Ibanez JEM Forum banner

What Joe uses on his tour....

6K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  OCDemon 
#1 ·
I was at the latest JS gig in Vienna yesterday and it was funny to see what Joe now uses on stage. On his previous tours I was used to the image, that he was changing guitars very often, based on the song etc.

Yesterday Joe was playing his new JS 2400 (one in white and one in a nice orange) almost exclusively. Only for 2 songs Joe changed to a JS 1200 CA. No BD or some of his older JSes was seen on stage. He played well over 2 hours and many new, but also old time favorites. Especially Crystal Planet and Satch Boogie had a total cool sound with the 2400.

Beside the color I did not see a difference between the orange 2400 and the stock colored one he used.

Just thought I share this, as I found it really neat.

#4 ·
Interesting to hear that he used those pretty exclusively. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't just marketing to promote the new model. It just surprises me that for so long Joe used mainly 22 fret JS1000/1200's and all of a sudden he's using mainly his 2400 and it seems like every photo has him with the white one in hand after the photos of him with the red one in hand for years....
I wonder if the orange one you saw had a sustainiac in it (if it's the one he used on recordings for BSWW).
What was the setlist?

#7 ·
He was rarely using the 24 fret in the web videos they were showing on the website right before the CD was released though. It might be marketing, but it also might be more manageable to just have a few guitars for touring. Being that the 24fret is the new gadget he's got, he may just be more into it right now.

It's been a few years since I've seen him live, but I've saw him something like 6 or 7 times in the 1990s and early 2000s. I don't recall him changing guitars mid-set a whole lot back then. I think that Crystal Planet or maybe a G3 tour was the last time I saw him. Seems like he was using a Chromeboy exclusively then, but I may be wrong. Lost a lot of brain cells and had 2 kids since then.

#6 ·
The 1200 has the sustainiac in at and the other two 2400s don't. From what I have seen online it appears that all three guitars are tuned to Eflat and that his old songs are being played in that tuning so that could account for songs sounding different more than the extra two frets.

#12 ·
Having watched the Marshall video in the other thread I think that the fact Joe's using a customised JVM410 for all of his tones could also account for the change in sound. Unless I'm mistaken, until now its been a clean amp and distortion pedals. On that video he says the satchurator and ice-9 are barely used and that he's striving to get all of his tones from the Marshall.......I bet Vox are over the moon!

#8 ·
The last couple of tours, from which Satriani Live and Live in Paris were shot, he was changing his guitars pretty frequently during the show. He also was quoted at some point, don't know where but I remember reading, that he does swap guitars for particular songs because of the mood or feel of the guitar paired with that song...or something of that nature.

I've also read on here somewhere that his JS1200's have the single coil stacked humbucker of the 2400's in the neck position with a blank filler for the other space... so who knows.

It's a good thing that he's evolving away from just 1000/1200's and adding a little variety ;)

#10 ·
The last couple of tours, from which Satriani Live and Live in Paris were shot, he was changing his guitars pretty frequently during the show. He also was quoted at some point, don't know where but I remember reading, that he does swap guitars for particular songs because of the mood or feel of the guitar paired with that song...or something of that nature.

I've also read on here somewhere that his JS1200's have the single coil stacked humbucker of the 2400's in the neck position with a blank filler for the other space... so who knows.

It's a good thing that he's evolving away from just 1000/1200's and adding a little variety ;)
The JS1200 he uses has a sustaniac pickup on it I believe

#9 ·
For both the Crystal Planet and Engines tours he used Chromeboy, and Pearly for most of the set, and then the Snakes guitar for songs in dropped D. For Strange Beautiful Music he added the JS seven string prototype and the double neck for the specific songs they served. Then when Pearly was stolen he started to use less personally important guitars so it was more JS1000s. Then since the JS1200 (G3 03- Is there love in space era) it's been more varied with up to three four guitars per show, usually JS1200, white JS1000, some other JS1000 and the PRM prototype for a while, then the PRM. In one form or another the JS1200 has never left his live guitar options since it's release including this tour though it's the one with the sustainiac in it.

#15 ·
Just saw him at the House of Blues in Orlando Friday night. He mostly used the orange 2400 and traded off with the white one. He had a red one for a couple songs as well as his new acoustic. I was against the railing and enjoyed the show. His bassist is a madman! He was really getting into the show and kept the audience cranked up. Joe's sound is fantastic live. I was pretty much speechless watching him play.

#16 ·
Was there in Orlando too sixx. I didn't want to fight the crowd, but had a great view - standing directly in front of Joe's side, but near the back bar - so I could see right over the crowd.

The red one had the sustainer as some others have pointed out I'm pretty sure. I thought he sounded better than any other time I've seen him. Might be just overly excited since it's recent. Last tour I saw him was Crystal Planet, but I've seen him 5 or 6other times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.