Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JS20th - 3D Inlay Discoloration / Haziness

Tags
js20th
4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sinnetor 
#1 ·
So I picked up a JS20th last week. I always thought the guitar was cool, just not the price tag. This one was sold as "used." The guitar looks brand new, but the 3D inlay is starting to discolor - the whole bottom leg and all across the top edge. Basically it's getting hazy and has lost the super shiny factory finish.

The store I bought it from checked with Hoshino and they said this is a problem with these guitars. As this seems like a great place for all things Ibanez, I'm wondering if people around here have seen the same problem. I still have a few days to return it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was told that polishing would probably take off the thin finish. I'm guessing the inlay is a thin layer of silver? The chrome pickup rings are still nice and shiny...

BTW, I'm a first time caller, but have lurked around occasionally here.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I tried the "Nevr-Dull non-abrasive cleaner for all metals" and it didn't help at all. In my own stupidity, I rubbed off a little of the finish. It looks like underneath is a black plastic. At least my dumbassery might be able to help some other people. As eviltwin mentioned, the finish might be acrylic, so I might try some different cleaners, seeing as I already screwed things up. At least the guitar can be played now without any worries...

#5 · (Edited)
I do have a Js20th. I to have the same issue when I first got the guitar. It looks like discolored faded or something.
But someone told me it was design like that they didnt make it too shiny like the JS10th cause they had problem with the 10th annv for it being scratch easily, rubbed off easily and being chipped so often. Looks like they used a soft type paint or something.

I checked some of the JS20th in store but mostly on the net and the people that own it, and they told me that they dont look glossy or shinny.
Yes, it does look blemished they made it this way because that area should be durable for scratches from guitar pick etc. Otherwise, it may peel off easily.

Well I felt a little better knowing that all JS20th are like this.
You shouldnt try to rub it more cause it'll ruin the finish.

Thanks

#7 ·
I thought I'd revive this thread.

I have two 20ths right now. On one, the Silver Surfer is definitely silver. He's a little bit dulled, but he's unmistakably silver.

On the other, he's a bit shinier and glossy, but he's also got a more gold-colored hue depending on the light.

I don't really know which guitar is more "correct", and I suppose it's simply a matter of preference which look one prefers. I did notice, though, that the 20th on display at NAMM years ago (pics courtesy of Ibanez rules, of course!) was very shiny *and* very silver.

Have people with 20ths noticed that the Silver Surfer changes to a more golden color over time perhaps? Rich has said (on his web site, I think) that about one third of the 20ths he's seen had some discoloration on the Silver Surfer.

What have other players noticed? I guess that's my main reason for posting.

Thanks.

#8 ·
Dunno if this helps but I had a JS10th body with a JS1 neck...kind of a hybrid I built.... After about 5 yrs of using it and just leaving on my guitar rack (sometimes in the sun).... The entire front of the guitar turned gold... While the back remained silver......strange!...but looked cool......kinda......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.