<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars

JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars Discussion about JS (Joe Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars

Old 05-28-2004, 08:27 PM

How deep is the trem cavity? Is there a padding under the trem b/n the trem and the body?

If you really want a lot more pullback (like insane to where the strings would hit the frets)........after neck shimming, you can route the trem cavity a little deeper to allow for more pull back.......but this is only if neck shimming doesn't make you happy.

This would be a luthier's job......unless you like taking chances
Old 05-29-2004, 08:47 AM

Thanks all.

Rich or anyone who knows: closing the trem posts almost all the way (to make the action lower) , causes the trem to hit that wooden step in the cavity? (im talking about edge pro)

what i figured is my action is too high to start with, so when trying to make it lower, i need to almost close the trem poosts all the way.
because when i loosen it a little, the trem does not hit the cavity, and it can move freely. prob is the action is high as hell.

so only sulution is shim the neck u say?

thanks
Old 05-29-2004, 10:10 AM
(a)
Vendor

It sounds like you're trying to get extremely low action, but that's how to sort it, yes
Old 05-29-2004, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
It sounds like you're trying to get extremely low action, but that's how to sort it, yes
hehe not at all. im just looking for an average action. atm my action is twice as high as my acoustic guitar. its totally unplayable. I cant even bend a string without my finger stuck below the upper string.

funny thing is my trem angle is dead on, and the action studs (the trem posts), are closed almost all the way.

on a different guitar this setup would make the string choke on the frets because action is too low

man i dont know why i need to shim a neck of a guitar i baught yesterday.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:16 PM

Listening to you being all clueless I'm starting to doubt that's you playing on all these cool files posted in the "Upload pictures and sound" section as I learned to setup guitars years before I learned to play them properly ..................and then you have your mate post with your user name to tell us about a problem with your guitar.........???

I mean this site is a wealth of knowlege but it's also filled with clueless people answering when they have NO idea what the question is and how to remedy it.
Weird.

ilia
Old 05-29-2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Listening to you being all clueless I'm starting to doubt that's you playing on all these cool files posted in the "Upload pictures and sound" section as I learned to setup guitars years before I learned to play them properly ..................and then you have your mate post with your user name to tell us about a problem with your guitar.........???

I mean this site is a wealth of knowlege but it's also filled with clueless people answering when they have NO idea what the question is and how to remedy it.
Weird.

ilia
dude whats your problem? if you dont feel like helping, dont help, but dont fill the thread with your BS. my friend was in my room and wrote the original question. why is that so strange to you.

so give me a break and go "i can fix it and u'r not" in some other thread.

another patronizing troll.. just what i (dont) need to help me fix the guitar.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:59 AM

That's just the thing - I do feel like helping and that's why if you go up you can count how many times I posted "Shim your neck".
I do apologise for being so whiny though - totally uncalled for.
Sorry.

ilia
Old 06-17-2004, 11:04 AM

if you really just bought it yesterday then take it to the dealer.

i also would not shim a neck of a guitar i just bought, you can expect a working guitar for the price you paid, to be honest.

ibanez DO make mistakes, sometimes, though... and the problem described by you seems like one, at least if i understood it correctly. but i think the graphical thing up there explained it pretty well.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:41 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa
if you really just bought it yesterday then take it to the dealer.

i also would not shim a neck of a guitar i just bought, you can expect a working guitar for the price you paid, to be honest.

ibanez DO make mistakes, sometimes, though... and the problem described by you seems like one, at least if i understood it correctly. but i think the graphical thing up there explained it pretty well.
You're obviously not speaking from experience because every JS needs a shim to get good pullup range

His only problem is the same with all of them, it needs a neck shim. [2004's are being cut with more angle built into the pocket and if the factory installs a shim [typical for the US market, atypical for overseas] they're fine as is.]
Old 06-17-2004, 12:12 PM

Also here in the UK if you find a shop that has 2 of them in stock I'll eat my hat.
Returning one and asking for a replacement to be ordered in - 2-3 months wait without 1100 and without a guitar - not what I'd call wise.

ilia
Old 06-17-2004, 12:14 PM
(a)
Vendor

And think of hanban in Israel I think?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:40 PM

i had the same problem with my RG's. i think what this guy is saying is that the trem isn't hitting the body under the trem posts, but on the other end of the trems baseplate. He is saying, I believe, that the pieces that lock the string at the bridge are hitting on the wood of the body behind them in the direction of the bottom strap button. On my guitars it was the piece for locking the low E string. I haven't found a way around it other than have the trem cavity re-routed to make enough clearance. I'd rather not butcher my guitars so I had the trems blocked.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:00 PM
(a)
Vendor

cough**neck shim**cough
Old 06-17-2004, 09:07 PM

Hey guys.

Sorry for late response...im in classes most of the day..

Anyway, I managed to get my JS in pretty good action, altho its a little high, I Kinda adjusted myself to it. i just played a little with the posts and angle to get the best action i can, and still get enough pullup range. altho its still hit the wood when you pull up, i still have anough room to mess around with the trem. I hardly pull the trem up, not to mention that i hardly even install the trem bar when i play.

In any case, I guess what the guitar needed is just a little time to set in and adjsut herself to my playing..When i baught it it was stiff as hell. its a lot smoother now.

Rich and all the guys who helped, thanks alot for your tips, really appreciate it. maybe as a later point i will shim the neck, but for now i got the guitar playing real nice for me. just read what Rich said about all JS's need to be shimmed to get good range, im pretty sure he's right since he deals with so many JS's and knows what he's talking about.

and dex: sorry for my last post, it was in the same day i baught it and i was pissed as hell over this. I take back what i said, didnt mean to be mean.

Take care all.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:11 PM
(a)
Vendor

OK, but, it's a 10 minute job and you'd have the setup the way you want it!!!

Tags
acoustic guitar, edge bridge, guitar playing, guitar tech, hoshino usa, neck pockets, neck shim, pro edge, strap button

Show/Hide Posting Rules