<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Talking

baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP

Hello All,

I've read about 20 threads concerning pickup swap for a baswood body guitar.

Problem is - I only get to do this once - I'm geting a used galaxy white rg2550z half priced in mint condition BUT with stock IBZ..

Before you flame me how to use search tools in jemsite - I'll summerize my final decision:

My style of playing is mainly blues,prog.rock,all sort of roots of metal with satriani / vai /gilbert fusion. Lots of shredding (80's metal) - more fusion.
I use tremolo allot - actually I think I discovered the durabillity of EZII - 3.5 years of everyday use. That's as far as it goes.

So I need the playability and most of all=> harmonic overtones <=without sacrifising tone !!!!

decision :
1. paf pro / fred
I'm afraid this selction won't be enough when I pour in some metal gain
1.a mo'joe / steve's special ( my 1st favourite )

2. Liquifire / Crunch Lab

3. Air zone / Breed or Paf Pro Breed
( Actually Alaska sudgested evos and breed in many threads I've read)

I need harmonics , harmonics is what I need
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Reviews: 15

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP

I have similar musical taste and I have the CL/LF in my RG520. While it is a mahogany body, the CL sounds a tad scooped to my ears. For what you're wanting to do, I've been enjoying the MoJoe/PAFJoe in another guitar when I wanna get my hair metal on, plus if you roll back the volume on the neck pickup it makes for a nice jazz/blues tone.

Another combo to consider might be a Super Distortion/PAF Pro. That'll probably get you closer to what you're looking for than the MoJoe/PAFJoe setup.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
I have similar musical taste and I have the CL/LF in my RG520. While it is a mahogany body, the CL sounds a tad scooped to my ears. For what you're wanting to do, I've been enjoying the MoJoe/PAFJoe in another guitar when I wanna get my hair metal on, plus if you roll back the volume on the neck pickup it makes for a nice jazz/blues tone.

Another combo to consider might be a Super Distortion/PAF Pro. That'll probably get you closer to what you're looking for than the MoJoe/PAFJoe setup.
Thanks for your input

The thing is I really want MoJoe in the neck jsut because its hotter than paf joe or paf pro, for the bridge I might consider Super Distortion - It is a pickup going around for decades....
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Reviews: 4

My '87 RG550(basswood) I has an Evo in the bridge & a Paf Pro in the neck. It's really hard to beat a Evo for harmonic content. I play it through my SLO 100 clone (w/a TS9).
I can hit a pinched harmonic dang near anyplace on the neck. Remember,you need a amp that reproduces harmonics well, as some amps are "closed up" more than others.....
Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
My '87 RG550(basswood) I has an Evo in the bridge & a Paf Pro in the neck. It's really hard to beat a Evo for harmonic content. I play it through my SLO 100 clone (w/a TS9).
I can hit a pinched harmonic dang near anyplace on the neck. Remember,you need a amp that reproduces harmonics well, as some amps are "closed up" more than others.....
cheers - evo it is

I do have an un used Paf Pro - somwhere..... gear is pilling up slowly over time

but yeah - thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
Marshall. Kelly Simonz said yesterday at a marshall clinic that basically everyone stats on a marshall, changes to something else and always ends up coming back home. He called them "cheaters" LOL
Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 AM

Update:

spoke to dimarzio tech the other day - AND drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...drum sound

Got totatally different answer

Steve Luke. neck with Evo bridge so ---- I guitar full of steve's

I'm sticking with Mo'Joe in neck and Super Distortion or Steve's Special in bridge

PS> Just Recieved The Guitar - 2550z with Maple Frets, Searched for it for quite some time now

Although the guitar has its Stock IBZ's .. I gotta be honest - the guitar is flawless -

I've spent the whole night searching for a *ding, mistakes in finish, tremolo, ...After lowering the Single pup and rising the others I manged to get hold of some sweat harmonics ...SO I'm satisfied the way it is ( for now)

Thank you All for your inputs -

ROCK ON!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_stef View Post
Update:

spoke to dimarzio tech the other day - AND drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...drum sound

Got totatally different answer

Steve Luke. neck with Evo bridge so ---- I guitar full of steve's

I'm sticking with Mo'Joe in neck and Super Distortion or Steve's Special in bridge

PS> Just Recieved The Guitar - 2550z with Maple Frets, Searched for it for quite some time now

Although the guitar has its Stock IBZ's .. I gotta be honest - the guitar is flawless -

I've spent the whole night searching for a *ding, mistakes in finish, tremolo, ...After lowering the Single pup and rising the others I manged to get hold of some sweat harmonics ...SO I'm satisfied the way it is ( for now)

Thank you All for your inputs -

ROCK ON!!!
BTW, how do the middle tones (the single/neck or single/bridge linked) sound? By lowering the middle, did they get softer?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 AM

In short words they are quiter in sound level - but rich in tone+ sustain - maybe its my amp and my compression pedal doing the job also BUT its still rich in tone

I'm still playing with it dough - my favourite sound is with the single/neck
Old 02-27-2013, 04:27 AM

Harmonics like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XROFYC7z5so

A lot of it is technique. I've heard people whack them out on a stock tele. The right pickups will help a bit, but the right technique will help more - I think. Hard to prove, but that's what I think.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 AM

True - However - My statment is valid for IBZ's -

I've learned my harmonics as kid from DIME ..R.I.P , then I met Satriani (Not in person...damn it) SO .. I can dial singing harmonics squeals as dialing my Pizza order and I know when a guitar /amp cannot dial one.

2550 was an unexpected much pleasent suprise!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 AM

I can post some videos if you like...

Tags
basswood pickups, rg2550z pickups

Show/Hide Posting Rules