I can tell you that the USRG30 was not great. The neck was a nightmare, out of adjustment constantly. The out-of-the-box setup was terrible as well. I eventually had a professional level all the frets and that fixed it, but before that it had dead frets all over the place. Also, the supposed AAA quilted maple top was really nothing special and honestly looked way less nice than the 920QM . You be the judge:

Jack Secret owned a Bunker Trekker Custom, which is basically the same guitar with the same odd neck. He had the exact same issues with his.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

That's good advice, Jesse--I've almost pulled the trigger on a few purple ones. I'll steer clear from now on, plus this 920 is just friggin' amazing anyway!

@Mike--the jack is the barrel type like on the vintage 550s, 570s, etc. As far as the cosmo, I've never had a problem since I always wipe the trem down and do scheduled cleanings every other month. But, I hear folks complaining about corrosion, wear, and pitting on cosmo more than any other finish--that's why I threw that in there. You like the Green Lantern shirt? I should've worn a power ring with it. I think I'll wear a superhero shirt for all future video reviews--that'll be my niche. Maybe I'll wear my full Batman suit for a review--that would be worth a laugh! Tell you what--I'll wear my Superman shirt for the Electric Ear-Candy DS-1 review this weekend. I'm sleeping at the hospital tonight (I'm there right now) for my sleep disorder test, so I'll have to do the review tomorrow.
To Rich, whom I know is reading this--I ate my "breakfast" tonight with a second serving.
If I can't sleep, I'll check in with you fellas throughout the rest of the evening to break the bboredom--I've got about 10 channels available on the TV, and nothing on. Good thing I brought some comic books with me...
Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Takin' a Ride  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
As far as the cosmo, I've never had a problem since I always wipe the trem down and do scheduled cleanings every other month. But, I hear folks complaining about corrosion, wear, and pitting on cosmo more than any other finish--that's why I threw that in there.
To add to that, the picture of the USRG30 above was taken in 2004 and the cosmo LoPro was 100% mint. Not a single pimple and at worst some polishing of the E and A saddles. I bought that guitar in 1997 for $500 if you can believe that, after it had sat around a Guitar Center unsold for over a year. Someone had put down a deposit on it and never picked it up or asked for the deposit back. It played absolutely terrible due to the aforementioned awful frets, poor setup and crazy neck, which is probably why it never sold. So back to the point, I played the guitar a lot for five years before I took a hiatus from playing and the trem still looked mint.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Reviews: 21

Yeah, there's probably a reason Ibanez ended their relationship with the people who made the USRG. I don't know the inside baseball, but it seems if Ibanez ever ventured to make a new USRG it would have to follow the Toyota model; Hoshino's way or no way at all.
It's kind of cool how the new 820 seems to tip it's hat to the much loved aesthetics of that model, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Indo-made version is, ultimately, a better guitar.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Sweet! I just saw these in the sweetwater catalogue. Gassing hard for one. It looks ALOT like the USRG30 i used to own.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Takin' a Ride  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Yeah, there's probably a reason Ibanez ended their relationship with the people who made the USRG.
The story goes that some Japanese Ibanez exec came to the US and got a hold of a USRG and immediately pulled the plug on the whole line.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The story goes that some Japanese Ibanez exec came to the US and got a hold of a USRG and immediately pulled the plug on the whole line.
I guess the Ibanez exec wasn't tension free like the neck on that thing....
Old 03-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Frustratingly, it looks like the Canadian market versions of these will have the middle single coil...
And different humbuckers altogether (CAP-something-or-other)
... and the blue one is missing from the lineup.
Hmmm.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Takin' a Ride  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I guess the Ibanez exec wasn't tension free like the neck on that thing....

Tags
premium, rg920qm

You may also search for:

Show/Hide Posting Rules