Ibanez JEM Forum banner
15K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Mister CCJ 
#1 ·
My USA Custom definitely has a Wizard Neck Profile - comparison with my JEM leaves no doubt. However, with binding, offset dot inlay and a poly finish, it's not exactly a typical Wizard neck. Also, though the headstock clearly says "USA Custom" the serial number is "F135656", which suggests Fujigen Gakki. And this neck looks identical to the "Super Wizard" neck on the RG1200 on the Ibanez Japan site...

Does anyone know if the USA guitars were fully constructed here? or were some or all of the parts (like the necks) made in Japan and shipped to the US for assembly? Either way, it's a wonderful guitar, and I'm getting on fine with the neck despite my earlier misgivings about the super-thin Wizard profile...

#3 ·
The Super Wizard Neck ???

Something like that - but we still call the Wizard the Wizard and the Wizard 2 the Wizard 2!!!

I "think" that we call the Wizard ones with the Bubinga reinforcement stripe "Super Wizard" and those that are just maple, "Wizard". We also get "Prestige Wizard" on things like thr RG3120!

The Wizard and super Wizard have the same profile but the Wizard 2 (or II) is the profile that is slightly (2mm?) deeper.

(Edited by jono at 10:41 am on Dec. 24, 2000)

#5 ·

Here's my simple take on the "Which Wizard Neck Do I Have" situation:

Wizard: The standard nice thin neck.
Wizard 2: Same as above, but with volute (the "bump" behind the nut).
Super Wizard: Wizard neck with bubinga stripe (aka: Prestige Wizard).

Now, the above is only theory.
Although both spec sheets say "Original Wizard", my RG-ART has a volute and my RG-GEAR does not.

#6 ·

Well... I just came off the Ibanez USA site and my USA Custom neck LOOKS just like the one on the RG3120 Prestige model, except that the 3120's may not be bound. It's just maple (no skunk stripe - I guess it predates the bubinga strip) and no volute, so I guess it's a "Wizard". I would prefer the deeper Wizard II or JEM profile, but I'm not having as much trouble with this profile as I originally thought I might... I guess I'm finally playing with a lighter touch :cool:

Jimm ~ I can see them finishing and assembling the USA Customs from Japanese made parts, but I can't see them finishing Japanese parts in the US, then shipping them back to Japan for manufacture, and then returning them to the States for sale: the shipping costs would be outrageous! :)

#9 ·

The Prestige necks don't have the bubinga stripe. The Wizard 2 is 19 mm at the first fret and 21 or 20 mm at the 12th, like the JEM, but with a rounder radius.

The 3120 neck is not bound.

Every Prestige I've seen has had a volute. Most of the J Customs I've seen have one too.

#10 ·

Not surprising, I've been corrected. This info comes courtesy of GE Jones (former Jemsite.com Forum RG Expert):

•Wizard - Standard Wizard neck found on RG 5xx and up, with or without Bubinga stripe, with or without maple fingerboard.

•Wizard II - Neck found on RG 2xx - 4xx. Same PROFILE as the Wizard, but same DIMENSIONS as the Jem ( a tad thicker). To me [GE], the best Ibanez neck, period.

•"Super Wizard" - Wizard neck found on J-Custom guitars, hand-finished, different construction, same profile and dimensions as the regular Wizard. [these have the volute behind the nut]

#11 ·

So then, it's settled; 'tis a Wizard neck for certain. Feels like one, looks like one, smells like one... (oh, wait a minute... :) I've never seen one finished like this - the fingerboard and binding remind me of the Petrucci models. Still, it's a great neck, though a touch thinner than I usually like. Thanks to all for the great response. :biggrin:

#12 ·

Quote: from Kevan on 3:38 pm on Dec. 26, 2000
Not surprising, I've been corrected. This info comes courtesy of GE Jones (former Jemsite.com Forum RG Expert):

•Wizard - Standard Wizard neck found on RG 5xx and up, with or without Bubinga stripe, with or without maple fingerboard.

•Wizard II - Neck found on RG 2xx - 4xx. Same PROFILE as the Wizard, but same DIMENSIONS as the Jem ( a tad thicker). To me [GE], the best Ibanez neck, period.

•"Super Wizard" - Wizard neck found on J-Custom guitars, hand-finished, different construction, same profile and dimensions as the regular Wizard. [these have the volute behind the nut]
My 1999 and 2000 catalogues note the JEM7D (and some of our european RGs) as having a super wizard neck and the ones I've seen have novolute - The only necks that I have encountered with a volute have been those "Prestige Wizard" necks found on the RG 3120. The mystery continues!!!

