NAMM JS? Probably not - Jemsite
JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars Discussion about JS (Joe Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

NAMM JS? Probably not

I am still holding hope for the 3 single coils JS, formerly JS Hendrix. I do however feel with the release of the ART2s it would be fine if they didn't do anything this year. Also last year was the black 2450. Anyone have any hopes, rumors, wishes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:54 AM

Re: NAMM JS? Probably not

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
I am still holding hope for the 3 single coils JS, formerly JS Hendrix. I do however feel with the release of the ART2s it would be fine if they didn't do anything this year. Also last year was the black 2450. Anyone have any hopes, rumors, wishes?
My 2c..... 3 single is dead... no new Japanese JS....(If there is It will be Muscle Car 'X')... and even tho I wont buy one, Id like to see a Premium JS colour change.... something different.... blue, green, etc....

Might be time to get that 2nd 2410 Ive been thinking about....
post #3 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:56 AM

oh and my 'wish'.... Mohogany 24 fret JS, natural wood finish....or..... a 7 string JS.... neither of which are gonna happen but, dreams are free right?
post #4 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
oh and my 'wish'.... Mohogany 24 fret JS, natural wood finish....or..... a 7 string JS.... neither of which are gonna happen but, dreams are free right?
You mean something like this, Sean?

If I was not such a slow builder, I would have liked to build one for you, but as it is, I haven't even finished my alder 24 fretter yet, and my 3-singles clone is still waiting for its body routes and neck build.
post #5 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

My wish would be a JS2000 with Mo'Joe PafJoe in either black with chrome pickups or JS90th paint with chrome pickups.
post #6 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My 2c..... 3 single is dead... no new Japanese JS....(If there is It will be Muscle Car 'X')... and even tho I wont buy one, Id like to see a Premium JS colour change.... something different.... blue, green, etc....

Might be time to get that 2nd 2410 Ive been thinking about....
Just curious why a second 2410 when you have both 2450s, isn't that basically three of the same thing?
post #7 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:16 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Why would Ibanez (a conservative Japanese privately owned company) make a change if people keep buying the same stuff in a different color?

Looking from afar it's clear that sales dictate new models... the best way to (try to) effect change is stop buying more of the same. If distributors know they can guarantee X number of sales to zealots they'll make incremental changes to gain sales. This is a very old playbook.
post #8 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I think any thing that start with "I wish" has absolutely no hope it will happen just what your custom JS might look like. We know these things aren't gonna happen.
post #9 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 12:51 PM

The band I play in tunes to various tuning, CGCFAD, DGCFAD, AGCFAD. Currently I use the 20000 as it's the most stable in this tuning. I need my 2450s for regular gigs and recordings and for teaching. I'd get another 2450/10 because a) I'd block the trem and use it as a back up guitar for gigs in band #1 and b) I know where I can get one relatively cheap....it's an option.... then again, so is a 2nd 2000. I find the 6 and 1600 less stable in lower tunings.
post #10 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
You mean something like this, Sean?

If I was not such a slow builder, I would have liked to build one for you, but as it is, I haven't even finished my alder 24 fretter yet, and my 3-singles clone is still waiting for its body routes and neck build.
If it came with an Edge trem and Cosmo hardware I'd be sold!
post #11 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Why would Ibanez (a conservative Japanese privately owned company) make a change if people keep buying the same stuff in a different color?

Looking from afar it's clear that sales dictate new models... the best way to (try to) effect change is stop buying more of the same. If distributors know they can guarantee X number of sales to zealots they'll make incremental changes to gain sales. This is a very old playbook.
Isn't it really up to Joe? If he decides next year to do a JS with one pickup in green and purple polka dot, I'm sure it would happen.
post #12 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Isn't it really up to Joe? If he decides next year to do a JS with one pickup in green and purple polka dot, I'm sure it would happen.
Must make sense to both Ibanez and the endorser. If Ibanez deemed that not marketable it wouldn't appear. If an Endorser wanted that much control he/she would start their own guitar company and build a distribution network worldwide.

The problem is people think about this from their perspective (as the fan/zealot "i want this") not of the worldwide business perspective. Rejiggering the routes for pickups would not be priority for Ibanez vs changing paint color.

Plus for example if you have 3 singles (likely stacked humbuckers anyways) that changes the tone and Joe looks like he's pimping axes (which at this point is almost a given anyways but i digress).
post #13 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Must make sense to both Ibanez and the endorser. If Ibanez deemed that not marketable it wouldn't appear. If an Endorser wanted that much control he/she would start their own guitar company and build a distribution network worldwide.

The problem is people think about this from their perspective (as the fan/zealot "i want this") not of the worldwide business perspective. Rejiggering the routes for pickups would not be priority for Ibanez vs changing paint color.

Plus for example if you have 3 singles (likely stacked humbuckers anyways) that changes the tone and Joe looks like he's pimping axes (which at this point is almost a given anyways but i digress).
Well Joe had spoken several times that he had prototypes etc, and Rich has said Joe has had ideas about 3 singles going back to the early JS models... I guess for whatever reason they deem it not right for the line. Then again, you have to try new things cause you never know whats gonna be popular with the masses... like the new Woody Jem, I dunno what sales are like but seems to be a popular look for people. I guess if Ibanez wants some quick cash, why not a run of RG550s, some neon Jems or some hand drawn JS models?.... oh....wait....
post #14 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

Are the JS series of guitars for Joe or something to experiment with hoping maybe one creating will be "popular for the masses". it's the non-sig lines where you experiment.

I don't think the JS is "popular for the masses" however - regardless of feature set. It's a cool, niche product though (that appeared 2-3 years after his peak - Surfin - when shred was dead in mass-market) and kept going by a loyal fanbase.

I have no doubt the Woody Jem was Hoshino driven and not expected to be "popular with the masses" but with the intended niche audience. Really it's just a new finish/art/gimmick to sell JEM fans at Premium price after collecting sales data for a few years making it economically viable. Remember the UV was the idea of one guy at Ibanez not Vai.

It says Ibanez in large letters and JS (or JEM) in small letters for a reason.
post #15 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I don't believe it is really up to Joe. Maybe he starts the idea that lead to prototypes but I agree that marketability has more to do with what makes the final release than artist desires. I doubt Steve Vai really wants a bunch of premiums built, it is just selling very well so it's in their interests to do it. I'm sure Steve has a Japanese Woody for himself.

Tags
jss , namm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode