<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Re: Anyone here have an Ibanez RT 650?

I have a red RT650 I bought new in the mid 90s. My second guitar. Was one of those guitar you didn't know it had so much potential. Over the years I replaced wear items like the input jack, 5-way switch, strap locks. I'm a real fan of the coil tap. Had some fretwork done usual guitar shop maintenance.

Mine is particularly unique though. I run a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. The single and the neck humbucker are the originals. I also had the body routed out and professionally installed an Original Floyd Rose.

It is my favorite guitar in the collection. I can't tell you how many compliments I get on it. I definitely keep it shiny!

Someday I'll look for a blue one in excellent condition and I'll mod it with a Floyd Rose and duncan bridge pickup as well. What am amazing guitar!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdok33 View Post
I have a red RT650 I bought new in the mid 90s. My second guitar. Was one of those guitar you didn't know it had so much potential. Over the years I replaced wear items like the input jack, 5-way switch, strap locks. I'm a real fan of the coil tap. Had some fretwork done usual guitar shop maintenance.
This.

I like my RT650 better than 99% of the guitars I play. I don't know what's going on. There are other guitars that I want to like better, but every time I play the RT650 it's just like this is perfect, there is nothing I would change about this guitar.

Quote:
Mine is particularly unique though. I run a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. The single and the neck humbucker are the originals. I also had the body routed out and professionally installed an Original Floyd Rose.
Post pics!

The Viper neck has a 305mm radius. Isn't that a bit smaller than the necks on most Floyd Rose equipped guitars? Did you have any action issues?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM

i have owned 3 RT guitars. my first was an RT650 blue that i put an air norton and tone zone is. it, along with my SC420 were my main gigging axes at the time. that band broke up and i traded it on jemsite for my first RG520qs. i later regretted it and came across a red RT650 that had been signed by andy timmons on the back of the headstock. i have duncans in it now: stag mag, vintage flat, and custom. it is an amazing strat meets RG vibe and one i adore. the trem feels much like the american standard when set parallel. it dumps very well and with the magnum locks came stay in tune well, too. my third is a refinished RT150 that has become a frankenstein. fender pickups(black canyon, amer standard, and atomic 2) as well as schalller locking tuners and graphite saddles make this a fun axe to play. i had dimarzios in it before, but always found them lacking. the 5 piece alder body was not air norton and tone zone friendly.

rich
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 AM

I recently acquired my dream humbucker guitar from a local builder in my area...and I still can't put down my RT650! Mine definitely needs some work- I'm going to put in a bone nut and install string trees to improve sustain and keep the high E from popping out. I'm always experimenting with pickups, and a previous owner removed the push-pull pots (why?) so I'll be reinstalling those. I also swapped the Gotoh locking tuners for non-locking ones- I like to use lots of string wraps to increase the break angle over the nut.

All that said, the overall feel of my RT is wonderful, I love the Viper neck, and I must've just gotten lucky with this particular piece of alder because it has the most lively and amazing ring to it. Very bright but balanced at the same time, and much more character than any basswood guitar I've ever played (unplugged and otherwise). Sustain is terrific, especially compared to RGs with floating trems. I get even more satisfaction knowing that other than one filled-in finish chip on the back, it's in virtual timewarp condition from '92 and I got it with a hardshell case for $200. Can't help but brag.

Mine is red, I'm either going to find a creme or tortoise pickguard for it. I'll post pics once it's complete.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
This.

I like my RT650 better than 99% of the guitars I play. I don't know what's going on. There are other guitars that I want to like better, but every time I play the RT650 it's just like this is perfect, there is nothing I would change about this guitar.

Post pics!

The Viper neck has a 305mm radius. Isn't that a bit smaller than the necks on most Floyd Rose equipped guitars? Did you have any action issues?
I'll post some pics soon. I agree, for some reason I have always favored the RT650 over all my other guitars. The neck is a tinge smaller than standard necks with floyds. I think I used an R2 sized nut, don't remember. The guy who did the work is somewhat well known for those perfect attention to detail repairs. Luckily it plays right and I have no action issues. I do worry for when I will have to refret the neck!!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM

I'm exactly the same. I got a 1991 540S LTD last month and was gaga over it until I picked up my RT again a few days ago. Makes me feel stupid for having any other guitars.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
I recently acquired my dream humbucker guitar from a local builder in my area...and I still can't put down my RT650! Mine definitely needs some work- I'm going to put in a bone nut and install string trees to improve sustain and keep the high E from popping out.
I had to do that. Most of the RT guitars I've seen pictures of have string trees, so I think it was a common issue.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:33 AM

So far I have added a string tree for the E and B strings, swapped out the stock bridge for a Wilkinson VS100, replaced the 5 way(it was about shot after 20 years), dropped the push/pull in favor of letting the coil tap happen via the 5 way switch, and swapped out the pickups for an Evo2 bridge and a Breed neck. I love both of those pick ups but neither were quite right, so I hunted down a set of Gravity Storms and a Jem Single coil.