Maybe the definitions differ depending on which side of the atlantic you're on ;) ?!?!?

However the I DO agree with the dimensions GE said, so that's a start:)

#13 ·

I have a USA Custom Exotic Wood with a slightly thicker neck than the normal wizard found on the Rg 5xx and up but has no volute and no skunk stripe.... Feels more like a jem neck than anything else.....

Theres another spanner in the works.............

#14 ·

Spiro ~ I was wondering what the fretboard looks like on your guitar. Dot inlay? Off set dots? Block inlay? Is it bound? Inquiring minds want to know... not that it means anything - mine has the same fretboard as the Petrucci model, and his sig guitar has a Viper neck. Rhyme? Reason? Who needs 'em?!?
:confused:

(Edited by Jimi D at 9:41 pm on Jan. 1, 2001)

#16 ·

I don't think the volutes started popping up till the J Customs. It sounds like you have the Ultra neck, spiro. Same dimensions as the Wizard 2, which, btw, is the same thickness as a JEM neck, but has a rounder radius. The JEM and the Wizard both have the same radius, but the Wizard is the thinnest of them all. There is one exception to the Wizards being on the 5xx and up. The 570 CT, which happens to have the Wizard 2.

#17 ·

Quote: from Jimi D on 9:16 am on Dec. 24, 2000
My USA Custom definitely has a Wizard Neck Profile - comparison with my JEM leaves no doubt. However, with binding, offset dot inlay and a poly finish, it's not exactly a typical Wizard neck. Also, though the headstock clearly says "USA Custom" the serial number is "F135656", which suggests Fujigen Gakki. And this neck looks identical to the "Super Wizard" neck on the RG1200 on the Ibanez Japan site...

Does anyone know if the USA guitars were fully constructed here? or were some or all of the parts (like the necks) made in Japan and shipped to the US for assembly? Either way, it's a wonderful guitar, and I'm getting on fine with the neck despite my earlier misgivings about the super-thin Wizard profile...
OK, I'm soon putting up a USA Custom "history" and "spec sheet". It might be up this week in fact.

The USRGs were made by PBC Guitars in PA, USA for Ibanez, featuring the tension-free neck. The other " USA Customs" were made by the Ibanez Custom Shop and/or outside luthiers (much like the USRG was). This includes the Graphic Series, USA Custom Exotic Woods, American Masters, etc over several years.

You'll see the full specs for these models, with neck dimensions where available. It's not so cut and dry when you figure out the lot of them were built by several factories/luthiers. Forget what the neck plate and serial numbers say. Stay tuned... glen

#18 ·

yes yes yes yes YES! Facts, figures, history, specs... I love this site! I've plumbed all my Ibanez catalogs and can't find a measurement on the PBC neck anywhere! Not thickness, not width, not radius, nothin'! Jemsite's cool :cool:

#19 ·

Even more mystery....

I was just visiting the best official Ibanez site...the japanese one. There i was amazed to see an RG770FM that came with, guess what?

No.

This time it's a Wizard IV neck. Yes, IV as in 4.

I shall take a smoke and try to clear my mind... :cool:

Maybe someone at ibanez should do the same.

#20 ·

okay... here is my deal with the usa customs...

my rep at Ibanez used to be a fellow named Bill Cuminsky.... My first Guitar from Ibanez was a USA Custom.....

Bill informed me that the neck was called The Ultra Neck.
It is not made anymore.... In my opinion... this neck was formed into the neck that is on the Petrucci Models...
If you do your research.... the necks are almost the same but they John did a couple of minor shape changes.....

The USA Customs with the tension free neck are also the same shape as the Ultra, but with that metal thing in the headstock etc....

Rob

#21 ·

Kirk, I'm with you, the Wizard II is my fave not JEM neck also. Very smooth thin radius, but not as skinny as the Wizard. I like this place. Only on jemsite would there be folks other than me who know which neck has a nicer feel to them when they vary only by 2 mm :)

#22 ·

I have an old RG, a new RG and my USRG 30. The neck on the USRG is not even close to a wizard IMO. Definately not as flat and is a little more of a challange(more curve) as the neck wraps to the fingerboard.
It's almost impossible to describe but the neck feels harder. Really. It's not the finish because all my necks are stripped. It seems easier for me to go from the USRG to the Wizard than the Wizard to the USRG.
I know that probably doesn't help, but I had to try.
KO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.