Pre JS radius question - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars
JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars Discussion about JS (Joe Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars

Old 03-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Pre JS radius question

Hello ladies and gents. Cool site.

Question for the pre-JS 540r gurus. I picked up an '88 a while back and I'm wondering if the pickups are original. They don't have the white "IBZ" printed on them like all the others do in the pics I've seen. They look the part (from what I can tell anyway), they just don't have the ink.

The humbucker is a (USA) dimarzio,, are these what the factory was installing back then? Not sure what the singles are as I haven't yet pulled them and looked for an ID.

Is there a chance that any shipped without the IBZ printed on them? Or are they either: not original or someone rubbed the ink off?

I'm also curious what the ballpark retail was when they were new, if anyone has that info.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Reviews: 11

Re: Pre JS radius question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenezz View Post
Hello ladies and gents. Cool site.

Question for the pre-JS 540r gurus. I picked up an '88 a while back and I'm wondering if the pickups are original. They don't have the white "IBZ" printed on them like all the others do in the pics I've seen. They look the part (from what I can tell anyway), they just don't have the ink.

The humbucker is a (USA) dimarzio,, are these what the factory was installing back then? Not sure what the singles are as I haven't yet pulled them and looked for an ID.

Is there a chance that any shipped without the IBZ printed on them? Or are they either: not original or someone rubbed the ink off?

I'm also curious what the ballpark retail was when they were new, if anyone has that info.

Thanks!
one of mine is missing the "ibz/usa" print. But pickup swaps are far to common and easy to do to to rule that out.

retail new was 900$, or so I've been informed.

In the future, to help keep things clean and organized, we put 540r stuff in the "other ibanez" section, just to prevent any confusion, because they may look similar, but really arent the same at all, in any way. Back to back they even look a smidge different.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
one of mine is missing the "ibz/usa" print. But pickup swaps are far to common and easy to do to to rule that out.

retail new was 900$, or so I've been informed.

In the future, to help keep things clean and organized, we put 540r stuff in the "other ibanez" section, just to prevent any confusion, because they may look similar, but really arent the same at all, in any way. Back to back they even look a smidge different.
Thanks for the info LP, and sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I actually put some thought into deciding which was the most appropriate forum ,,, and STILL got it wrong!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Thanks for the info LP, and sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I actually put some thought into deciding which was the most appropriate forum ,,, and STILL got it wrong!
its cool dude, Im no moderator, just letting you know where we keep things at.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
(a)

Quote:
They don't have the white "IBZ" printed on them like all the others do in the pics I've seen. They look the part (from what I can tell anyway), they just don't have the ink.
I bought an 87 540R some time back that also had no apparent white IBZ on any the pups. But... much later I thought I detected something there. With a small magnifying glass, I was able to discern the faint outline of the long gone "IBZ" on both the single coil covers and on the humbucker. It had simply been worn away and wasn't visible to the unaided eye.

Also, I believe all of the early IBZ humbuckers had "Made in USA" stamped on the rear.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
I bought an 87 540R some time back that also had no apparent white IBZ on any the pups. But... much later I thought I detected something there. With a small magnifying glass, I was able to discern the faint outline of the long gone "IBZ" on both the single coil covers and on the humbucker. It had simply been worn away and wasn't visible to the unaided eye.

Also, I believe all of the early IBZ humbuckers had "Made in USA" stamped on the rear.
Wow, thanks stratoskier.

With some careful buffing with a Q-tip, I was able to make out an extremely faded "U" on the singles covers. I kept going and got part of an "S". I think there's more there, but I'm going to dig up a better magnifying glass and I'll have to try to clean it a little more without rubbing off what's left.

Can't find anything at all on the front of the humbucker though.

Tags
1988 , 540r , factory , pickups , radius

Show/Hide Posting Rules