Other than replacing the tuners, I think I've done everything I wanted and couldn't be happier with the results. I may try replacing the nut at some point, but at the same time I feel I've hit on a winning combination and I'm a little afraid to mess with anything else.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM

How are the Gravity Storms? I've been considering those for my RG520 and am interested overall. I have the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set in my RT and I'm pretty pleased, but I might like something a little more harmonically complex.

Also been considering a VS100, which I had in an old Washburn MG series and didn't realize how good it was until I got rid of it. The TZ trem is not holding tune like I want it to.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 PM

I haven't tried many replacement pickups, but I'm really liking the Gravity Storms so far.

Compared to the Evo2 they are a little less "hi-fi" and overdriven, but they are not as warm and fat as the Breed. Unlike the Breed though they cut through a mix.

The only other pickup I've had is a PAF Pro years ago. I think they are similar to the PAF, but with more output, better harmonics(especially the neck!), and a bit warmer. Also that "vowel" thing that the PAF's do is moved higher in the frequency range. I would say they are definitely a "best of" between the three aforementioned pickups.

Out of what I've tried, I really like these the best for the RT650. I'm certainly not planning on replacing them anytime soon.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 AM
(a)

Reviews: 2

I guess I should include mine in this thread.......... I doubt it's gonna sell anyway......LOL

Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 AM
LonePhantom  is online

Reviews: 120

I'm going to say it again- WANT!!! Man yours is so nice mate.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 PM

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM
LonePhantom  is online

Reviews: 120

Looks good!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM

OK, I've had a few months to live with these and I have to say I'm really happy with the Gravity Storms.

I had an Evo2 in the bridge and a Breed in the neck. I really liked both of these pickups, but they weren't really a "matched" set if that makes any sense. Each one was definitely it's own thing. The thing that really bugged me was the volume spike from the neck to the bridge. I had purchased an Evolution neck to pair with the Evo2, but stumbled on the used Gravity Storm set before I got a chance to put it in this guitar. Another problem is, I'm a Marshall guy. The Breed works well with the Marshalls, but the Evo2 was a little bright. It took a bit of tweaking to get a really good, workable sound, whereas the Gravity Storms are pretty much plug and play where the Marshalls are concerned.

The neck pick up is loud. Really loud. Harmonics are a breeze with this thing which I have never had with a neck pickup. And yet, it has a single coil quality to it. I have to admit I was missing the Breed's almost Santana-esque sound, but I found it by rolling the tone back on the Gravity Storm a bit.

As for the bridge pickup, I had to steal a line from a review on Musician's friend; "Think of this as the ultimate Steve Vai pickup, as it has the tonal qualities of the Evolution, the midrange of the EVO2, and the vintage warmth of the Breed." Yeah. That really says it. Someone else described it as an AT-1 but louder. I've never played an AT-1 pickup but I was considering one before stumbling onto the GS. The GS seemed to do everything I was hoping the AT-1 would do.

The bridge and neck both clean up nicely with the volume rolled off. I can dial in a pretty crunchy Marshall tone with the humbuckers then switch to the 2 or 4 position with the tap and have an almost clean sound

As you can tell by my pickup choices, I'm a Vai fan. The funny thing is, Vai's tone doesn't always do it for me. Sometimes it's kind of the Diet RC Cola of guitar tones. I stated before that the Gravity Storms were kind of a "best of" of Vai's previous pickups and I still maintain that opinion, but the Gravity Storms really don't sound like the typical Vai pickups. They have a lot of the qualities of the previous pickups, but definitely it's own sound. I think they are considerably more versatile than any of Vai's previous models.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings here. I hope some of that made some degree of sense.

Last edited by Kelly Briggs; 09-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Show/Hide Posting Rules