<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars

JS (Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars Discussion about JS (Joe Satriani Model) Ibanez Guitars

Old 06-17-2004, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
OK, but, it's a 10 minute job and you'd have the setup the way you want it!!!
man i wish we had some1 like you over here

i really dont know how to do this, and i need to send the guitar across the country to get it done in the lab.

the store i baught it from cant do it...

funny thing is i never even took off a guitar neck in all my years of playing.. i guess im not that good with the tech part of a guitar...
Old 06-17-2004, 08:22 PM
(a)
Vendor

Tech section.

Pull the trem with the strings on, pull the neck, tape in neck shim, reverse, done.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Tech section.

Pull the trem with the strings on, pull the neck, tape in neck shim, reverse, done.
tempting

maybe ill give it a go saturday. ill let you know (in tech section) when i start
Old 06-17-2004, 08:29 PM

hanban,

ok take a deep breath and read Rich's neck shimming tutorial on his site. I have been throughy the exact same problem as you with my 7vwh. My trem angle was dead on and i'd lowered the bridge as far as it would go but my action was still very very high, completeley unplayable. I am/was exactly the same as you been playing for years and never gone anywahere near my guitars with a screw driver! until Mr Harris website came into my life ha ha

The only solution is to shim the neck yourself. Its scary yes to take the neck off a $2000 (whatever price i guess) guitar you've JUST bought, but it will completely be worth it if you do it slowly and carefully.

This all leads me to become more and more dis-enchanted with ibanez . WHY on earth sell a guitar that is unplayable without a shim, and then not shim it themselves!?!? Surely there are legal grounds for this as they are taking money for a product that needs further work to acheive the features/playability they say their guitars are capable of. Its disgusting.

I took the plunge though and now i've shimmed all my guitars, filled trem blades etc and learned a heck of a lot. Dex was right all along only he was being a bit of a c.ock about telling you, people should understand the frustration and panranoia after you've just dropped all that cash for your new baby.

One further bamboozling fact though is that it appears that the US ibanezs (RG;s for sure) come PRE-SHIMMED cause i bought a 7620 whilst over there and lo and behold it was fine and shimmed. I dunno

good luck with it anyways if you're sitll not sure and you can manage then its not worth damaging the guitar for (which you wont unless let a monkey follow the tutorial). However if the guitar isn't playing right and you've paid all that money its almost worse than having a go and botching it up...at least you will have tried!

Track
Old 06-17-2004, 08:33 PM
(a)
Vendor

Until this year you still had to add another shim [in the US] if you wanted ample pull up range.

Track is talking about the instructions in the used guitar primer, removing the neck, neck shim, etc. Removing the trem is in the regular tech section.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 PM

No worries dude - I am very anoying.
It comes natural to me.....

I know that it seems scarry to take a neck off but try and do it on your least expensive guitar first.
I'm sure there must be a tech somewhere close to you - try a notice on the notice board at uni (you are at uni, right?).
Just put something like "Competent guitar tech needed to install a neck shim" or at your local guitar store ask who do they use for refrets and major jobs and then just call him yourself.
This would be such a minor job for someone "in the know" that they might let you come in and watch how it's done.

ilia
Old 06-17-2004, 08:38 PM

Rich, do you not have any sort of contact, sway, word of influence with ibanez factory? i mean if you do tell them, ask them, beg them to shim the necks properly for world market!!!

erghhg i have a total love/hate relationship with my ibanez's these days

track
Old 06-17-2004, 08:40 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1
unfortunately ibanez japan ignored the plea(s) of the #1 guy in Hoshino USA (since departed). you do the math... glen
Old 06-17-2004, 08:41 PM
(a)
Vendor

If I did I wouldn't still be grinding .5mm off the bottom of most nuts

JS's typically have snug neck pockets. Just be very careful not to **** the neck in any direction but gently pull it straight up [not toward the headstock!] and out of the pocket.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:43 PM

side note: dex, nice one for appologizing to the dude - i know it can get frustrating with same ole tech questions and all but we are all here to help. now i feel bad for sayin u were a bit of a c.ock you were just ahving a bad day?

doh ok lets all type nice again :P and persuade hanban to shim shim shim.

inabit

track
Old 06-18-2004, 08:23 AM

Quote:
You're obviously not speaking from experience because every JS needs a shim to get good pullup range

His only problem is the same with all of them, it needs a neck shim. [2004's are being cut with more angle built into the pocket and if the factory installs a shim [typical for the US market, atypical for overseas] they're fine as is.]
Well, as you will remember I got a JS90th which is equipped with an Edge Bridge.
I can pull up until the screws hit the bottom of the trem cavity... and I did not put any neckshim whatsoever in there...
Maybe the guy who owned it before me did so but I doubt that...

Apparently my experience just differs...
Old 06-18-2004, 09:02 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa
I can pull up until the screws hit the bottom of the trem cavity... and I did not put any neckshim whatsoever in there...
You can pull them all up till you hit the bottom of the cavity [unless you wind the action down to noting then you'd probably hit the shelf first [case by case basis of course, not all neck heels are the same thickness and ditto on the pocket depths], the problem is it gives you 2-3 steps of range at best. Not enough to so Satch squeels

Tags
acoustic guitar, edge bridge, guitar playing, guitar tech, hoshino usa, neck pockets, neck shim, pro edge, strap button

Show/Hide Posting Rules