<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 PM
satch_stef  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Athens
Posts: 158  -  iTrader: (0)
Talking

baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


Hello All,

I've read about 20 threads concerning pickup swap for a baswood body guitar.

Problem is - I only get to do this once - I'm geting a used galaxy white rg2550z half priced in mint condition BUT with stock IBZ..

Before you flame me how to use search tools in jemsite - I'll summerize my final decision:


My style of playing is mainly blues,prog.rock,all sort of roots of metal with satriani / vai /gilbert fusion. Lots of shredding (80's metal) - more fusion.
I use tremolo allot - actually I think I discovered the durabillity of EZII - 3.5 years of everyday use. That's as far as it goes.


So I need the playability and most of all=> harmonic overtones <=without sacrifising tone !!!!

decision :
1. paf pro / fred
I'm afraid this selction won't be enough when I pour in some metal gain
1.a mo'joe / steve's special ( my 1st favourite )

2. Liquifire / Crunch Lab

3. Air zone / Breed or Paf Pro Breed
( Actually Alaska sudgested evos and breed in many threads I've read)


I need harmonics , harmonics is what I need
quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM
silverctr  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 943  -  iTrader: (4)
Reviews: 15

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


I have similar musical taste and I have the CL/LF in my RG520. While it is a mahogany body, the CL sounds a tad scooped to my ears. For what you're wanting to do, I've been enjoying the MoJoe/PAFJoe in another guitar when I wanna get my hair metal on, plus if you roll back the volume on the neck pickup it makes for a nice jazz/blues tone.

Another combo to consider might be a Super Distortion/PAF Pro. That'll probably get you closer to what you're looking for than the MoJoe/PAFJoe setup.
quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 PM
satch_stef  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Athens
Posts: 158  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
I have similar musical taste and I have the CL/LF in my RG520. While it is a mahogany body, the CL sounds a tad scooped to my ears. For what you're wanting to do, I've been enjoying the MoJoe/PAFJoe in another guitar when I wanna get my hair metal on, plus if you roll back the volume on the neck pickup it makes for a nice jazz/blues tone.

Another combo to consider might be a Super Distortion/PAF Pro. That'll probably get you closer to what you're looking for than the MoJoe/PAFJoe setup.
Thanks for your input

The thing is I really want MoJoe in the neck jsut because its hotter than paf joe or paf pro, for the bridge I might consider Super Distortion - It is a pickup going around for decades....
quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
jl2556  is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tn
Posts: 572  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 4

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


My '87 RG550(basswood) I has an Evo in the bridge & a Paf Pro in the neck. It's really hard to beat a Evo for harmonic content. I play it through my SLO 100 clone (w/a TS9).
I can hit a pinched harmonic dang near anyplace on the neck. Remember,you need a amp that reproduces harmonics well, as some amps are "closed up" more than others.....
quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 PM
satch_stef  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Athens
Posts: 158  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
My '87 RG550(basswood) I has an Evo in the bridge & a Paf Pro in the neck. It's really hard to beat a Evo for harmonic content. I play it through my SLO 100 clone (w/a TS9).
I can hit a pinched harmonic dang near anyplace on the neck. Remember,you need a amp that reproduces harmonics well, as some amps are "closed up" more than others.....
cheers - evo it is

I do have an un used Paf Pro - somwhere..... gear is pilling up slowly over time

but yeah - thanks
quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 AM
MatiasTolkki  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya. Japan
Posts: 2,643  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
My '87 RG550(basswood) I has an Evo in the bridge & a Paf Pro in the neck. It's really hard to beat a Evo for harmonic content. I play it through my SLO 100 clone (w/a TS9).
I can hit a pinched harmonic dang near anyplace on the neck. Remember,you need a amp that reproduces harmonics well, as some amps are "closed up" more than others.....
Marshall. Kelly Simonz said yesterday at a marshall clinic that basically everyone stats on a marshall, changes to something else and always ends up coming back home. He called them "cheaters" LOL
quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 AM
satch_stef  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Athens
Posts: 158  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


Update:


spoke to dimarzio tech the other day - AND drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...drum sound

Got totatally different answer


Steve Luke. neck with Evo bridge so ---- I guitar full of steve's

I'm sticking with Mo'Joe in neck and Super Distortion or Steve's Special in bridge


PS> Just Recieved The Guitar - 2550z with Maple Frets, Searched for it for quite some time now

Although the guitar has its Stock IBZ's .. I gotta be honest - the guitar is flawless -

I've spent the whole night searching for a *ding, mistakes in finish, tremolo, ...After lowering the Single pup and rising the others I manged to get hold of some sweat harmonics ...SO I'm satisfied the way it is ( for now)

Thank you All for your inputs -

ROCK ON!!!
quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 AM
MatiasTolkki  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya. Japan
Posts: 2,643  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_stef View Post
Update:


spoke to dimarzio tech the other day - AND drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...drum sound

Got totatally different answer


Steve Luke. neck with Evo bridge so ---- I guitar full of steve's

I'm sticking with Mo'Joe in neck and Super Distortion or Steve's Special in bridge


PS> Just Recieved The Guitar - 2550z with Maple Frets, Searched for it for quite some time now

Although the guitar has its Stock IBZ's .. I gotta be honest - the guitar is flawless -

I've spent the whole night searching for a *ding, mistakes in finish, tremolo, ...After lowering the Single pup and rising the others I manged to get hold of some sweat harmonics ...SO I'm satisfied the way it is ( for now)

Thank you All for your inputs -

ROCK ON!!!
BTW, how do the middle tones (the single/neck or single/bridge linked) sound? By lowering the middle, did they get softer?
quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 AM
satch_stef  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Athens
Posts: 158  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


In short words they are quiter in sound level - but rich in tone+ sustain - maybe its my amp and my compression pedal doing the job also BUT its still rich in tone

I'm still playing with it dough - my favourite sound is with the single/neck
quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:27 AM
The Euphor  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,559  -  iTrader: (5)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


Harmonics like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XROFYC7z5so

A lot of it is technique. I've heard people whack them out on a stock tele. The right pickups will help a bit, but the right technique will help more - I think. Hard to prove, but that's what I think.
quote
  #11  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 AM
satch_stef  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Athens
Posts: 158  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


True - However - My statment is valid for IBZ's -

I've learned my harmonics as kid from DIME ..R.I.P , then I met Satriani (Not in person...damn it) SO .. I can dial singing harmonics squeals as dialing my Pizza order and I know when a guitar /amp cannot dial one.

2550 was an unexpected much pleasent suprise!!!
quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 AM
satch_stef  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Athens
Posts: 158  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: baswood 2550z OVERTONES - HELP


I can post some videos if you like...
quote
Reply

Tags
basswood pickups, rg2550z pickups

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Show/Hide Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RG 2550z raq44 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 01-05-2011 11:44 AM
Bad Overtones hossluke Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 4 03-16-2010 06:56 AM
about the rg 2550z vampire18 J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars 1 08-09-2009 03:41 AM
Tubes/valves with best harmonic overtones? twooos Gear and Equipment 27 06-01-2008 01:39 PM
The Overtones: Check Us Out! schecter_blue Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 0 12-01-2006 10:10 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by