<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars

J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars Discussion about USA Custom, USRG, American Masters, Prestige and J-Custom Ibanez 6-string Guitars.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

Re: RGA121 users....man...hate to say it but...

Here's a goofy question, but sometimes the simple can be the cause. Are you absolutely sure the solder joints are solid and no rogue wires? Also, have you played with pickup hight?

Very cool rig you got there.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:03 AM
(a)

Reviews: 18

Have you also triedx putting in new pots? That might be the cause as well.

Jimmy
Old 11-03-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Here's a goofy question, but sometimes the simple can be the cause. Are you absolutely sure the solder joints are solid and no rogue wires? Also, have you played with pickup hight?

Very cool rig you got there.

Oh yeah...I had them installed by someone who's very very good...same guy who set it up. Guy is a pro.

Thanks, been over 10 years in the making. Love those cabs....they look small but they pack a wallop. They're the mesa thiele 1x12 cabs with EV evm12Ls(originals)....can you say LOW END...those cabs sound smooth....
make vintage 30's sound like a buzz saw.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Have you also triedx putting in new pots? That might be the cause as well.

Jimmy

The pots are as new as the guitar....they work great.....I think I'm just spoiled by the tone of my old rg550 with az/pafjoe combo....in that guitar those pickups really shine. The wood combo, maple board and those pickups are really special IMO. I wish I could have got one of the 20ths to add to my collection.

I'll probably try some Suhr pickups....something very nice. I'd go dual EMG85s if I didn't have to remove some wood to do it.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:01 PM

I've got a custom Suhr coming in a couple of days John (mahogany/maple top carved top) with a JST DSV neck and a JST DSH+ in the bridge, I'll be posting up some clips when it gets here so maybe take a look in there.

If I'm not keen on them I'm gonna try out a Breed in the neck I think, although I'm sure they'll be pretty decent - same pups in Guthire Govan's main Suhr standard and his tone is gorgeous.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:10 PM
(a)

I have always loved the look of a stained or natural finish guitar. Nice one dude.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 PM
(a)

...mmm Mesa amps...a good day.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post

I have always loved the look of a stained or natural finish guitar. Nice one dude.
Thanks....I think I got lucky on this one...it's one of the nicest tops I've seen on the rga121s...has a bit of flame which is not common for the rgas...not to mention this guitar has really great action and tension and I could go lower(it's already lower than my rg which plays like butta)
Old 11-04-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Aaron View Post
...mmm Mesa amps...a good day.

Oh yeah mesa 2:90 and thieles with evs!!! The real prize is the preamp(suhr upgraded CAA 3+SE preamp with transformer, voltage, crosstalk and blackface mods!)
Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
My RGA, and RGA121H CDO (ALL mahogany), sounded poor with the V8 (the V7 was alright). Even though it had plenty of power, it was too muddy on the low E-string, and lacked the tonal charactor that I was looking for.

I had a Mo'-Joe/PAF-Joe combo in there, and while it seemed like that there was a drop in power, the clarity and tone was there in spades. I currently have a Super/Super II combo in there, and they roar!! I find that the Super 2 is well suited to mahogany guitars, I also had it in a Korean Dean Z.

Cheers
Too me, that would seem like the best choice as well. The RGA is a bit on the bright side compared to a standard RG because of the thick maple top and thin body. It needs a pickup with less top end and more output to compensate for less body mass.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfergel View Post
Too me, that would seem like the best choice as well. The RGA is a bit on the bright side compared to a standard RG because of the thick maple top and thin body. It needs a pickup with less top end and more output to compensate for less body mass.
The/my RGA121H (as opposed to the regular RGA121), has no maple top. The two "shiny" models (blue and pink) are all-mahogany, and man they sound THICK because of the absence of maple. Kinda like a Gibson SG.

Cheers
Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 AM

I have an RGA 121 NTf, moded it pretty significantly. Floyd floating, custom nut to accept larger strings, series/parrallel wiring, rpelaced to 3-way with push/pull, plex'd. I have run this rig in everything from Evo, Breed, TZ/AN, Bareknuckle CWP matched set, Decimator, SH-10 (Full Shred) TB-12 (Screamin Demon), Miracle Man HB, WDM Custom/Custom (diMartini bridge), and so on. Of all of the pickups I have tried, I enjoyed the Suhr SST/JST combo the best. Just had that musical mix. All the others were good, not great. Evo was a 2nd runner up, but I'm not into DiMarzio's tbh. 3rd runner up is the SH-10 Full Shred Neck + whatever higher gain PU in the bridge.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoTragedy View Post
I have an RGA 121 NTf, moded it pretty significantly. Floyd floating, custom nut to accept larger strings, series/parrallel wiring, rpelaced to 3-way with push/pull, plex'd. I have run this rig in everything from Evo, Breed, TZ/AN, Bareknuckle CWP matched set, Decimator, SH-10 (Full Shred) TB-12 (Screamin Demon), Miracle Man HB, WDM Custom/Custom (diMartini bridge), and so on. Of all of the pickups I have tried, I enjoyed the Suhr SST/JST combo the best. Just had that musical mix. All the others were good, not great. Evo was a 2nd runner up, but I'm not into DiMarzio's tbh. 3rd runner up is the SH-10 Full Shred Neck + whatever higher gain PU in the bridge.

Hope this helps.
Awesome stuff man, could you maybe work your necromantic magic on the t.v show "Harvey Birdman"? I really liked it and would be stoked if you bought it back form the dead too...

Rock on!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:53 PM

yeah i don't know whats happening here lately with the resurrecting and all, maybe they should bolden the date
Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 PM

well, it does show that people are using the search function. that is always a good thing!

rich

Tags
air norton, alder body, duncan designed, fixed bridge, mahogany guitars, maple fret, maple fretboard, mesa amps, neck pickup, paf joe, pickup combo, playing guitar, rosewood board, seymour duncan, sounding guitar, suhr standard, tone zone

Show/Hide Posting Rules