Ibanez JEM Forum banner
6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  6828 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I recently pickup the sweetest looking Prestige guitar. It is a 99' RG Prestige with bookmatched heavily quilted maple top and matching headstock with a light violet stain. The body is double bound with white perloid binding on the outside, then a 3/16th" band of Abalone inlay inside of the white. It is truely stunning! Also, has white perloid binding on the neck and around headstock.

Questions:
What is the model number?
Is this a custom ordered guitar or a Limited Edition? Never saw abalone binding on body before.
What was the List price on this guitar? I was told $3200 by seller.
Can anyone refer me to a catalog with the specs for this guitar.

Any help will be appreciated.
TL

#4 ·
Thanks Greg.

I think we've nailed it here.
RGPR2 - purple quilt, hum-sing-hum, Dimarzio pickups in cream(mine are black), Cosmo hardware, Lo-Pro Edge, pearl binding, abalone trim, ebony board

So, the 12 GC stores in Texas all got one each of the 3 types you
described? RGPR1, RGPR2, AND RGPR3. Is this correct?

I just traded a 1978' Gibson The Paul" for this guitar at the Ft.Worth Guitar Show 2 weeks ago. When the guy opened the case I thought my eyes were going to pop out! I've had a facination with Ibanez guitars now for about two years now, both vintage and modern. This RGPR2 is over the top. The guys I got it from were cowboy types and thought it was too freaky and wanted to trade it for something more mundane. I was more than happy to oblige them.

I'm not sure how to post pictures here. Can I get some help.

Thanks a bunch.
TL

#5 ·
TL,

Greg does know those guitars well. I've bought two of them from him! :)

They're my favorite guitars, and my wife is very pleased with the purchase because it settled me down after years of getting guitar after guitar, looking for the right combination. These two have lasted much longer than anything before them.

Besides the look, which is pretty stunning, almost overwhelming, the tone is very versatile. I'm very happy with the in-between pickup positions for strat tones, and I've played jazz gigs with them using the neck pickup, and of course they can rock!

It's surprising that those continue to turn up in Texas. I thought they had all made their way out to the rest of the country. They must be migrating back to their original home. :wink:

Bill

#6 ·
TL, "cream" pups was a typo, they were black on the purple one. I saw that there was a FW show but didn't make it, although I usually try to get to the Dallas and Arlington shows. Not sure about the numbers & distribution...all I've seen or heard of were in TX, except one I saw sell from the east coast. I believe you'll need to host pics on your own site, or load them into an online album. Used to be able to here, but space is limited.

Hey Bill!...glad you still like those...I still have my natural one, and probably always will (unfortunately has not stopped the ebb and flow of instruments). Right now a JPM 90th is making a move for first place, but not quite there. ;)
Greg

#7 ·
Greg,
What is the value of this guitar? Low to high$.

PS:
Here's a list of guitars in my Ibanez collection.
88' USA RG (black guard, h-s-h, red refin)
90' USA RG 550
91' JEM BFP
98' JS100 (black)
99' JS1000 (white)
99' RGPR2 (light purple AAA quilt maple)

May buy a RBM1 this weekend. (Reb Beach) (candy apple red)
Tommorrow I'm ooking at an 88' USA Sabre with h-s-s and 3 switches.

Thanks again!
TL Eldridge
I live in Rowlett, TX are you relatively close to me.
Maybe we could meet sometime at a mutual location.
Could start an "Ibanez Collectors Club of Texas"? LOL

#9 ·
Good job finding the RGPR2! I had given up my search of finding one, so if you ever want to sell yours......
When Greg first posted the picture of his RGPR1, I knew I had to have one and was lucky enough to find one quickly. Then he informed me of the 2 & 3, curse you Greg!

#10 ·
TL- Hard to say on value since there have not been that many around. They had an original list that was higher than almost any Ibanez, and due the their rarity and unique features, they should always bring a premium.

Some fellow Jemsiters have met a few times in Houston...if you look through the posts in the Jemfest forum you'll see. Unfortunately I've never made it down there. Yes, perhaps we can meet sometime.

Tony- Due to limited space in that yahoo album, I no longer have those pics posted, but when I have a chance in the next couple days I'll post a few pics of the three models.

big al- I'm sorry, but I'm actually a victim too. When I saw these hanging seductively on the walls of GC, I fell prey to their overwhelming charm. I had no choice but pass along the curse. ;)
Greg

#14 ·
That RG-PR3 is incredible, I had not seen a picture of it in a long time. I think I like it even more than my JCRG-3VV (otherwise known as one of the only other non-JPM100 H-H RG's with a bound neck and offset dots). I hope I can find one of those someday or that Ibanez will make something like it in the near future.

#15 ·
ATTENTION!!!!!
A few people metioned they were looKing for RG1 and 2's. Now I get the model numbers confused but a store in my town has ONE OF EACH......BRAND NEW!!!!!! One's the quilted purple with Roland Midid Pickup and the other is the same but has a chambered body. I'm sure they would be happy for some one to buy them up. I know I have wanted to a number of times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.