540R Radius maple board project - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

540R Radius maple board project

Hi,

Here's another project I recently finished. This is a 540R body mated with a rare maple fretboard Ultra neck. Apparently, although the 540R never appeared with a maple board in the U.S. catalogs, there were a few sold here. This neck was one of my very first auction buys back in 2002. At the time, I just wanted a maple board neck and didn't realize what an oddball it was. I ditched the lock nut and replaced it with a fabricated piece of maple notched to accept a regular nut. This neck was on another project for awhile, but it's much happier back liiving on a 540R. Perfect fit: no shims necessary and it plays great.

Other custom features on this project are the "Jewel Green" paint (sort of reminiscent of the JS90 finish), chrome hardware, LoPro Edge trem, locking tuners and HSH pickup config. The pups are a Fred, Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 2.2 single, and an IBZ F1 in the neck. Still deciding if the F1 will stay.

I'm pretty happy with this. I'm a big fan of all things Radii, and this one is so unusual that it fills a special niche.

Cheers,
Bert

Last edited by stratoskier; 01-26-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 03:10 PM

Re: 540R Radius maple board project

Nice guitar though I am not a fan of the natural headstock. Too bad you could not get it to match the body. How well does it stay in tune with just the locking tuners?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

The headstock was originally black. I debated painting it to match the body, and still might do that eventually. Also, in the image, the headstock looks like it's darker than the neck, but that's just something with the lighting from being tilted back. They're really about the same color.

I've been wanting to try the Edge + locking tuner combo for a long time, and this guitar is my test case. Turns out it stays in tune very well. As I do with all my trems, I lube the nut, knife edges, and other friction points.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM

nice i would have thought that was a viper neck like on the 442 radius.

i would love to try that one out. good job!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM

That is one awesome axe! I love radii!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 AM

this guitar is so beautiful it deserves a 5yrs "back to the future" post
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

I didn't expect to see this thread pop back up!

Anyway, I still have (and love) this guitar. I did make a couple of changes after those photos were taken, as per Moebius' suggestions. I put a chrome locking nut on and painted the headstock to match the body. If I get time I'll take some updated photos.

Cheers!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:13 AM

OK, now I really want a maple ultra fret board. Again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst6 View Post
OK, now I really want a maple ultra fret board. Again.
Good luck

It's been haunting us both for a few years, i suppose

Tags
540r , radius , ultra neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode