Change the Edge PRO 2 either to a OFR or a Fixed Bridge - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Change the Edge PRO 2 either to a OFR or a Fixed Bridge

Hey guys,

i would like to replace the Edge Pro II bridge from my 2006 RGT42DX as i am having tunning issues with it (stability).

So either i will replace it for an Original Floyd Rose (i have searched the forum and you guys say it is a direct replacement, so it should not be a problem). And it appears to be cheaper and a tad better than an Edge Pro.

But i would consider also to put a fixed bridge on it, if it is quite cheaper. Is there any fixed bridge for "direct replacement"?

What would you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Change the Edge PRO 2 either to a OFR or a Fixed Bridge

Why buy a fixed bridge? Blocking the Edge Pro II will do the same thing for a lot less work and $$$.

Edge Pro is the direct fit. The OFR "may" fit. It's not guaranteed though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM

I have had really good luck with the Edge Pro in my RG2570, stays in tune great even with trem abuse

But yeah LP has the right idea if you want to go the fixed route, just block the one you have now...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

It's good to see the Edge Pro is fine, nevertheless i've seen opinions in this forum regarding its tuning stability...

LonePhantom, what do you mean by "may" fit? Is this info below not correct?

forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst83402_What-trem-goes-into-what-cavity---MUST-SEE.aspx
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM

That info was para-phrased from a thread from this forum. If you are lucky the OFR will fit the route, meaning that the routes for Edge III equipped guitars aren't quite consistent. Some MAY fit the Edge III cavity, chances are that the locking screws at the back won't clear the cavity, so you'll need to sand/route the back of the cavity. The wings of the baseplate may also cut it fine too.

The Edge Pro's tuning stability is not really that big of an issue. What happened was earlier model Edge and Lo Pro Edges came with locking studs, which gave them a little bit more stability, and lessened the chances of the holes ovelling out. Edge Pros did not get locking studs, so there was a bit of a storm in a teacup from many members here. You can fit the locking studs to the Edge Pro anchors as they are the same size as the Edge/Lo Pro Edge ones. Your main issue will be replacing the crappy Edge III ones if you want a better trem. You'll want to pull the anchors and studs out, redrill to fit the bigger higher quality ones to get the best performance.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Sorry to be slightly off topic...

Anyone know if the Edge Zero II can be replaced with an OFR or Edge Pro?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you LonePhanom for you help!

So i can assume everything you told about the edge III cavity also holds true for the Edge Pro II cavity (my guitar is an RGT42dx Korean model of 2006, so it comes with the Edge Pro II, not the Edge III).

Well if the problem is the need of sanding the part of the wood on the back which is covered by the plastic. hum i think i can do it with no problem
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM

Yeah, sorry, forgot it was Edge Pro II. Pretty much the same yes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERSYN View Post
Sorry to be slightly off topic...

Anyone know if the Edge Zero II can be replaced with an OFR or Edge Pro?
Everything can be replaced if you are willing to do the work. Edge Zero II to OFR or Edge Pro is going to involve a lot of extra work though. It's really not worth it considering the fact that the Edge Zero II is by all reports quite a good bridge.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM

Thats what I thought.

Cheers.

Tags
edge pro 2 , floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode