*MORE NEW PICS* My custom-made JS-shaped guitar...amazing! - Jemsite
JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars Discussion about JS (Joe Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

*MORE NEW PICS* My custom-made JS-shaped guitar...amazing!

Hi guys,

I just thought I'd share my joy with you. One of Germany's best luthiers, Rainer Tausch, made a fantastic custom axe for me.

click here for a closeup

Its body shape is an exact replica of my favourite Radius/JS shape and it features a massive 1-piece maple cap on a 1-piece basswood base. It has a flame maple neck with a quilt maple fretboard and a "small Strat" 4/2 headstock.

The woods for body cap, fretboard and headstock overlay were cut from the same piece.

Electronics are the same as on the god old 1992/1993 JS1 model, that is HSH Fred/HS-2/PAF Pro with a Split-5 wiring, one volume pot with switchable highpass capacitor and one tone pot.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:15 AM

Very nice indeed!! I bet you love it!!

The neck is beautiful, the body is beautiful too! Congrats.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:43 AM

oh dear god thats amazing the neck joint is pure wonderfullness.

how much was it and how the hell do i get one lol??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:34 AM

That is a BEAUTIFUL guitar. The neck on that thing looks good enough to eat.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:58 AM

Holy crap, that's beautiful. The headstock doesn't look quite right on it to my eye, but man... what a gorgeous top and neck!

How is the neck joined to the body? Is it glued in? (Sort of a set/thru design?)

I've been thinking about doing a split top/back combination on a JS-style body and that's exactly how i imagined it would be done... thanks for showing us that it's possible and looks fantastic!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Holy crap, that's beautiful. The headstock doesn't look quite right on it to my eye
*lol* I expected a comment like that. But it's intentional, I wanted a very tiny 4/2 headstock that doesn't look too much like Music Man. So I went for this downscaled Strat shape.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:43 AM

Stunning!!! How does the tone compare to a JS? Must be a bit brighter with all that maple?
Greg
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarrero
*lol* I expected a comment like that. But it's intentional, I wanted a very tiny 4/2 headstock that doesn't look too much like Music Man. So I went for this downscaled Strat shape.
I just meant it looks very small and out of proportion to the size of the body.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just meant it looks very small and out of proportion to the size of the body.
I was aware of that; but wanted it anyway. That makes the overall design a little special and not just a knock-off. And the headstock looks much better than this one IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkelm
Stunning!!! How does the tone compare to a JS? Must be a bit brighter with all that maple?
It's not as harsh as you might expect from this whole lot of maple. The glued in neck construction provides enough warmth to compensate the brightness, and overall it sounds incredibly balanced with in-your-face attack and lots of sustain.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
How is the neck joined to the body? Is it glued in? (Sort of a set/thru design?)
It's glued in, the neck base itself stretches almost all the way under the neck pickup!
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 03:23 PM

amazing! nice pics!
how much did ya pay for it?
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:12 PM

wow, congradulations

how much! ?
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:32 PM

a-ma-zing!!
i just dont like the headstock, and the neck is too grey
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Hi all,

thanks for your kind words about my "baby".

If you're interested, check out the "making of" section on my website, I took a couple of workshop snapshots during the process. For example this was the piece of wood that was used for the top, the fretboard and the headstock overlay.

I'm constantly asked about the price I paid. Rainer Tausch's regular non-custom guitars price range is from EUR 2,875.00 to EUR 4,800.00. That should give you a rough idea.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 09:39 AM

OMG! well... if i ever have the money........

Tags
beautiful guitar , body shape , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , darren wilson , flame maple , flame maple neck , headstock overlay , john suhr , local luthier , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck pickup , paf pro , reversed headstock , truss rod , truss rod cover , tung oil , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode